• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Boot Feedback Wanted

signboot

Just testing that thick skin... Gino, can set you up to be my distributor.

Nice John! Hey, you might have something there!
And did it a damn site quicker than I did.
Good luck with that.

How much is it?
How bout some engineered wind load studies?

Hey, all in fun, appreciate you humor.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It is at my house !!

Ceptin' we call 'em high balls..... none a that cocktail stuff. :bushmill:

SlightlyChilled

Any and all comments, good and bad are welcome, and happy to answer any questions/concerns.

NO need to be lippy son thats what they looked like. Never know you could have had them made that way or you might just router them out. Instead of being sarcastic maybe go fix your web page so you can see where to click instead of having to run the mouse all over the page to see your speed bumps

And yes it is a cool idea.I like that someone was thinking outside the box

signboot

I sent an email to a few customers to see if they would be interested. It is a clean look, with no posts to paint or install. I could see this for real estate signs. And it works with 10 mil coroplast, which eliminates wood and lowers price. I think there is potential....

Mike, Thanks for that.

The 10mil Coroplast works very well indeed.
I had the plant in Vanceburg, Ky. cut some 4'x8' sheets with the flutes running the 4' direction. They actually run it some 98"wide through the extruder. It's just a matter of how they cut the extrusion. With the flutes running in that direction, it gives the vertical stability, allowing for up to 8' wide signs to be installed.

signboot

Any and all comments, good and bad are welcome, and happy to answer any questions/concerns.

NO need to be lippy son thats what they looked like. Never know you could have had them made that way or you might just router them out. Instead of being sarcastic maybe go fix your web page so you can see where to click instead of having to run the mouse all over the page to see your speed bumps

Hey Hey Hey Slightly!
No intention to be "lippy" at all. Just a trying to be a bit light hearted!
Actually, I thought it was pretty observant on your part, in that, thats really all it is.

Seriously, no harm intended, my apologies Sir!

Sorry your having trouble with the site,
Where is it that your having trouble specifically?

Border

These things do look like they have some great uses, especially in places where you want a semi-permanent base mounted.

signboot

Ill change the name to mostly pissed off than :)

Your tabs for where the pics and stuff are, it's all white no letterrs...

OK, as long as your not all the way pissed off ;)

There are a couple of ways to view the pictures.
You can touch either the left or right arrows to rotate the pictures.
Or, click on one of the pictures in the background.
Or, If your mouse has a roller, you can"roll" through the carousel of pics.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

signboot

These things do look like they have some great uses, especially in places where you want a semi-permanent base mounted.

Thanks Border,

Thats one of the best ways I see them being used. The Boot stays in the ground, while you get to make repeated signs for the customer. They can change them themselves very easily, so you don't have to install for them.
I've been in the sign business for over 30 years, and I don't think I ever made a dime installing signs, considering the time it takes you away from making real money in the shop.

Best,

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Border,

Thats one of the best ways I see them being used. The Boot stays in the ground, while you get to make repeated signs for the customer. They can change them themselves very easily, so you don't have to install for them.

I've been in the sign business for over 30 years, and I don't think I ever made a dime installing signs, considering the time it takes you away from making real money in the shop.

Best

I know we all have our ways of doing things, but that's a rather silly statement. 30 years...... and you never made money on installations ?? That's sounds more like a pitch to me to sell these things, but then, maybe you were a lousy installer or had lousy people working for you.

Perhaps your price is on the high side to make up for 30 years worth of lost revenue ??

I believe there might be a use for these things, but some of our customers want a simple 4' x 4' sign to hold up for a year or two. Will this hold up a 1/4" alumalite without any problems ??

Right now they build a sled for about $35 worth of wood and maybe an hours [one man's] time in it. Selling it for $190.00 seems too high to compare. A friend of mine here on s101 helped build 8 sleds this summer [2 per 4' x 8'] in about 3 or 4 hours. That's so you know I ain't making it up. I have a character witness to this one. :rock-n-roll:

signboot

I know we all have our ways of doing things, but that's a rather silly statement. 30 years...... and you never made money on installations ?? That's sounds more like a pitch to me to sell these things, but then, maybe you were a lousy installer or had lousy people working for you.

Perhaps your price is on the high side to make up for 30 years worth of lost revenue ??

I believe there might be a use for these things, but some of our customers want a simple 4' x 4' sign to hold up for a year or two. Will this hold up a 1/4" alumalite without any problems ??

Right now they build a sled for about $35 worth of wood and maybe an hours [one man's] time in it. Selling it for $190.00 seems too high to compare. A friend of mine here on s101 helped build 8 sleds this summer [2 per 4' x 8'] in about 3 or 4 hours. That's so you know I ain't making it up. I have a character witness to this one. :rock-n-roll:

Gino, point taken, and it was a bit of a pitch, you know, trying to make a buck.
But I've always viewed the installation part as a necessary evil, in that my guys or myself could make more money making signs in the shop or on sales calls. I've been very lucky that in the past 15 years, with the direction my business has taken, I hav'nt had to install many signs, we ship them out to events etc. But again, I do see your point, and it is well taken.
This is not an answer to all things signs, but I think/hope it's a solution to some.

