• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Should frosted vinyl be installed on the interior or exterior side of windows on storefronts?

Stacey K

I like making signs
Yeah, I've been doing some research on it and read about pre-tinted glass vs a film on either the inside or outside. For the windows on the current job I'm bidding on they look really mirrored from the exterior...does that mean they have mirrored tint on the outside or not necessarily? I want to install the frosted film on the inside due to cold temps and not having to wrestle with the landscaping bushes outside.
The best way to tell is to reverse cut your name and stick it on the inside of the window. Go outside and see what it looks like. You can put a regular cut one on the outside and compare them. Let the customer decide. If the tint is in the glass I would just letter it. I think my door is a little mirror like and it's definately tinted and I've lettered it a few times and no issues.

gnubler

This is full coverage frosted, for privacy. There will be no cutting. I'm thinking install inside due to commercial window washers outside possibly scratching or gouging the film.

BetaCtz

For me - always on the inside when possible. Always wet install. I install a lot of this film.
I push the sale this direction every time if possible.

- helps retain the visual feel of the glass
- makes it last longer
- allows you to install in almost any conditions

The effect is meant to mimic "etching" or sandblasting glass. Not to make it look like you have a big silver sticker on a window.

The only time I have ever done it is if the client is insistent on exterior, or there's already something too heavy or built in front of the glass.

gnubler

I did a storefront with all exterior film. The interior was being renovated and was a disaster zone. Sawdust, etc.

The job lingered into the evening and there's a tiny gnat eternally entombed under the film. Didn't notice it until later. :p

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yes it can. An eternity to us is a lot longer than a bug who lives a few days. Besides, the bug'll just shrivel up and turn to dust. That's not a very long eternity, is it ??

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
yah, but.... the bug is entombed in the vinyl, and will remain there until the vinyl turns to dust. If it were entombed in amber, it would out last us all.
1675723968479.png

UberDapr

Interior for the simple fact windows are disgusting in the city and I would charge extra on top to clean. I've found that most people aren't willing to pay for that though.