• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

sign material storage

I'm looking at building something to store my sign material (coro, aluminum, alupanel, mdo, etc4x8 sheets and cuts in. Was thinking about something made from wood that I can stand everything up and see what I have from the side. Does anyone have a picture of how the store material for signs

shoresigns

We have a metal storage rack that holds 4x8 sheets vertically. Each "slot" is only a few inches wide so the sheets don't lean very far, to reduce the chances of bending/warping the sheet. As long as our production people are careful, we don't generally have any issues with the sheets getting scratched or damaged.

Signsforwhile

after years of a sloppy unmanageable pile we had a slow day and i sent my guys to the lumber yard. $100 later we have a 120"x60" storage rack with 4 slots.

2013-10-23 17.03.19.jpg

Kottwitz-Graphics

I built one out of 1" square tubing. I made the end open, and hinged it to the wall, and added a wheel to the bottom. I also added some pvc tubing (cut into 1" pieces) over pipes on the bottom, so that I can roll heavy material (think 1 3/8" MDO) in and out. It tucks up against the wall by the garage door (there is a 12" dead space in my shop).

After building it, I figured out the weak spot was the single wheel at the bottom (I kinda - sorta followed some home improvement plans that I've seen in some mag). Now I gotta go back and take everything out, and add some extra wheels at the bottom to make it more stable.

petepaz

going to add some shelves to the left but this is what we have so far

Attachments

• new rack.jpg
    new rack.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 685
  • new rack-1.jpg
    new rack-1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 337

Speedsterbeast

Watching this thread closely. My new shop is almost finished and I'm planning on building a storage rack right away. I like the use of the pallet racking, but the plywood sheets seem like overkill for a divider. Pat, looks like total chaos in your shop, but that's usually a sign of a busy shop.

Chriswagner92

Is there an advantage to storing materials vertically, like portrait style? I was just thinking that would warp the materials more easily than if it were stood up long ways.

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
substrate rack

yup. built a frame out of two bys. stuck 1" steel poles front and back 99" tall. six rows of
"i cannot believe that's butter"
rack that takes a beating.
my camera is broke.

-mosher

petepaz

Watching this thread closely. My new shop is almost finished and I'm planning on building a storage rack right away. I like the use of the pallet racking, but the plywood sheets seem like overkill for a divider. Pat, looks like total chaos in your shop, but that's usually a sign of a busy shop.

all the material used to build the rack we already had in the shop so we are just using it up

OldPaint

up and outa the way off the floor.

Attachments

• Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 378
  • Picture 010s.jpg
    Picture 010s.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 316
  • Picture 013s.jpg
    Picture 013s.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 358