Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shop van design critique

Discussion in 'Vehicle Wraps' started by modernmav, Jun 11, 2010.

1. modernmav

modernmav Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Hey guys, working on a design for our new shop van and wanted to get opinions and critiques from you all before we moved on to printing. Thanks!

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. signcrafters london

signcrafters london Very Active Member

May 22, 2010
    London KY
    For starters, it looks a little crowded.

3. Joe Diaz

Joe Diaz Very Active Member

The logos don't quite pass the squint test. And I read I-shirts.

4. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    the T doesn't look at all like a T...

5. signmeup

signmeup Major Contributor

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    The logos are too hard to read.

6. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    It's hard on the eyes and why do you have different messages on the two sides ??

7. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    I-shirts?

8. Mikeifg

Mikeifg Active Member

Jun 6, 2007
    Heartland
    Why not put a tshirt on the van loose the loud background try a different one.

9. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    It's hard to read in the thumbnails and jarring once enlarged.
    Lacks contrast, lacks flow, very busy.
    The red on reddish orange is particularly difficult to read.
    Love....Jill

10. signgal

signgal Very Active Member

Dec 29, 2009
    I get the cool factor of Wraps but when you cover half of it up with other words and put it on such a busy background with little contrast and have a pattern on the letters themselves... just too much. take it down to greyscale and remove some of the gobbley-goop (yes, that's a technical term) and try it out on us again. Also, the font for your list is old fashioned and quirky which doesn't match what you're doing with the rest of the design.

11. modernmav

modernmav Member

Sep 1, 2009
    thanks guys!
    1. The T-shirts logo has been the same design for years, and the boss wants to keep it.
    2. He wanted it obnoxiously bright and eye catching, but I will definitely work on readability.
    3. It has different messages on each side because we have the T-Shirt shop up front and the Wrap/Sign shop in the back so we wanted to advertise both, any better ideas on this?

(Just numbered all the responses to try and make sure I answered all comments)

12. Joe Diaz

Joe Diaz Very Active Member

It is never too late to change a logo, especially if it is a poor logo. And the fact of the matter is, the logo reads: "I-shirts".

13. modernmav

modernmav Member

Sep 1, 2009
    ok thanks joe, i'll talk to him about it

14. artbot

artbot Very Active Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Houston TX
    orange blue and red are all midtones. you could push the white behind the halftones way way further out for better contrast if you are sold on the colors. before finishing a design like this squint your eyes and consider that this van will be speeding down the highway.

and maybe do the "store fronts, lettering, etc" text as a repeating in a stripe down the middle of the van. intersecting with the logo.

15. modernmav

modernmav Member

Sep 1, 2009
    thank you artbot for adding more suggestions that we can work on. I will try that and see how it looks. any other suggestions on colors? i know green is complimentary to red and orange to blue (the two many logo colors). that was why i chose orange as the bg color

16. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    Get away from that Cooper Black font too. It's the same one you used on your other van and it reads like crap.

17. modernmav

modernmav Member

Sep 1, 2009
    already working on that maniac. We decided to change it before I posted the pictures I just hadn't done it yet.

18. modernmav

modernmav Member

Sep 1, 2009
    here's one more quick pic messing with the original design a little, also trying a new one from scratch but wanted to get comments on this one first. i tried to add more contrast and change the font/colors a little bit. thanks

Attached Files:

19. modernmav

modernmav Member

Sep 1, 2009
    here is all i have so far on a from scractch version taking in some of your suggestions, having trouble coming up with something more for the yellow background to match the main image...

Attached Files:

20. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    That's actually a big improvement... Try as many concepts as you can come up with and don't get mired down on one direction only. Take the extra time to make this project one of you absolute best. This is your company after all.