• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Should frosted vinyl be installed on the interior or exterior side of windows on storefronts?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
We do pretty much all of ours on the inside of the window. Though I guess if you have an outdoor rated vinyl and want it to be easily viewed from the outside as cleanly as possible. The outside couldn’t hurt.

Reveal1

Just personal taste, but opposite side of the viewpoint you want the most impact would be my preference. The glass adds depth when etch is placed on opposite side from view.

bannertime

I'd say interior, but we have done exterior frosted. Not full coverage though, just decorative border stuff. Really just depends on what the customer wants. If it's tinted windows, then it'd probably need to go on the outside if that's the look they're going for.

djhotwheel

Inside / 2nd surface.
Less chance of window cleaners messing up the vinyl, weather, UV damage. Make sure not to apply to the glazing on the windows though.

Chuck B

Riff Meister
We default to the exterior...seems to show up better for viewing. Once though, we created and installed a design in where we had elements on both the first and second surface. It was a really cool effect and added an amazing amount of perceived depth.

MikePro

exotic vinyls appreciate interior application. not saying you CAN'T do it on the outside of windows, but it lasts waaaaaay longer when you put it on the inside.

AMGearhart

Usually exterior. Usually the customer buys this for the benefit of the public seeing it from the outside. The glossy finish of glass can have a glare, which might make text hard to read. Or for a design, prevent it from having an etched appearance.

gnubler

So the consensus is a mixed bag on this one? I'm doing frosted film on a storefront with 42" wide windows. The customer doesn't care which side the film is on, so I'm leaning toward interior just for ease of installation (wind, dust, etc).

Stacey K

I like making signs
I usually do the exterior. It's funny how you think some windows aren't tinted but they really are. I would do a sample on the inside to make sure it looks good like The Yanki said.

gnubler

Does anyone use the frosted spray paint instead of frosted film? What are the pros and cons? I would think getting a nice even coverage on the spray would be tricky over a large area.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If your hand is steady enough to do it the right way by sandblasting the glass, I guess you would be steady enough to paint the glass. The frosted vinyl, came along because of all the talentless people in this industry. Also, those too dumb to do it in the first place.

gnubler

Dumb is that I took on a job to install frosted film on six foot tall windows, and now working on a bid to do another one. I'm not excited about these.

Much debate on the forum on wet vs dry install, depending on the brand.

gnubler

I usually do the exterior. It's funny how you think some windows aren't tinted but they really are. I would do a sample on the inside to make sure it looks good like The Yanki said.
Back to this again. Is window tint generally on the outside or inside, or how can you tell? If frosted film ends up being installed on top of tint will it cause problems upon removal? (lifting the tint with it)

Stacey K

I like making signs
Back to this again. Is window tint generally on the outside or inside, or how can you tell? If frosted film ends up being installed on top of tint will it cause problems upon removal? (lifting the tint with it)
I'm not exactly sure but the windows I've flubbed up have the tint in the glass...like the glass itself is tinted. My guess - tint would be on the inside and the frost on the outside. I wouldn't put vinyl over window tint that is also vinyl because you won't be able to get it off.

gnubler

Yeah, I've been doing some research on it and read about pre-tinted glass vs a film on either the inside or outside. For the windows on the current job I'm bidding on they look really mirrored from the exterior...does that mean they have mirrored tint on the outside or not necessarily? I want to install the frosted film on the inside due to cold temps and not having to wrestle with the landscaping bushes outside.

CanuckSigns

Speaking of frosted film, I've started using matte laminate instead of frosted vinyl on some jobs that need a lower price point, and so far it looks great, allows a bit more light in, bust still looks similar to etchmark.