• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sigh... employee cut into the bottom roller...

ucmj22

One last, hopefully helpful tip. When we get a wrap we first back out as much as we can with the reverse switch on the laminator. Then we use a hem cutter, I'm not sure if it called that, but it is used to cut the stitching when sewing. It looks like a small mettle serpents tongue with one side longer than the other. Both sides are blunt with the cutting surface where they come together in the middle. It is a little time consuming but better than hacking up a roll.

Wouldnt one of those envelope openers work better?

Attachments

• s0345069_sc7.jpg
    s0345069_sc7.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited by a moderator:

Suz

seam ripper?

One last, hopefully helpful tip. When we get a wrap we first back out as much as we can with the reverse switch on the laminator. Then we use a hem cutter, I'm not sure if it called that, but it is used to cut the stitching when sewing. It looks like a small mettle serpents tongue with one side longer than the other. Both sides are blunt with the cutting surface where they come together in the middle. It is a little time consuming but better than hacking up a roll.

kanini

Yep, we have those too, from now on it's the only thing going near the laminator. Stupidly I thought that just telling the employee three or four times to be VERY careful with the rollers and DON'T cut near them would have been enough, but... And it's masked vinyl, not that super expensive material, so what's the matter if they roll out a couple extra feet... Well, lesson learned, the laminator works well still though, no signs of problems with the cut but I'm prepared for the worst.

Sticky Signs; these rollers are silicone rollers, are they also tight wound? They look molded almost, like there isn't tension in the material, or am I wrong?

Thanks again everybody for good posts and some funny ones to brighten up the day, as always! :)

MikeH

Sticky Signs

Exploding roller?! I've been in this industry for over 30 years and never heard of the exploding roller. What kind of machine was it? All silicon rollers are suppose to be glued to the steal core not to do so would be silly, and frankly with any load on it will probably fall apart soon. I cannot imagine some one saving the few bucks it cost to put the adhesive on the core.

DSC

I have employees.. they use the daige .. we replace the bottom roller about every 1.5 years. codb. It costs me more to worry about it.

kanini

We had some more training today with the guy and he was really, really sorry for it, don't even think he noticed he cut the roller when he did, but from now on he only uses the safety cutter "snitty", and not anywhere near the rollers so I guess that's that. We'll see how long the roller lasts and change it when it's done. It doesn't affect laminating at all so far... Haven't got the quote yet for a new one (slow salesmen huh).
I doubt the roller could explode, I think it's somehow casted on the steel axle, and doesn't seem to have that tension in the material...