• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Should I do something about this?

JgS

A while back I made faces for a back-lit sign. 3 different business signs on the same piece of Lexan. The building didn't want to pay for a new sign when they divided the building.

A new company moved into the building and I noticed that their sign is a banner that someone had used self-tapping screws every 12" into the Lexan to hold up the banner.

My question is, what kind of impact is this going to have on the sign? Do I just let it go and wait for someone to complain? Do I go to the company and explain that the shop they hired to install their sign ruined the sign that the other business paid for?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
You should at least explain to the other two companies that the shabby banner patch was not your doing.

You also might want to let them know that it's possible for the banner to eventually come loose and flap against the rest of the sign, possibly causing damage...not to mention an eyesore.

JB

2B

You should at least explain to the other two companies that the shabby banner patch was not your doing.

You also might want to let them know that it's possible for the banner to eventually come loose and flap against the rest of the sign, possibly causing damage...not to mention an eyesore.

JB

+1

if they screwed into the lexan then they have changed the structural integrity, depending on the screw size and if there were cracks caused by the screws

JgS

I'd rather not say anything, but I'd be upset if I were the other companies that spent all that money on a new sign only to have someone poke holes in it 6 months later.

I thin the thing that is bugging me is I doubt that the owner did the install himself. I fear he hired another shop and they did it. I kind of want to be nice and give him a heads up while something can still be done to prevent him and his neighbors being upset when the sign fails.

Billct2

Who had you do the job? The building's owner? Or the 3 businesses that were in there at that time?
I would guess the building's owner. In which case I w
ould drop them an email telling them of the problem.
I wouldn't approach the business that had the work done, they're just going to be defensive, or worse and
you may end up in a beef with the other sign company.

JgS

If nothing else they need to know that you noticed it and it has voided all warranty.

That is true. I do have it in the contract that all warranty become void the second someone other than my shop touches the sign.

Mosh

we install available banners over lexan all the time. Landlord says just screw into lexan. No issue.

Until it gets re-lettered and looks like a panetarium star show (all the screw holes)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The storyline is this.

• You originally did this sign and did it correctly.
  • Someone has come along and possibly damaged your work.
  • You saw it and need to report it to the person/s who had you do the job the first time and explain to them BEFORE anything happens to the sign, it is now out of warranty and anything go wrong for whatever reason, you cannot be held responsible for any damage to sign, property or safety or pedestrians of any sort. I'd give it to them in writing and have them ALL sign and date your copy and then I'd take it to the knucklehead who tapped into your sign [or the customer who did] and make them sign off and date also.
  • Waiting for an accident to happen is scary sh!t, especially if you know it ahead of time.

This action could very well stop a nasty accident from happening if they all understand the consequences.

thesignexpert

The storyline is this.

• You originally did this sign and did it correctly.
  • Someone has come along and possibly damaged your work.
  • You saw it and need to report it to the person/s who had you do the job the first time and explain to them BEFORE anything happens to the sign, it is now out of warranty and anything go wrong for whatever reason, you cannot be held responsible for any damage to sign, property or safety or pedestrians of any sort. I'd give it to them in writing and have them ALL sign and date your copy and then I'd take it to the knucklehead who tapped into your sign [or the customer who did] and make them sign off and date also.
  • Waiting for an accident to happen is scary sh!t, especially if you know it ahead of time.

This action could very well stop a nasty accident from happening if they all understand the consequences.

Gino's got the right idea I think. In this case, with the physical damage involved, you have to be proactive in protecting yourself and your business. Both your reputation and your liability for the sign have been put into question. If anything happens you will need to have documentation to protect yourself.

MikePro

its really just a landlord issue, the person who actually owns the sign. it should be up to them to hold a standard, and see this move as damage to property that can just as easily be paid-for out of a security deposit :)

might be worth dropping off a card, "hey I noticed you have a new tenant, and that your sign now looks "different", but not in a good-way."
"Would you like me to survey the panel size and quote you on a replacement panel for the one they just screwed a banner into?"