• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign I did today

S

signs-work

Ok guys im pretty proud of this sign. The customer really didn't, have the money for new faces so i cleaned the faces the best i could even though there is some that shows through. Overall its not to bad here it is.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 138

briankb

Premium Subscriber
How big is the sign?

I'm ignorant on these types of signs and their fabrication. Could you have painted the entire thing white before updating it or would the old sign still show through?

Jillbeans

Not to be a turd in the punch bowl...but it's very difficult to read.
The lettering is way too large/close to the edges, and in my opinion would have looked better in white with a punchy black outline.
Love....Jill

Jillbeans

Here's a quick suggestion that is by no means a masterpiece.
But next time, when asking us technical stuff like can I reuse an old sign face, please ask us layout stuff too.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 127

John Butto

This is located in Louisiana, you do not want to cover up the flag with some quirky type.
The way he has it, fits the visual. Of course a new piece of acrylic would help but it seems money was an object.

Jillbeans

I did have it in Futura but I spelled Verde wrong so threw in the Motel Kings.
I think no matter the locale, legibility is vital.

John Butto

Legibility is only good if you can read english, if you went to Mexico and did not know the language and saw an American flag with comida y bebida, would you go in.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't know if I was going into a Mexican restaurant or an Italian Trattoria.

Spacing, use of negative space, colors and just about every other rule for electrical signs have been broken on this one. However, it still does it's job.

Marlene

I wouldn't know if I was going into a Mexican restaurant or an Italian Trattoria.

me either. our flag is pretty clear what it is as is the flag for England. a lot of other countries have bands of color and I can't tell Mexican flag from one from Italy or Ireland. having the words show up is what counts and I'm pretty sure people can read and why would that be a consideration? the sign is for a business in the USA and you worry about people being able to read another sign so why a Mexican Food place?

S

signs-work

Thanks for the advice. I work with signs to fit the customers budjet is why i used there face. I did explain that it may show through and it does but not that bad. I like the way you did that thats pretty cool Ill consider that for the next job thanks. The customers are extremely happy. No its not a masterpiece but its a work in progress. With what i have i like i and thats why i showed it off.

Border

Thanks for the advice. I work with signs to fit the customers budjet is why i used there face. I did explain that it may show through and it does but not that bad. I like the way you did that thats pretty cool Ill consider that for the next job thanks. The customers are extremely happy. No its not a masterpiece but its a work in progress. With what i have i like i and thats why i showed it off.

Nice to see that you acknowledge that there is room for improvement. Keep it up and keep your eyes on the other design critique threads here on s101. It will help you get better.
:thumb:

mountainmang

brother, if the customer is happy and happily paid for it, it's an awesome job:thumb: ever do work in an office full of women? signs101 is not unlike that:banghead:

Marlene

ever do work in an office full of women? signs101 is not unlike that:banghead:

excuse me??? many of the members on this site are women and in the sign business. 1965 is calling your name and wants you to get back into your time machine and go home

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
aye chihuahua... I think slapping copy on an overpowering graphic is a bad idea...

ddarlak

Go Bills!
seriously marlene???

just because there are women here AND they work in the sign business doesn't take anything away from the fact that women are women.....