• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shop vehicle.

WB

I need some input here on use of personal vehicle as a "shop vehicle". Right now I use my personal vehicle as the shop vehicle, I take to installs, use it to take trips to the dump, take it on over night road trips and out of town jobs. This has slowly become the norm over the last few years, I take some blame for this because I let it happen and didn't fight back . In return for this I get about 1 tank a fuel per month unless it's a out of town trip. I've sat down and talked to the owners and told them I wanted my fuel cost covered from my house to here at a minimum, They've offered to cover my cost from work to the job and back. Here are my issues. I do not need to bring my truck to work, I live out of town and my wife drives by my work everyday, so we're bringing 2 vehicles in to town everyday. My responsibility is to get to work on time doesn't matter how I get here, it's never been part of my job to have a vehicle here. My 2nd point is I've only asking for my fuel cost not my mileage to be covered. I spend about $500 a month on fuel and I'm getting abit sick of seem my $$ being poured into the tank. I can see my truck needing $2000-$3000 in repair come June If I saved my gas $$ for the next few months I'd have that in cash vs having to put it on a CC.

just for your Info I drive a 4door crew cab 4x4 3/4 ton and I live about 20Km (13miles) from work 1 way.

What are your policy's when it comes to use of personal vehicles?

Thanks

DigiPrinter

My 2 cents (about what your company is giving you) is to NOT use your vehicle as a company vehicle, unless you have something in writing stipulating the use plus paybacks. You probably will find yourself spending a lot of "extra" money on fuel, oil changes and other maintenance items unnecessarily. I sold for a company where they gave a small lump some each month for your mileage and not the government rate....big mistake for me not to negotiate that. The amount of wear and tear was crazy. It sounds like you have already talked to the ownership about your truck use and it's not really to how you would like it. If it works out that your wifey can drop you off and pick you up each day then I would try that route for awhile. Your company will either realize that they depended on your truck and will 1) get their own company truck or 2) add additional funds for you to use your truck. Hopefully..... Keep in mind too that you may want to check with your insurance company and find out how coverage would be handled if your vehicle is damaged while using it for company use. I'm pretty sure that your truck isn't on your company's policy.

Billct2

You're getting screwed. You should be getting a mileage reimbursement at whatever the current standard rate is (here the IRS rate is used). Otherwise park it, or come to work for me, I could use a free shop vehicle.

fresh

I would just tell them your truck needs work, and you'll be catching a ride with your wife for the next few weeks while its in the shop.

End of story.

synergy_jim

We pay 53 cents a mile when employees use their vehicles. You should be getting the same.

The only thing I don't agree with is mileage to and from work. If we have employees leave from their house to do a job, we pay them the google map mileage from our shop and back home.

Don't be greedy, but they definitely owe you something.

All that being said, we have a shop truck that 90% of the time employees take to job sites. I don't like paying 53 cents a mile, so the shop truck is more cost effective.

JBusch260

Just my opinion, but if they are making money by you using your vehicle, you should be getting compensated fairly. Flat out.

I know most places here in the States have a pretty standard mileage rate compensation, do they have anything like that established in Canada?

Mosh

I would just tell them your truck needs work, and you'll be catching a ride with your wife for the next few weeks while its in the shop.

End of story.

This....

Stanton

Schedule another meeting and politely insist that you are properly compensated
for the use of your vehicle.
If they still say no, then make sure they understand that they have decided
to stop using your vehicle.

Don't tell them it's broken, tell them it's business.

vid

I subsidized one of my first employers. Not good. Those little stops once in a while to help out the boss blossomed into almost daily deliveries. It didn't click with me then, but on reflection I realized it was an indicator of poor company management and suspect financial issues.

You're getting screwed. You should be getting a mileage reimbursement at whatever the current standard rate is (here the IRS rate is used)...(edit)
...and I had an employer try that, too. And that's fine for simple stuff. But, once you start hauling any volume of material in a pickup, aside from potential for vehicle damage, that's a value added service an employee is conceding. That sounds like an up charge, to me. :wink:

And finally, this ---
(edit) ...check with your insurance company and find out how coverage would be handled if your vehicle is damaged while using it for company use. I'm pretty sure that your truck isn't on your company's policy.
I don't know what kind of assets you have that you comfortable putting at risk, but yeah, I'd seriously have a talk with your agent about what kind of coverage you should have on your vehicle.

That's a talking point that I've used to initiate a discussion with previous employers about payment for mileage. "I just had a meeting with my insurance agent, annnnnd.... spent a lot of time evaluating costs... my truck costs...."

JBusch260

Definitely keep track of ALL mileage, EVERY expense you take on because of this. May help you on taxes.

Pat Whatley

End of story.

That doesn't fix the problem, that just kicks it down the road a couple of weeks. You're just going to have to be a man and tell them you don't want to use your personal vehicle for company work any more. Period. If you're feeling really generous tell them you'll continue to do it for a couple of weeks while they make arrangements to do something else.

Like you said, you've got the blame. They needed a solution, you became it. When you quit being the solution to the problem they'll go find another solution.

WB

We actually bought a old ambulance about 3-4 months ago to turn into a shop van.. it just sits in our shop, it's not even on the road yet.

I'm going to tell that them starting April 1st my I'll be travelling with my wife.

