• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

shop room/work table finished

IGD

Lmao. My wife thinks I'm losing my mind. Our kitchen cabinets are plane and my work table has cherry wood. Lol. At my other shop, I had no room for a real work table. I had a "L" shape work bench. It was driving me nuts.
hahaha screw the kitchen cabnets, the cabnets aren't making your money

Mosh

Picture1.jpg

Here is my table 5'x16'. I have three of these.

Imakesigns

i made some signs for a glass shop in exchange for a 4x10 piece of glass they had left from an overcut. it was tempered on the edges and i made 1 set of 2x3 for an aframe and a banner. i cut a hole in the table and mounted a flourescent light under it with a switch. viola, light box. my transfer tape holder consists of two irwin quickgrip clamps and a level, used as the roll holder. i put the clamps firm against the edge of the table and the tape hangs close but on the edge. when i need extra room, i just take the clamps off and can use the whole table.

IGD

i made some signs for a glass shop in exchange for a 4x10 piece of glass they had left from an overcut. it was tempered on the edges and i made 1 set of 2x3 for an aframe and a banner. i cut a hole in the table and mounted a flourescent light under it with a switch. viola, light box. my transfer tape holder consists of two irwin quickgrip clamps and a level, used as the roll holder. i put the clamps firm against the edge of the table and the tape hangs close but on the edge. when i need extra room, i just take the clamps off and can use the whole table.
could you post a picture

401Graphics

Heres my 4x8 sitting on 2x4s. Very simple, but has been working for years. (there is a 3x10 polycarb sheet on top getting ready to get some vinyl lettering put on it)

Attachments

• DSC00195.jpg
    DSC00195.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 81
J

john1

I'll be honest, Table looks good but it's too small. Your going to want a 4x8' at minimum. Your going to be doing banners, prints and having a small table means your going to have it falling off the sides and all.

Get a 4x8' table and put it along a wall in the corner if you can.

IGD

I'll be honest, Table looks good but it's too small. Your going to want a 4x8' at minimum. Your going to be doing banners, prints and having a small table means your going to have it falling off the sides and all.

Get a 4x8' table and put it along a wall in the corner if you can.
im starting to realize that:banghead: I might just redo one tmrw, this only took like 30min to make and very little investment. thanks for the advice

IGD

Kudos for what you're starting with. Great things come from small beginnings.

JB
thank you sir, the only problem with home base is that I miss all of the customers that are walk in customers, this will just have to do for now

J

john1

thank you sir, the only problem with home base is that I miss all of the customers that are walk in customers, this will just have to do for now

I am right there with you man. Been home based for 5ish years now.

It will take some going face to face marketing yourself and online presence to get the jobs rolling in. Even that, For me anyway isn't a ton of money but in the spring/summer is when i make most of my money it seems. Always slow in the colder months.

I would keep the table you just made, You can use it for something. I am sure of that. Put your heat press on it if you have one or if not you can put completed jobs on it.

IGD

I am right there with you man. Been home based for 5ish years now.

It will take some going face to face marketing yourself and online presence to get the jobs rolling in. Even that, For me anyway isn't a ton of money but in the spring/summer is when i make most of my money it seems. Always slow in the colder months.

I would keep the table you just made, You can use it for something. I am sure of that. Put your heat press on it if you have one or if not you can put completed jobs on it.
yea I know, hopefully Ill eventually get there. not to get off topic, do you go business to business? Is that considered soliciting?

J

john1

A few weeks ago i hit a few dozen local businesses. Walked in with a informational brochure, said "Hi my names John and i am a sign company in the area, If you need anything give me a call" Handed them a brochure with a free pen of mine and bam. Received some quotes out of it. Nothing major but it's still getting your name out there.

No problems when i did it.

IGD

yea ive been hesitant about doing that, but I guess it doesnt hurt to try, and for the table I was thinking maybe since I have the same size top piece, i can just build another one and connect them.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
im starting to realize that:banghead: I might just redo one tmrw, this only took like 30min to make and very little investment. thanks for the advice
If you gonna redo - slap some sides on this one and give the dog a new house for Christmas.

wayne k
guam usa

CP Signs

When I built mine, it was just on 2x4's. Then I added that cabinet with the drawers, then the spot for tbe vinyl, and on and on,,,,lol. Couldn't finding more things to do with it.

Speedsterbeast

My 4X8 with a a glass top. Straight Edges Hung on sides. Lots of room underneath for prints or rolls.
Application Tape Dispenser made out of threaded rod, wood blocks and two c-clamps

And yes, it is also often too small, but I'm 6'3" so it's nice to have a work surface that is at a custom height.

Attachments

• Table-1.jpg
    Table-1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 82

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Unless you're in a mall or main street with lotsa pedestrian traffic, walk-ins aren't all that common. Besides, do you really want to be interrupted by tire-kickers all day long ?? Especially if you're a one-man show ?? Being somewhat out of reach does have it's strong points. Only people purposely looking for you are going to come in. Not some jerk that wants his milk box painted or a license plate for his sister's lost boyfriend.

I agree a 4' x 8' would've made much more sense, but where is the printer going to go and do you have a laminator ?? Don't scrap that table, cause you need a place to weed and then a place to fabricate. Do you have adequate ventilation in that cubbyhole ??

Billct2

You could add a hinged panel w/folding legs (or just a sawhorse) on either end and flip them up when you need the extra length,

signage

#1 roll for home shops "no carpeting in sign making area"! carpeting is dirty cause dust and like Wayne said if it falls and hits the carpeting it is a goner.