• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Maker / Car Wrapper / Media Designer From Germany Q&a

Lukas.S.

Hey, I'm Lukas and I'm from Germany.
I am 33 years old and have a certified education of 4 years as a media designer and advertising technician.
I am doing this since the age of 16 and have therefore 17 years of experience in this job.
My specialization is vehicle wraps of all kinds, such as cars, boats, but also shop windows and so on.
I also create and design the templates by myself.
For about 6 years I am in a leading position for managing the production.
Unfortunately, the Germans only like designs, which are very simple.
I am a creative person and want to convince with my designs and my craft.
I believe the Americans are more open for it and I can show my talents.
Does anyone have tips where in the USA a creative young family with two children should go?
Where is a requirement?
At which companies I can apply and what would be a standard salary for my qualifications and experience?
It would be really cool to hear from you and to learn how American advertising technology differs from the German. ( I'm sorry for my english!) ;-)
Greetings, Lukas Schubert

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Usually, simple works the best. It's called the KISS method. Keep It Simple Stupid.

You are grossly mistaken, if you think your ideas or take on advertisement over here is geared towards what you like. For the most part, those overdone designs are not liked bymost, but since they're so many people in this industry that think they are designers, we are overrun with lousy layouts and designs.

Perhaps, just send your resume to some companies you admire and see where it goes. Not seeing your work or capabilities kinda puts someone over here on the spot. I, would never recommend anyone who I have no idea of the level, other than just a sayso.

Lukas.S.

Hey Gino, thank you for your statement. I think I can assess my qualifications very well.
I graduated in media design with exams. This took 4 years. I've been doing this for 17 years and know that my designs are not "lousy layouts". ;-)
You don't make any recommendations without knowing my work is understandable. You do not have to. I am only happy about friendly tips among colleagues and creatives. :)

SlikGRFX

Hi Lukas, just so I can understand your point of view. You are willing to move your entire family to the USA because you think Americans will prefer your design work?

Honestly I think anyone in the creative industry would share your feelings. But, one of the skills of being a designer is designing for the customer and not for yourself. Being a professional is about working to a brief and delivering cost effective designs that make a profit for your company. You can take pride in the fact that customers return for your work.

If you want professional freedom then you should think about starting your own business. Most sign and design companies have a 'feel' to their work that attracts a certain type of customer. Maybe the places you have worked just don't attract the types of customer who are looking for your particular design style. If nobody else is producing designs like yours, that might be evidence of an opportunity. There are niche markets everywhere. You should find out who would be interested in your style of designs and whether you can make a viable business out of it. You have the experience...time to make it work for you.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hey Gino, thank you for your statement. I think I can assess my qualifications very well.
I graduated in media design with exams. This took 4 years. I've been doing this for 17 years and know that my designs are not "lousy layouts". ;-)
You don't make any recommendations without knowing my work is understandable. You do not have to. I am only happy about friendly tips among colleagues and creatives. :)

Seriously, I wish you good luck with your venture, but simply taking your sayso for your qualifications won't cut it..... anywhere. Having 17 years or 37 years doesn't do a thing for anyone. If you don't want to show your work, so be it, but anyone hiring is gonna wanna see a complete resume and perhaps some examples of you working in their facility, before they hire a designer for the cost you might need to support a move around the world for you and your family. Tips, leads or introductions cannot be given without knowing.

You haven't displayed any indication of skill, no track record whatsoever on anything or why you are looking to re-locate, other than no one in your immediate area understands your designs and you've been doing it for a few years.

I guess, what I'm saying is you need to be brutally honest with yourself, because alot depends on this, if you are going to continue this direction. If you hire on somewhere and can't cut it, you'll be in a strange country with 4 mouths to feed and next to no family to help you. I admire your confidence in yourself, but next you need to share your confidence. Remember, we are a visual industry. Words don't mean diddly. We wanna see things. :toasting:

Lane J

Hey Lukas,

The company I work for produces a lot of projects for a company called DDB DDB Worldwide | Homepage and they produce some really imaginative campaigns. I know they operate worldwide, we do work for their Canadian branch. As far as wages and where to look in America, I don't have any clue! Good luck though.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Get a good profile together on LinkedIn, get a good resume together & look around the major job sites and even craigslist. Any major metro area should have multiple shops looking for good employees. Something you may not know about the US is that the cost of living goes up drastically in some areas of the country, so the pay there is "higher" as your expenses are also "higher" to live in those areas. So, consider that when looking for what you'd like to make versus what you'd like to "keep" after paying your bills and live happily. Good luck to you!

