• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

shuts down!

wes70

Does anyone have problems with computer shutting down while using x4? I see others had it happen to them, but while printing or having other applications open. It happens too frequent and I don't have any printing or apps going on at the same time. I downloaded SP1 from corel...hoping that might help but it didn't. Does corel have a fix for this yet?

I have Corel 9 installed...very stable version. Never had problem since I upgraded from 3 - 9 in 2000.

wes70

bump...anyone?

I have x4 installed on a somewhat slow computer. AMD 3200+, 1.5 ram, 80 gig hd. Could this be the cause?

Alphonse43

Save your file often, it's a memory hungry program. I would also see if you can change your virtual memory setting.
Alphonse43

wes70

Yeah, I've been saving every minute or two! Sometimes computer shuts down as soon as start a basic vector drawing / text and when the computer reboots I can use Corel all day long without the computer shutting down. Doesn't make a difference if I'm working on a vector or bitmap image. Weird!

Techman, I had the undo set for 20...still shuts down. I'm starting to think my computer needs more "power" to operate X4 efficiently? I've noticed since upgrading to X4, basic commands take a little longer than when using version 9. I still have 9 loaded, would this have an effect?

Rooster

Something is causing a major error in your system if it crashes both the program you're running and the OS.

My preferred solution is to ditch windows altogether, but I'm sure someone here can help you sort out the issues.

My first step would be to run some sort of system diagnostic, check the hard drive for errors and reinstall X4. If you're running out of memory or drive space you should get an error not a reboot.

Lunatic Taskbar

I would initialy suggest running CCleaner (its free) and see what it comes up with Make sure you backup the registry. It will ask you if that what you want to do.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

If after cleaning the registry you have more problems then you can easily restore the registry to its current state.

It may fix it...

Give it a whirl.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
One thing you might want to check if you have not already is that your video drivers are up to date.
It is surprising how often a display conflict in a graphics program (2d or 3d) can take the system down.

wayne k
guam usa

wes70

Well folks, I don't think it's a corel issue. Computer shuts down while browsing sites. I think it may be time for a new computer. Maybe it's just a coincidence that this all started after installing X4?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

SignManiac

Any excuse for a new computer is good enough for me :) Check out Dell. I just built a $6k box and when I called them about it, they chopped the price in half! The box shipped yesterday and I only ordered it on Thursday. I remember when you would wait 2-3 weeks for delivery of a new machine.

Buy as much computer as you can afford. You won't regret the speed increase.

wes70

Un-installed X4 and will see if that makes a difference...process of elimination. For now, back to using trusty, old Corel 9.

wes70

Been using computer for over 3 hours using different applications, surfing and using Corel9...computer works great since un-installing X4. Just wondering if this a X4 issue or computer issue? I'm leaning towards the computer not having enough "juice". When I used X4, commands were quite slow, but not when using version 9.

Soooo...I need some convincing that its the computer. Come on twist my arm so I'll have to upgrade!

Ken

You have to expect that the latest version is built to use the latest from Microscam. Yes..you have my authority to build (not buy) a new computer.
Cheers!
Ken

wes70

Thanks guys!

rcook, the computer is roughly 2.5 years old...just a cheap box store computer. It did the job...until now!

Ken, I'd build one if I could, but I'll have to buy one.
Dell has a sale on a Inspiron 518 with these specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 3gb ram, 500gb hard drive for $600.00 canadian
Seams like a good deal?

SignBurst PCs

If you are going to go with a Dell, at least consider going with the "Precision" workstations... they are a "higher-quality" system that will give you less trouble in the long run. They are higher priced than the "Inspiron", but there is a reason.

I also happen to know a great company who sells just what you are looking for!

http://signburst.com