• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Should I bother with this risky job?

Sven

A guy wants me to replace a light-box face that fell out. It fell out because the sign is old and rusting so badly that the bottom is starting to come off. I told the guy the sign is in bad shape and should probably be taken down in the next couple of years. He wants a temporary fix because he doesn't know how long he'll be in business. I can replace the face and try to reinforce the sign a bit, but I'm afraid if something falls off it in the future, the blame will be on me. Should I pass, or should I have him sign something that says he understands that the sign is old and may fall apart regardless of what I do to it...?

Jillbeans

I would tell him that if the quick-fix option falls out and kills someone, he will be out of business sooner than later.
Love....Jill

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Unless you repair the sign to the point it won't be a problem from an electrical standpoint of catching fire...... to falling on someone, I'd pass.

If someone wants you to do something and not do it properly, your butt is still on the line should something fail, since you were the last professional to touch it.

mygraphicsshop

We can offer you a sign cover solution for your customer. We do these all day long. Contact me if you are interested in this.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I personally would not go for it. Nor would I even be willing to bag it with a banner.

myself I'd be telling myself 'run Forest run' but a couple ideas.

if the cabinet is literally falling apart & dropping parts I wouldn't even feel safe with a 'banner sigb cover' .. Just me, I'd rather not be losing sleep because of worry that a piece might fall out the bottom or whatever.

does this business owner own the building? Or rent/lease? If he is a tenant ask him if the property owner is aware of the serious risk & liability and maybe there is an opportunity to replace the entire sign structure.

if the business owner is the property owner I would encourage him to allow you to properly disconnect,decommission & remove this accident waiting to happen.

if he is unwilling or unable to replace the sign financially then offer him some less expensive options.

if he is hell bent on using an unsafe structure I wouldn't touch it for any amount of $,but you may want to offer him a cover or replacement panel for his own installation (this would not be my 1st choice) but if he is going to disregard responsible advice & proceed anyways,,,write up a stern disclaimer stating upon your professional examination & recommendations the sigb should be decommissioned & removed & that cover or replacement panel are provided for customer installation against your professional recommendation.

just something to clearly state you have informed him that the sogn is a danger & that he is disregarding that advice & proceeding on his own. You can't protect some people from themselves.

unfortunately after years of servicing electrical signs I will put it this way. I will not park under one unless it is one I made many yeats ago...& I have no problem making a wide circle in my walking path to avoid walking under one whenever possible. I've seen HUGE pole signs (& every other type of sign) suspended 60 to 90 feet in the air, perched upon top of a pole, held there with TWO loosely tightened bolts lol. I've seen lexan panels duct taped from the back to hold them in. I've even seen a 60 ft pole sign 100 plus feet from the building STUFFED with garbage??? I have always scratched my head over that one but it was immediately obvious why it was not illuminated evenly.

threeputt

Are you legally licensed to even work on this mess? What about permits?

I run away from this "opportunity".

I don't think any sign craftsman worth his salt would "patch" this sign if it's as bad as it sounds.

That thing will fail sooner or later (next moderate wind storm) and you may be named. Then if you were unlicensed for this type of work or no permits were issued, you may have even bigger problems.

Pass.

anotherdog

take the sign down, cover the hole with a banner.
Even then you need to check zoning.

looks like the vote here is to run away... what will you do???

Pat Whatley

...should I have him sign something that says he understands that the sign is old and may fall apart regardless of what I do to it...?

Sure, because when it does fall apart and hurts somebody that's gonna be the first thing that his lawyers use when they start shoving the blame off on you. You're the professional, you're supposed to know better, all your signed form is going to do it prove that you knew it was unsafe and you were negligent.

Craig Sjoquist

I find a common ground.

A ugly looking sign cabinet does no one good.

Replace ok find other solutions is next like a banner mounted to wall 4 x 16 great size and really does not cost a huge amount of space in and city bonus