Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shop your wholesalers

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Texas_Signmaker, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Grimco keeps calling me asking how they can get more of my business. I keep telling them to lower their pricing and they ask me what I order. I tell them and they lower the price on certain items and keep everything else expensive.

Had to order three, 5x10 ACM. Glantz was $257.52 and Grimco was $392.70.. and that was AFTER "my discount".

Why they won't just give good pricing across the board is beyond me. I guess people don't price shop.

This is just a reminder not to get comfortable with a supplier, you could be paying for it.

Tags:
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. The Yanki & The Brit

The Yanki & The Brit The Yanki & The Brit Signs and Radio Show

Sep 3, 2014
    Texas
    Why waste your time even calling them? I gave up on them years ago. After a couple times, I started going to Reese. Best move ever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Robert Armerding

Robert Armerding Merchant Member

Mar 3, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    Do you maybe know Kevin Walton at Glantz?

4. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I know a Kevin at the Dallas branch, not sure his last name.

5. Robert Armerding

Mar 3, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    He is the branch supervisor. The next time you place a phone in order, ask for him.
    Then, send him a personal thank you note through first class mail.
    Slowly but gently build a relationship with him. If he will let you, only place orders with him. If he happens to be busy, wait and phone back.
    My hunch is that he will take real good care of you.
    At least, give it a try.

6. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Or I can just order my stuff online and if I have a problem I call him and he fixes it. Been doing it like that for about 10 years now and it works well. I've been in their office, they look calmer when the phones are not ringing.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Robert Armerding

Mar 3, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    Sure, you can continue ordering online.
    My intent is only to encourage building a stronger one-to-one relationship with him.
    If he does fix a problem, send him a personal thank you note.

8. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    There's no need to play games and send love letters to everybody. It's a business transaction, from both sides. You always need to keep your vendors honest. Chumming up to one will work here or there, but not across the board, forever. Regardless of the vendor, you always need to price them. Heck, why do you think YOUR customers get 3 quotes ??

Sure, we all say, we are doing our darnednessest, to keep our customers coming back, but then why are there so many threads on s101 alone, asking how not to leave money on the table ?? Imagine the many other 1,000s of sign shops in the same fix...... then all of the many many other businesses doing the same, all over the world.​

We all wanna make money, but do your due diligence. Do your homework.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  9. netsol

netsol Very Active Member

Apr 26, 2016
    englishtown, nj
    in my consulting business, i alway tell my clients to get a 2nd & a 3rd quote
    i encourage my united ways to do this even with my quotes

10. bannertime

bannertime Very Active Member

Sep 8, 2016
    No
    This is the only way. If you're only got one supplier, you're bound to pay higher prices. We use Grimco, Reece, and recently started using Glantz. We're trying to move away from Grimco simply because I don't like their pricing structure. It doesn't work for my business. I don't want to stock pallets of coro and ACM just to save $2 per sheet. I can order from Reece and save nearly $20 vs Max Metal. And I honestly prefer Reece's ACM more!

11. SameDay Signs

SameDay Signs Member

Oct 20, 2010
    tiffin ohio
    Nglantz & Wensco all day - specially over Grimco who honestly is a complete joke and just over priced across the board....Hell even Fellers gives me darn good pricing when it comes to a certain digital vinyl I use....The real question is how is Grimco in business if there are so many people who can't handle the pricing and so on from them? I gave up after i had to pay extra 3 or 4 times because they forgot to keep charging me?

• Like Like x 1
  12. eahicks

eahicks Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    GSG has stepped up and lowered pricing on most all the stuff we order. Anything I have questioned or asked to lower, they have. Using Grimco less and less except for a couple items.

13. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Very Active Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    Being devils advocate here, doesnt everyone here preach about selling quality and service over price and complain about people that are too cheap? I get good service out of grimco and they have matched pricing for us. The thing that seems out of line is their ACM but it seems their strategy has been to brand it and market as a superior product.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • I Appreciate You I Appreciate You x 1
  14. SameDay Signs

SameDay Signs Member

Oct 20, 2010
    tiffin ohio
    I personally got awfule service from them, their pricing was always high but doable - my issue was they constantly had to keep charging me for items they left off and after a few weeks straight i just couldnt do it nor could i find the errors so...

15. Jed_Dess

Jed_Dess New Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Winnipeg, MB
    We had stopped using Grimco for years, but old Ken got us back on for the Hanley line. They had some supply issues when they opened a new local branch, and i wouldn't solely buy from them, but as far as the reps I have, they take care of us. That being said, it's never a bad idea to keep your suppliers honest by shopping around here and there.

16. Goatshaver

Goatshaver Member

Dec 5, 2018
    Maine
    I've only used Grimco but I only buy a few different items and a lot I get next day just because I'm close to one of their warehouses. I haven't tried Glantz yet since they gave me a log in but I do want to try another supplier to get an idea of overall price, shipping and lead times on materials.

17. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    I know a guy who is better than all those others!!

18. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    :u rock:

19. Jed_Dess

Jed_Dess New Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Winnipeg, MB
    One day I shall convince our designer to spec that beautiful Holo perf you sell

20. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    Might be different in the states, but in Canada, Grimco is the only supplier who has true online ordering, I can log in at midnight and order something and it will be delivered next day. The pricing is all in line with the others give or take 2-3%.

My issue with them is when I have to call in n order the person on the order desk usually doesn't know the products well, but turnover there is high so I'm not surprised.

• Agree Agree x 1