• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shop Rate

GB2

Old Member
Is there more to this story than what one can read in this thread? If there isn't, then I'm failing to understand the negative attitude towards this poster.

Craig Sjoquist

Same here GB2 ..does not understand the negative attitude towards somebody selling advertising anyway they can, after all if they sell other items and started selling signs so what, we all learned some how and started somewhere.

You rock Adtechia LLC in fact you should pick up a copy of Signcraft this may give some good insight also a Digital Graphics magazine also filled with more current insight I've noticed..

The sign industry has changed folks 3 major times that I have seen and is really going to change the next 10 years again in a another 10.. the young best wake up.

Marlene

Is there more to this story than what one can read in this thread? If there isn't, then I'm failing to understand the negative attitude towards this poster.

me too, I am not sure why this person is getting jumped on.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I think he made a bad first impression there on another thread.

We take clients to lunch, not as much as we used to but whenever we can we will. We also give out Christmas gifts to all active clients. Most just get some South Georgia pecans but our top and most loyal get an actual gift as well. They always love it and are very appreciative. This is not bribing anyone nor is taking them out to lunch before, while, or after being a client.

Maybe this is a sign store issue that design companies (our main product/service) differs from a walk in sign shop. Personally I find the standard "Christmas" card boring and a waste of paper. A more custom letter would be a better "Hey, we're still here!!!!"

And that's what we do every year, something more personal and enjoyable - sugar coated pecans :)

SignManiac

I just throw in the occasional sign on the house for good clients. I don't have time to wine and dine although I wish I did. Goodwill goes a long way in business.

Marlene

we have customers that we have had for years going back to the early 1980's. doing somehting for them at Christmas is what we do as it's our way of saying thanks for the business. they all have had many chances to go with the new guy who under sells things really cheap, the agressive new shop that says they will under cut any price we give and yet they still come back for the service we give. that means a lot so how is it bad to show them by doing something for them? the OP pretty much is doing that and keeping customers coming back so why is this a bad thing? I'm calling Gino out to answer that as he seemed to have an issue with it and I'd like to know how come.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, for many of you…. just read post #4. I’ve already said I have a bad taste in my mouth for ‘brokers’. Now, if I’m supposed to defend myself and explain why, that’s not really an issue, but a waste of time. I already did it for Adtec when he PM-ed me. He wanted to know why I’m on his chit and I explained it to him. He’s the only person I’m jumping on, but if the rest of you need to know, I’ll copy and paste my PM’s to him for you all.

Adtec, I don’t have to learn to read… you need to learn how to communicate. Directly out of your post #9….. We make it a habit to do at least 4 lunches with our clients a month along with buying them theater tickets etc...
With taking a client out 4 times a month, that adds up to one client each week with 4 weeks being the normal week. Multiply that if you have 5 good customers, that takes up a different client each day of the week… four weeks a month. If my math is wrong I apologize, if I misunderstood you…. my bad, but what you have written is how I perceived it. You’re bragging about being a big spender and you got caught and don’t know which way to back-pedal.

Again, for Marlene and some others, I made mention several times of ways to show your appreciation to some of your better clients. I never said we [at our shop] don’t show our gratitude, but we don’t do it by sending them stuff for their kids’ birthdays, anniversary wishes, to the theater, golfing or out to dinner. There are far better ways to show your appreciation to any client… large or small and not look like a used car salesman. There’s no argument from me you have to sometimes do something here or there for certain customers, but what Adtec is talking about is typical of sign brokers or sign reps. Reps from the many vendors we purchase from shower us with all kinds of gifts year round and they usually drop them off or have them shipped directly. In fact a year or two ago…. one of our vendors sent me a fantastic Dell fax, copier, color scanner and laser printer as appreciation for our business. I know that cost a pretty penny. We had another vendor drop all shipping charges regardless of our minimum order. Actually, most of our vendors don’t charge shipping. Others have sent huge cans of snacks and cookies for the guys. However, none of them get into the personal lives for the most part. That’s usually considered taboo. There have been those occasions where we’ll get together with a customer for a dinner or some other event, and we always talk business and then laughingly say…. now we can write it off.

No, I’m not jumping on this Adtec. I’m staying focused and constant. I’m treating him no different than I treat anyone else. I don’t like brokers… and I said that upfront so if he wants to constantly call me out, fine with me. If some of you others want to call me out, I can explain to you why I feel the way I do, but at the moment, I don’t think it would be a good idea to air those reasons…. at least openly on the boards.

