Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sign construction advice

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Circleville Signs, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Circleville Signs

Circleville Signs Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Circleville, OH
    OK - Here's my dilema - and I know there is probably an easy answer, however i've not ever tried this before with Polymetal/Dibond.

I've got a sign completely made out of 6mm Polymetal. It is 3'x6', or at least the panel is.

This panel has a full digital print piece laid down on it. I need to attach some routed shapes to this face, that are also cut from 6mm Polymetal.

Here's the kicker - they need to be flush, AND I can' have bolts sticking out of the back of the sign, as it is single sided, eye level post mounted.

Oh, yeah - and one layer of the routed shapes sits on top of another one, but is larger - so I'm going to have to anchor it with some type of spacers, I'm thinking?

Will gorilla glue work for this? I'm worried to use silicone because I won't be able to get things flush.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    I would probably use laminating adhesive sheets for that...my brand of choice is mactac IB-2107 comes 17"x22" sheets

silicone done correctly would be flush...just weigh it down

3. Circleville Signs

Sep 30, 2009
    Circleville, OH
    Will the adhesive on those sheets be strong enough to hold up a shaped peice that weighs, say, 3 lbs?

4. J Hill Designs

Sep 24, 2004
    I would say so...It's full contact across the entire surface...I can test with a heavier than 3 lbs setup RQ if you want...

5. Circleville Signs

Sep 30, 2009
    Circleville, OH
    That would be awesome if you don't mind!

6. J Hill Designs

Sep 24, 2004
    sure gimme a half hour

7. theskipman_98

theskipman_98 Member

May 14, 2007
  8. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    how thick is your base piece and lettering?
    i've stud mouted 1/8" to 1/8" before without having the studs sticking out either side... paired with adhesive of any kind, they'll never fall off.

9. J Hill Designs

Sep 24, 2004
    OK approx 5lb - 1/8" aluminum sheet attached to dibond - not only does it not fall off, I am having a hard time releasing it with force

as for exterior, I can only imagine yes since its a PE core with acrylic adhesive...water/solvent resistant

Attached Files:

10. Circleville Signs

Sep 30, 2009
    Circleville, OH
    Sweet man!! Just ordered some of it and will post the finished sign once I pick up the sheets and get it finished!

11. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I'd use 3M VHB tape

12. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

+1

13. FatCat

FatCat Very Active Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Great thread! :thumb:

14. J Hill Designs

Sep 24, 2004
    most VHB is too thick to not see a visible offset from the surface..and the thin stuff (I have found) doesnt quite work that well

15. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    What about a nest rout were the panels will be placed? Then they could be glued/silconed into the inset.