• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Should you fire this employee?

Pat Whatley

Theoretical question, don't in any way think this has anything to do with my two employees! I'm telling this from the perspective of the owner but IT'S NOT ME. This is really long, and it has to be, so if you've got something better to do you probably ought to go do that instead.

THE EMPLOYEE:
Great guy. Worked for a couple of shops in town before coming to work for me and fit here perfectly. Anything he didn't know how to do he took upon himself to learn. He went as far as to take welding classes at trade school (we paid the tuition when we found out he was doing it) just to know how to do it. Shows up to work on time, every day, took two sick days in 8 years.

The guy married an incredible woman. Cute, hilarious, everyone loved her. She had a great job as a physical therapist making damn good money. The two of them seemed inseperable.

Three years ago we got an order to put up a real estate sign on an unbelievable piece of property on the river, the kind of parcels that NEVER go on the market. I sent him out to install the sign, he came back two hours later with the sign still in the truck. He'd taken one look at it, called his wife to come look, and they'd called the broker and bought it. They built their retirement home over the next year and everything looked wonderful.

Then his wife severely blew out a knee rock climbing. Then she got addicted to the pain pills. Then she went to rehab. Then she started using her medical connections to get more pain pills. Over the course of a year she completely changed (still taking pills all day long), quit her job, started having an affair, then ran off to somewhere in the mid-west with a guy she met online, leaving my employee with two young kids and a huge mortgage.

WHY HE SHOULD/SHOULD NOT BE FIRED
I got a call from a friend of mine at a local pawn shop concerned about the employee and what he might be getting into. Besides the sign equipment in the shop we have a fully equipped wood shop. My father ran a cabinet company in this building for 30 years and when I inherited the building I moved my sign shop into the warehouse side, the wood working equipment has been in it's side virtually untouched for five years.

Turns out the employee had pawned one of the lathes over there several times, typically paying it out in a month...then back with it a couple of months later. Then one month he took in a saw, and used part of the money to renew the pawn on the lathe. Then got them both out, then pawned them both again. The cycle kept escalating until he had about $12,000 in pawn and was literally counting pennies to pay the interest. When the stuff was about to go out to be sold by the pawn shop my friend at the shop started cleaning it, saw my dad's company name on it and put the whole story together.

So I called the employee into my office (literally in shock) and all I had to say was "What's going on?" for the floodgates to open. The guy just lost it right there in my office. The house has been up for sale for over a year for $50,000 less than the mortgage but since the housing market tanked he hasn't had an offer. Without his ex-wife’s income he can’t make the payments and he’s maxed out every other avenue he had to try and ride it out until the house sold. The savings they had were all used up by the drug problems and with two young kids at home he can’t really go out and do extra work to make ends meet (no local family…and no family with the financial ability to bail him out)

I really felt sorry for him at that point but the “fire him” part came when he told me he’d been taking our jobs and doing them on the side. Things have been slow and we’re barely scraping by without having to lay anyone off as it is. He told me about a couple of billboard wraps he’d done, several lexan face replacements, and a few other jobs. He didn’t take any of the supplies needed for any of them, he just contacted our subcontractors for the printing, paid them directly, and had the payments made to him. All total he made about $4000 profit (on the jobs he told me about) but that was $4000 we could really have used (not that my employees know about the financial condition of the shop).

He was grossly apologetic and in tears. He swore he’d get the equipment back from the pawn shop (I already paid it out) and repay the money, he was just deperate and didn’t know what else to do. I asked him why he just didn’t come talk to me about it before and he just mumbled a little and never really gave me an answer.

I was torn between being pissed off and feeling sorry for him and we’d been talking for almost two hours. I gave him the rest of the week off (with pay) and told him to spend some serious time figuring out what he needed to do and how he needed to do it and I’d figure out what I needed to do. Without me asking he left his shop keys and his shop debit cards on his desk when he left.