The last point is…. also from your post #9….. if you starved relying on commissions from your sales of signs, you were the one not producing…. No one else, so don’t blame others for your shortcomings.

Marlene

well that cleared that up, you REALLY hate sign brokers so it isn't so much a hate of this guy but all of them in general. at least that makes sense. it just was really strange that a person posts a thread to thank people and gets his head handed to him...can't blame some of us for wondering why

firesignz

Celebrating 10 Years in business
While this is a bit off the original topic, I wanted to put my own $0.02 worth up here.

I was a salesman for a long time and I find that giving my GOOD customers a simple token of appreciation can go a long way to more work and new customers.
People like getting stuff for free. (or at least perceived to be free)

My thank you package includes some simple self promoting items (pens, sticky notes, t-shirt, stuff like that)

Total cost of the thank you "gift" is about $6.00 but the new and return customer value is PRICELESS (not to mention the advertising value of more logo t-shirts out in public!)

Locals Find!

Okay, for many of you…. just read post #4. I’ve already said I have a bad taste in my mouth for ‘brokers’. Now, if I’m supposed to defend myself and explain why, that’s not really an issue, but a waste of time. I already did it for Adtec when he PM-ed me. He wanted to know why I’m on his chit and I explained it to him. He’s the only person I’m jumping on, but if the rest of you need to know, I’ll copy and paste my PM’s to him for you all.

Adtec, I don’t have to learn to read… you need to learn how to communicate. Directly out of your post #9….. We make it a habit to do at least 4 lunches with our clients a month along with buying them theater tickets etc...
With taking a client out 4 times a month, that adds up to one client each week with 4 weeks being the normal week. Multiply that if you have 5 good customers, that takes up a different client each day of the week… four weeks a month. If my math is wrong I apologize, if I misunderstood you…. my bad, but what you have written is how I perceived it. You’re bragging about being a big spender and you got caught and don’t know which way to back-pedal.

Again, for Marlene and some others, I made mention several times of ways to show your appreciation to some of your better clients. I never said we [at our shop] don’t show our gratitude, but we don’t do it by sending them stuff for their kids’ birthdays, anniversary wishes, to the theater, golfing or out to dinner. There are far better ways to show your appreciation to any client… large or small and not look like a used car salesman. There’s no argument from me you have to sometimes do something here or there for certain customers, but what Adtec is talking about is typical of sign brokers or sign reps. Reps from the many vendors we purchase from shower us with all kinds of gifts year round and they usually drop them off or have them shipped directly. In fact a year or two ago…. one of our vendors sent me a fantastic Dell fax, copier, color scanner and laser printer as appreciation for our business. I know that cost a pretty penny. We had another vendor drop all shipping charges regardless of our minimum order. Actually, most of our vendors don’t charge shipping. Others have sent huge cans of snacks and cookies for the guys. However, none of them get into the personal lives for the most part. That’s usually considered taboo. There have been those occasions where we’ll get together with a customer for a dinner or some other event, and we always talk business and then laughingly say…. now we can write it off.

No, I’m not jumping on this Adtec. I’m staying focused and constant. I’m treating him no different than I treat anyone else. I don’t like brokers… and I said that upfront so if he wants to constantly call me out, fine with me. If some of you others want to call me out, I can explain to you why I feel the way I do, but at the moment, I don’t think it would be a good idea to air those reasons…. at least openly on the boards.

The last point is…. also from your post #9….. if you starved relying on commissions from your sales of signs, you were the one not producing…. No one else, so don’t blame others for your shortcomings.

If your commission isn't enough on a sales with a fair average on closed sales. You will starve.

Simple math for example only: I bring in $10,000 a month in sales at a 10% commission rate. I only get $1,000. Cost of living lets say is $2,000. Your in the hole every month $1,000. Lets be honest bringing in $10,000 in work is not easy dependent on the shops line. Yeah if your selling all Neon, or Sandblasted that would be a doable figure. However, $400.00 site signs and such just aint going to cut it.

Now back to the 4 clients a month thing. I said we do 4 lunches a month. I meant just that 4. Not 20 not 4 per client. 4 total lunches a month. 48 lunches a year. Usually on a Friday or Wednesday.

Now its funny how Gino here hates brokers yet he advertises his business on here as a Trade Printer for the Sign Industry. The very same kind of companies that let brokers be brokers in the first place. Just some perspective here. I wouldn't be surprised if some of his clients are brokers lying about being full fledged sign shops. Not that I know one way or the other. So that is just a guess. Don't take it as Fact.