• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shop your wholesalers

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Grimco keeps calling me asking how they can get more of my business. I keep telling them to lower their pricing and they ask me what I order. I tell them and they lower the price on certain items and keep everything else expensive.

Had to order three, 5x10 ACM. Glantz was $257.52 and Grimco was $392.70.. and that was AFTER "my discount".

Why they won't just give good pricing across the board is beyond me. I guess people don't price shop.

This is just a reminder not to get comfortable with a supplier, you could be paying for it.

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
Why waste your time even calling them? I gave up on them years ago. After a couple times, I started going to Reese. Best move ever.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
I know a Kevin at the Dallas branch, not sure his last name.
He is the branch supervisor. The next time you place a phone in order, ask for him.
Then, send him a personal thank you note through first class mail.
Slowly but gently build a relationship with him. If he will let you, only place orders with him. If he happens to be busy, wait and phone back.
My hunch is that he will take real good care of you.
At least, give it a try.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
He is the branch supervisor. The next time you place a phone in order, ask for him.
Then, send him a personal thank you note through first class mail.
Slowly but gently build a relationship with him. If he will let you, only place orders with him. If he happens to be busy, wait and phone back.
My hunch is that he will take real good care of you.
At least, give it a try.
Or I can just order my stuff online and if I have a problem I call him and he fixes it. Been doing it like that for about 10 years now and it works well. I've been in their office, they look calmer when the phones are not ringing.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Sure, you can continue ordering online.
My intent is only to encourage building a stronger one-to-one relationship with him.
If he does fix a problem, send him a personal thank you note.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There's no need to play games and send love letters to everybody. It's a business transaction, from both sides. You always need to keep your vendors honest. Chumming up to one will work here or there, but not across the board, forever. Regardless of the vendor, you always need to price them. Heck, why do you think YOUR customers get 3 quotes ??

Sure, we all say, we are doing our darnednessest, to keep our customers coming back, but then why are there so many threads on s101 alone, asking how not to leave money on the table ?? Imagine the many other 1,000s of sign shops in the same fix...... then all of the many many other businesses doing the same, all over the world.​

We all wanna make money, but do your due diligence. Do your homework.

netsol

in my consulting business, i alway tell my clients to get a 2nd & a 3rd quote
i encourage my united ways to do this even with my quotes

bannertime

This is the only way. If you're only got one supplier, you're bound to pay higher prices. We use Grimco, Reece, and recently started using Glantz. We're trying to move away from Grimco simply because I don't like their pricing structure. It doesn't work for my business. I don't want to stock pallets of coro and ACM just to save $2 per sheet. I can order from Reece and save nearly $20 vs Max Metal. And I honestly prefer Reece's ACM more!

SameDay Signs

Nglantz & Wensco all day - specially over Grimco who honestly is a complete joke and just over priced across the board....Hell even Fellers gives me darn good pricing when it comes to a certain digital vinyl I use....The real question is how is Grimco in business if there are so many people who can't handle the pricing and so on from them? I gave up after i had to pay extra 3 or 4 times because they forgot to keep charging me?

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
GSG has stepped up and lowered pricing on most all the stuff we order. Anything I have questioned or asked to lower, they have. Using Grimco less and less except for a couple items.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Being devils advocate here, doesnt everyone here preach about selling quality and service over price and complain about people that are too cheap? I get good service out of grimco and they have matched pricing for us. The thing that seems out of line is their ACM but it seems their strategy has been to brand it and market as a superior product.

SameDay Signs

Being devils advocate here, doesnt everyone here preach about selling quality and service over price and complain about people that are too cheap? I get good service out of grimco and they have matched pricing for us. The thing that seems out of line is their ACM but it seems their strategy has been to brand it and market as a superior product.
I personally got awfule service from them, their pricing was always high but doable - my issue was they constantly had to keep charging me for items they left off and after a few weeks straight i just couldnt do it nor could i find the errors so...

Jed_Dess

We had stopped using Grimco for years, but old Ken got us back on for the Hanley line. They had some supply issues when they opened a new local branch, and i wouldn't solely buy from them, but as far as the reps I have, they take care of us. That being said, it's never a bad idea to keep your suppliers honest by shopping around here and there.

Goatshaver

I've only used Grimco but I only buy a few different items and a lot I get next day just because I'm close to one of their warehouses. I haven't tried Glantz yet since they gave me a log in but I do want to try another supplier to get an idea of overall price, shipping and lead times on materials.

CanuckSigns

Might be different in the states, but in Canada, Grimco is the only supplier who has true online ordering, I can log in at midnight and order something and it will be delivered next day. The pricing is all in line with the others give or take 2-3%.

My issue with them is when I have to call in n order the person on the order desk usually doesn't know the products well, but turnover there is high so I'm not surprised.