The more I’ve looked into it and after talking to several suppliers it turns out that this has been going on a lot longer than he told me. The billboard wrap company has done 15 prints for him in the last 18 months and I now know he has “his own” real estate client who’s work he’s been doing at night. I’m afraid if I keep digging I’m going to find he’s much much deeper in this. The more I find the more sympathy for him erodes. I'm estimating his total profits on what I've found out about to be around $11,000 in 18 months.

So, as much as I feel sorry for his situation and as much as I care for him I’m really not happy right now. There were so many paths he could have taken to get out of this horrible situation….and it hurts me that the one he chose was to run over me. I’d really like to bail him out but at the same time I’m borrowing money to keep everyone paid and he’s been part of the reason behind that.

So I ask you (and thank you for reading this long, long message) any suggestions or advice? I’ve got to figure something out by Monday (yes, two weeks before Christmas) and it’s gonna eat me up all weekend.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

As harsh as this is going to sound, I'm ready to say let him go immediately. He is in a desperate situation that is his to own and has nothing to do with you. He has already committed criminal acts against you by stealing tools and pawning them. He sounds like a great guy however, who has been run into the ground by circumstances in his life - which still do not justify choices he has made. He sounds like a perfect candidate to file bankruptcy to get some breathing room. I'd also offer to loan him a gun to do in the ex wife.

Dice

Good lord. I would have had that guy hauled away in handcuffs if i could have stoped myself from getting my bat first. Who ever this guy is he's way too nice to be running a business, he should shutdown and run a charity.

Any business owner that would think twice about firing this guy most likely has problems paying their bills.

Marlene

Turns out the employee had pawned one of the lathes

he’d been taking our jobs and doing them on the side

I am an employee. I have gone thru some extreme bad times. I lost my house and had my car repo'd a few years back. not once did I take anything from my employer or do jobs under the table. being in a horrid mess does not mean that you can do whatever you please. let this person go as he is making his problems your problems and that is not right. anyone who takes from their employer should not expect anything less than being fired. his story is sad but it is not an excuse to rob you to solve his problems. taking your jobs is robbing you. pawning equipment that does not belong to him is robbing you.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Heartbreaking all the way around... but the bottom line is that he stole from the company. And I don't mean the side jobs - but the pawn stuff. That is a huge betrayal of trust that I'm not sure I would ever be able to get over. But when things get as hard as they've been for this guy... I am positive he thought there was no other way even though there was.

The side jobs? Unless he has an agreement NOT to be doing them or he is stealing customers, that wouldn't be grounds in my book. But if (and that's a BIG if) I kept him, I'd be very clear that side jobs were a no-no and grounds for immediate dismissal.

I guess what I'm saying is... can the trust and the working relationship be salvaged? Does he want them to be? This is one of those times I'd listen to my gut and if it tells me things will never be the same... I'd have to let him go... actually I think I would let him resign so that I could truthfully tell people that when they call for a reference. And they will.

Tough, tough situation... I honestly don't know what I'd do, but I think I would be leaning toward having to let him go... as much as it would kill me to do this time of year, unless I really felt he had hit rock bottom and was on the way up and at least a little grateful I wasn't on the phone with the cops... I wouldn't feel like I had any choice.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
There are people on this planet going through the same thing and would never think about stealing from anyone, not even a penny.

The problem with drug addiction is it infects others with drama, and that drama also seems to include you, he should have shielded you from that, in order to remove yourself from that drama, you need to remove him.

There are various sayings, but a simple Al-Anon term to me is "Let go and let god" This persons life is unmanageable and he is powerless over it but he needs to find that out for himself. Let him go and let the universe/god/shiva/allah/the big head take care of him. But before you do, give him a print out of the local Al-Anon or Nar-anon meetings.

That's a tragic story but as bad as it sounds I think I would have to fire him. Despite the circumstances I doubt the owner really could ever trust that employ again.

SignManiac

That's a tough one Pat. Glad I'm not in your shoes. Years ago I had a similar situation with an employee. Started out great but over the years got addicted to crack. Ultimately I fired him. He went around and borrowed $20 here and there from my clients who knew him through me. They never knew he was a drug addict and thought he still worked for me. I saw him the other day on a bicycle and he still looks like death warmed over. I have no idea how he has survived all these years without dying?