The 1/4" alumalite will work just fine. It may require a shim piece or washer or two to make up the difference in the width of the slot. but I've used 1/4" Polygal with no problem. You can also use nuts and bolts to secure the panel in the Boot instead of the nylon 1/2" allthread pins, but I hav'nt seen the need to date.

Hey, I like your style!
Reminds me of those old heads I learned from, tough old ornery buggers. Miss 'em all!

PS. Glenlivet on the rocks for me. Not cocktail OR highball....straight to the brain!

Cheers Sir!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ahhhh........ a single malt kinda guy. I can drink that til the cows come home and then some. I used to drink that on fancy occasions, but I've switched to Bushmill completely. Scotch if there's no good whiskey around. Yep, look out stomach, here it comes.........

Yeah, installation is a kinda problem if you're using your sign making guys to do installs. We do if we're putting up channels or electric signs, but for most installations, we have two guys we use for that stuff. On a 'quickie' we might go out, but we charge dearly for our installations. A bad installation can ruin your reputation as easy as a badly made sign.

Will the 1/4" last for two years without any going back and fiddlin' with it ??

Guess ya can't answer it if they're not out on the market yet. Guess there's no really good prototypes out there, yet.

:toasting: backatcha​

signboot

Ahhhh........ a single malt kinda guy. I can drink that til the cows come home and then some. I used to drink that on fancy occasions, but I've switched to Bushmill completely. Scotch if there's no good whiskey around. Yep, look out stomach, here it comes.........

Yeah, installation is a kinda problem if you're using your sign making guys to do installs. We do if we're putting up channels or electric signs, but for most installations, we have two guys we use for that stuff. On a 'quickie' we might go out, but we charge dearly for our installations. A bad installation can ruin your reputation as easy as a badly made sign.

Will the 1/4" last for two years without any going back and fiddlin' with it ??

Guess ya can't answer it if they're not out on the market yet. Guess there's no really good prototypes out there, yet.
:toasting: backatcha​

Gino,
Your right, don't know that the 1/4" will last for two years. But I can tell you that during the time we've been testing, we hav'nt had a problem, and we've had some hell fire storms! So, I'm betting that it will.
Thats kinda the reason I'm feelin pretty good about this product. At first I was skeptical to say the least, but the damn thing just works.

Anywho....., Have a good evening, and thanks for the banter!

tsgstl

Any future smaller versions in the works?
And if so would this work for vertical installations? Having a side mounted system for urban areas seems like a good fit.

Or even interior installs, malls or movie theaters with a quick change setup like this sounds sellable.

What's been your experiences with submitting this for permits?

Last edited:

Salmoneye

Looks great for indoor use, wouldn't last here for 2min outdoors. We make 4' x 4' realtor sign frames out of 4" square tubing welded, the feet are 6'-8' x 4" welded to the bottom of the risers of the frame. We take the ends in with 24" rebar. I went out on a call the other day and one had ripped out and tumbled about 50yards across a huge lot. We get real wind here, that one would be for indoor use only and away from the door. Don't get me wrong, I do like it, just not here.

signboot

Any future smaller versions in the works?
And if so would this work for vertical installations? Having a side mounted system for urban areas seems like a good fit.

Or even interior installs, malls or movie theaters with a quick change setup like this sounds sellable.

What's been your experiences with submitting this for permits?

Good morning Helen,

Yes, we have other designs and sizes in the works, but for now, this is the only model available. I'll certainly post her when new models are out.

These Boots will most definitely work indoors, but honestly, there are probably better, cheaper, lighter options.

Frankly, I have very limited experience in permitting these. I'm thinking each area is different.
Here in Louisville, it varies in different parts of the city. One customer is only allowed 1, 32sf sign for 28 days a year. He's using the Sign Boot to promote this holiday's specials with several signs that he will change daily.

Hope this helps, and thanks for the reply.

signboot

Looks great for indoor use, wouldn't last here for 2min outdoors. We make 4' x 4' realtor sign frames out of 4" square tubing welded, the feet are 6'-8' x 4" welded to the bottom of the risers of the frame. We take the ends in with 24" rebar. I went out on a call the other day and one had ripped out and tumbled about 50yards across a huge lot. We get real wind here, that one would be for indoor use only and away from the door. Don't get me wrong, I do like it, just not here.

I hear ya Salmoneye!
I once had a whole field of sideline panels in the Cotton Bowl get blown accross the field like combies when a huge black storm circled, then swooped down on the field. In the course of 5 minutes, the field had 2' feet of water, knocked out the live TV feed (thank goodness) and left everyone God-smacked!......yes, you do have some weather down there!

The Sign Boots are not for every application, but hopefully fill a need.

How do the "Windmaster" type springy signs used for highway construction zones hold up down there?