Thanks

TammieH

You also need to find out if your insurance will cover you if you are in an accident. I believe if they find out you are using it for commercial use they can deny coverage. mOH I guess I should have read all of the replies...just ignore mine>>>>how do I delete this reply?

phototec

Plain and simple you're getting screwed!

POV are NOT meant to be company vehicles, no way no how!

Like mentioned above, what if you are involved in a major auto accident, then what will your insurance company do when they find out you were on company business for you boss, will they still cover you?

Simply say NO MORE, your driving to work with your wife to save on fuel and wear and tear on your truck, period!

If you boss is a true businessman, he will come up with a solution, a company vehicle, and maybe even wrap it to use as a rolling billboard!

:omg:

fresh

That doesn't fix the problem, that just kicks it down the road a couple of weeks. You're just going to have to be a man and tell them you don't want to use your personal vehicle for company work any more. Period. If you're feeling really generous tell them you'll continue to do it for a couple of weeks while they make arrangements to do something else.

Like you said, you've got the blame. They needed a solution, you became it. When you quit being the solution to the problem they'll go find another solution.

Its true that it doesn't fix the problem, but taking the truck out of the equation will force them to find another solution. I don't know about your shop, but if we couldn't make deliveries for a few weeks, we'd be screwed.

Billct2

That's what rental companies are for. I've had to rent trcuks/cars more than once when a vehicle was down.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
It's a waste of time to try to negotiate for higher recomps ... you as an individual using a vehicle for commercial purposes will get you dink with a side of a garbage trade in value later on down the road. Between wear and tear on the vehicle, the added upkeep expenses aren't worth the money you might get per mile ... plus 99% of insurance companies have policies against commercial use of a vehicle as an individual. Let alone they get whiny if you just put vinyl on a vehicle advertising your business even if you don't use it at all for jobs. If they already have another option available to them ... they are just dragging their feet hoping you float the cost. Your employer needs to get his/her/both **** together and start running their business like one.

Oh, and stop letting them talk you into **** that is well above and beyond your job. An employee is only loyal when pay exceeds the b.s. ... if they keep talking you into being some form of STUPIDVISOR (additional responsibilities without additional pay or benefits) then really it comes down to you growing a back bone and 1. you inform them that this doesn't work because of x, y & z ... 2. Propose 2 different solutions (extra pay and vacation time or they re-assign the extra duties, for example) ... 3. if they don't want to do the one that gives you more benefits for the extra work STICK TO OPTION 2 ... whether that is informing them weekly in e-mail of what you can't accomplish because you had to reduce your hours when they couldn't offer you more for that time (in the case of adding other peoples jobs to yours when they leave for example) or saying no to b.s. like using your own equipment and vehicles to do jobs.

Oh, and if they show any side other than 'Oh, understandable! We'll figure something else out!" ... start looking for a new job. They have just shown themselves to not value what you do (make them money) and will continue to try to do this. You work for them, they pay you money. If the b.s. outweighs the benefits ... it's time to walk. ... I've been in both situations a couple of times ... sometimes it unintentional, sometimes it is. Talk to them first, try to get a decent outcome, if you can't get one ... it's not like you owe them anything ... they might struggle for a little while but ultimately you're replaceable ... and so are they.

WB

It's a waste of time to try to negotiate for higher recomps ... you as an individual using a vehicle for commercial purposes will get you dink with a side of a garbage trade in value later on down the road. Between wear and tear on the vehicle, the added upkeep expenses aren't worth the money you might get per mile ... plus 99% of insurance companies have policies against commercial use of a vehicle as an individual. Let alone they get whiny if you just put vinyl on a vehicle advertising your business even if you don't use it at all for jobs. If they already have another option available to them ... they are just dragging their feet hoping you float the cost. Your employer needs to get his/her/both **** together and start running their business like one.

Oh, and stop letting them talk you into **** that is well above and beyond your job. An employee is only loyal when pay exceeds the b.s. ... if they keep talking you into being some form of STUPIDVISOR (additional responsibilities without additional pay or benefits) then really it comes down to you growing a back bone and 1. you inform them that this doesn't work because of x, y & z ... 2. Propose 2 different solutions (extra pay and vacation time or they re-assign the extra duties, for example) ... 3. if they don't want to do the one that gives you more benefits for the extra work STICK TO OPTION 2 ... whether that is informing them weekly in e-mail of what you can't accomplish because you had to reduce your hours when they couldn't offer you more for that time (in the case of adding other peoples jobs to yours when they leave for example) or saying no to b.s. like using your own equipment and vehicles to do jobs.

Oh, and if they show any side other than 'Oh, understandable! We'll figure something else out!" ... start looking for a new job. They have just shown themselves to not value what you do (make them money) and will continue to try to do this. You work for them, they pay you money. If the b.s. outweighs the benefits ... it's time to walk. ... I've been in both situations a couple of times ... sometimes it unintentional, sometimes it is. Talk to them first, try to get a decent outcome, if you can't get one ... it's not like you owe them anything ... they might struggle for a little while but ultimately you're replaceable ... and so are they.

Did I mention I work for my Parents....

Billct2

Are you fing serious? If you are its no wonder you've got this problem, you didn't think that was an important part of the story, actually the most important part??

Last edited:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Are you fing serious? If you are no wonder you've got this problem, you didn't think that was an important part of the story, actually the most inmportant part??

:smile:

Kinda hard to ask for miles from the beings who gave you life......

wayne k
guam usa