He made a bad choice and I guess I made the right one. Like sideburns said, it's business after the personal side has been ruined.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Humphf.

Sure is a tough one there, Pat. Not a situation I'd wanna be in, but in all fairness, I can't believe the owner had NO idea any of this was going on over such a long period of time. In our shop, we all talk about all kinds of things and we bounce ideas, stories and problems off of each other all the time. Some people think that's not good to be so buddy/buddy, but that's me. I like people and want to help in any way I can... if it's a worthy cause.

With all of the problems and insight this guy/owner has now, so long after so much has happened, I would probably try to help this guy. Sure, he might've done some pretty nasty things, but the way he was described here, he was embarrassed or had too much pride to ask for help and wanted to fix it on his own. Yeah, he went about it wrong, but he sounds decent and I would want to help him get back on track.

I would not fire him, but I would put him on probation and start a plan with him to get his life back in order. Try council with him and see that those kids are cared for properly. The money he made is gone and no use in discussing. They all need to look to the future for a successful outcome here.

astro8

I would say to this guy..."Don't let people make their problems you're problems."

Man, what a mess...can't carry that! I'd want this whole saga out of my life permanently.

Marie

A sad situation at home made worse by a lot of desperate decisions by the guy . . . but when you look at the facts, pawning/stealing equipment, stealing jobs/money out of your pocket, lying to over up how much money he has really made . . . the bonds of trust aren't just broken, they are shredded . . . he has to go.

BRUSHMARKS

it sounds like it might just get worse. If he was trying to do all this behind your back, and now you know what he has been doing, he might not be so discrete (sp?) about it. I think he will go after more work that comes in. The pawning of your equipment might slow down since you will prob be keeping an eye on it. But i think th ejob stealing might get worse.

Poconopete

Being on his side of the fence, having had a drug addict wife (matter of public record, she admitted it in court) I can almost sympathize with him. I had to borrow $$ up to my eyeballs to survive until my divorce was final. Lucky for him his woman ran off, mine wanted to stick around and milk me for everything. It's difficult to survive and pride eliminates the bankruptcy route.
The only reason for dismissal would be the "borrowed tools". As for the side jobs, I want go getters for employees and if they're not doing them then there's something wrong.

Signco Inc

General Manager
He has to go because he can't be trusted. You only know because he was caught. Be smart you want to get those customers back he has been dealing with. Maybe the unemployment will give him time to figure things out.

Jillbeans

That's a hard situation but there is only one real answer, fire the employee.
The employer will probably have to pay unemployment to the guy, so he won't be broke right away.
There are options for feeding the kids (innocent victims) and maybe the wife can be tracked down for child support. It sounds as if she is the one with the drug problem, not the employee, and Al-Anon (in my experience when I married) was a joke.
He has taken your things, taken your jobs. Yes he has a sad story.
But the employer may be doing him a bigger favor by letting him go, rather than trusting he will be trustworthy in the future.
Love....Jill
PS
New sign shop opening in 3,2,1...

eye4color

This guy needs to completely bottom out before he can dust himself off and start on the upswing. Firing him will probably help him in the long run.

wrapman jamz

It's pathetic to think that we're even suggesting anything other than criminal charges.
Great guy? you've just been robbed. ROBBED!

ROBBED! ROBBED! ROBBED! Still sounds like ROBBED to me no matter haw many times you say it.

pathetic

Deaton Design

Im probably one of the easiest going guys you will every meet, and after reading the whole story, I would let him go. He cant possibly be trusted. He stole business, he stole equipment, whats next? I feel really bad for the guy after all he has been through, but he should have came and talked to the owner about his problems to see if anything could be done work wise or whatever. Not steal his business and his equipment to pay his bills.
Its sad that his kids will have suffer for his problems though. I probably would buy a few gifts for each of them and make sure they got them on Christmas Eve.
Sure is a sad story though.