Lukas.S.

First of all I thank you for the nice comments. I'll try to put some of my works online the next few days. Before I go such a big step with my family that must be well planned. But we have family in the USA. My wife's sister and her American husband live in Savannah. So we know the US a little bit. Unfortunately, no one is active in the advertising industry, so I'm interested in how your experiences are. I thought I'd concentrate on the labeling (? Is it the correct word for vinyl work?) of boats and trucks. I often do large-area printing and digital printing. I would like to be self-employed, but this is a big step. In Germany this is associated with a lot of bureaucracy and offices. The bookkeeping is very strict. But the Germans are so anyway. :) This is sometimes good, but sometimes very tiring

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Lukas, I wish you the best at this new adventure. Can't say the best area. Savannah is certainly a large city. Be nice to be around family of some kind too. All depends on your desired pay rate. I'm paid well and I live in a fairly small city. Some would consider it very small. Do you like a predominantly hot climate or cooler? Mixed climates? What about demographics? I live in a very specific type of city. Not going to give details though. Lets just say it's 99% Republican. Very comfortable for me. Good retirement community with a strong tourist area just around the corner. No snow here but occasionally gets cold. Like saltwater fishing?t Coastal areas are good. No mountains here either.

shoresigns

My specialization is vehicle wraps of all kinds, such as cars, boats, but also shop windows and so on.
Unfortunately, the Germans only like designs, which are very simple.
I am a creative person and want to convince with my designs and my craft.

Most sign companies have awful "designers". If your creative work is really good and you enjoy doing signage, why not work as a freelance designer and offer your services to many sign companies? Most sign companies wouldn't have enough "creative" work to keep you busy full-time.

bilge

I guess, your plan to move is related to current situation in Germany and your worry about your children's future not about your job, right? You just want to be politically correct. My sister is German citizen, when she lived in a border city, there was a mess. She asked me whether she move to US, Canada or go back to home country, I said better to stay there. She moved to Wiesbaden, everything is ok now. If your sister lives in US and having sufficient amount of money covers at least 1 years expense, just go ahead. Just ask sister to find accomodation near her. You don't expect higher wages than Germany, but lot more opportunity to work your own. I have many friends and relatives in the US and my US multi entry visa expires 2024.

printhog

Lukas- the technician level skills and trade training you have are far greater experience than anything the trade has here for an average wrap installer. Germany's trade education system surpassses the US by far. Id expect that both your skills and your project management ability would be sought after. But i dont know what your design view is. Finding a wrap shop that isnt about tattooing a car with "Biker" or "Graffiti" art is going to be hard as the main driver of the wrap trade for most new shops is a company called "Fellers" and they are all about the new market of car customizing. As for salary, with 17 years experience and trade skills certificates, you should command $52,000 annual plus benefits. as for regions, California's Capitol, Sacramento, is one of the fastest growing areas. Its reasonably affordable and has a great lifestyle. There are several large wrap shops there.. one I know is ProWraps,Inc. he's a member here and has a big operation serving major clientele. Theres also Ferrari Color (3 locations) and GM Nameplate (Many locations, major national operation, lots of advancement possibilities). Good Luck in your search. Post some pics of your work and concentrate your resume on your certifications, your skills, and visual examples of your work and what challenges you had to face to do that work..

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Get a good profile together on LinkedIn, get a good resume together & look around the major job sites and even craigslist. Any major metro area should have multiple shops looking for good employees. Something you may not know about the US is that the cost of living goes up drastically in some areas of the country, so the pay there is "higher" as your expenses are also "higher" to live in those areas. So, consider that when looking for what you'd like to make versus what you'd like to "keep" after paying your bills and live happily. Good luck to you!
I'm with you on pretty much everything except Craigslist...

Johnny Best

You know we are not all cowboys over here. I know it might seem like that when you read all the posts.
Good luck in your adventure into the design market in America.
Why don't you and your family take a vacation to America first and visit different shops and see if there are opportunities available first.
Instead of just cold calling America.

Last edited: