• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Should you fire this employee?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
... A life is a life...and every life has value...

Perhaps to someone but certainly not to everyone. Of the over 6 billion people on the planet only a minuscule handful mean anything to me. The rest mean nothing and whether they live or die has no effect on me or anyone else except for their special handful. Life is abundant and John Donne was an idiot.

QualitySigns

What I find hard to believe here is the fact that you are actually asking whether or not you should fire him. Can his arse. Now!

SqueeGee

I can't add anything that hasn't already been said. I would fire him.

At some point, are you going to give us the full, non-hypothetical, version of this?

Grafix USA

He didn't sell the stuff for a fix of crack-"Turns out the employee had pawned one of the lathes over there several times, typically paying it out in a month...then back with it a couple of months later. Then one month he took in a saw, and used part of the money to renew the pawn on the lathe. Then got them both out, then pawned them both again. The cycle kept escalating until he had about $12,000 in pawn and was literally counting pennies to pay the interest. When the stuff was about to go out to be sold by the pawn shop my friend at the shop started cleaning it, saw my dad's company name on it and put the whole story together."
He was desperate and still trying to not actually steal the stuff. No, it doesn't make it right. I believe he's worth taking a chance on.

An honest person would ask for help not take it upon themselves to steal from their employer. I'm not heartless and am willing to help others, but not once they have stolen from me. When they steal from me we become immediate adversaries. How does he know that I'm not having a hard time feeding my family and making my house payment?

kstompaint

It's not your responsibility to care for his kids. He should have been doing that on a long term basis rather than a short term one. He chose to conduct himself in a way that he knew could jeaprodize his employment just to put a band-aid on the situation.

You can't trust him and never will. He has to be let go immediately.

SqueeGee

You can't trust him and never will.

That, to me, is the real issue. Once trust is gone, every single teeny tiny thing becomes an enormouse struggle and adds an intolerable level of stress.

I know someone else already pointed it out but I believe warrants repeating, the other employees will be closely watching how this is handled.

slappy

guess there is only one answer to your post....if you were stuck in that situation... and was doing that.... what would you want done to you? He was recovering the items right? Maybe he just needs to be pulled out a little. You ever get behind on something and just needed 1 thing to catch yourself up??

Pat Whatley

I got several emails about this so here's all the follow up I can offer:

-The pawned equipment was pawned for just $1200 and that's all it cost to get it out. The work he did "on the side" did not involve any shop equipment, files, or materials so they're not looking for anything back from those lost sales.

-The employee did show up this morning, early.

-He's been given until January 1 (end of his vacation time) to show that he's found a way out of the mess he's in (that will probably involve bankruptcy) If he does he's going to be allowed back to work on a probationary basis and without keys.

-Two other employees found out the whole story and asked for the guy to be allowed back.

So that's it. We'll see if it ever happens again. I really see it going one of two ways: The guy really is sorry, will be forever thankful for the second chance, and will turn into the best employee ever....or the guy is really a sorry person and will very quickly resort to the same level of stupidity and everybody will get to say "I told you so."

Mosh

Good, see all you meanies out for blood. Let's see what he does with his second chance. If he mucks it up hang him!

Marlene

I've always wondered why it is that when someone attempts to kill themselves and botches the attempt all the forces of medical science are brought to bear in an effort to save the would-be suicide. Why? Let it suck the pipe, it's easier to make a new one and this one has obvious flaws. Life may be unique in some Aristotelian sense but it is not in the least bit scarce. There's plenty of people.

WOW, you have finally gone over the edge into creepy internet guy status bob. looking for perfect people without flaws? wasn't that done back in Hitler's time? are you one of those who thought he was on the right track? I used to think you were just a jerk, now it's clear that you are one scary, creepy thing, not even human.