• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

sign post install

petepaz

i recently read an article in one of the sign mags about a sign install and based on what i read it appears that they put the dry cement around the post, tamped it down then put the dirt back over it and they claim the water from the ground mixes in and hardens the cement around the post.
does this work? doesn't seem like the cement will harden all the way through?
i don't do many of these but the few times i have had to do it i mix the cement and then pour it around the post.

SignsonTime

That's how we have always done it and never have had an issue. I suppose it depends on the moisture in the ground in your area. Here in the Midwest it works.

J Hill Designs

I'll do it for small signs - or pour in dry concrete and 'water' it.

had a client see me do it...said 'I didn't know you had to water signs' I replied 'yeah, I accidentally made it too small'

jayhawksigns

Nice because you can pour, cover and leave. Don't have to worry about making up supports to hold the sign straight while the concrete hardens.

Stuckup

I'll do it for small signs - or pour in dry concrete and 'water' it.

had a client see me do it...said 'I didn't know you had to water signs' I replied 'yeah, I accidentally made it too small'

Love it, LOL. We use post-crete here, put post in hole, empty the bags in the hole, level post, add water, Hardens in 15 mins.

Jackpine

Done that for years with no problems. We add no water. Pole buildings are done the same way here in the upper midwest.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This is just my opinion and maybe that of the concrete company's as well...... It says right on the bag.... mix with water. Also, I think you're referring to concrete, which has cement in it.

In order for concrete to reach it's full strength, it needs ample water over a certain period of time.... usually when the initial mixing takes place. Otherwise, if you rely on the concrete to leach the moisture from the ground, you'll get a somewhat hard mix, but it will never remain strong and durable.

We use this method when doing temporary signs. It will usually remain in place, but not for very long, but the best part is.... when you wanna go remove it, it crumbles down like crazy. It will literally bust apart just squeezing it with your hands. I'd never put a permanent sign up like this or anything needing more than a year in the same place.

Pat Whatley

There's a difference.

If you pour the mix in dry and either pour water on top or let it seep from the ground it does harden and it does hold but it does crack. We do it all the time for real estate signs and smaller permanent signs and I've never had a problem. If you go to remove the sign, however, the concrete breaks into chunks. It actually makes removal easier and you can just leave the chunks in the hole as part of the backfill. We do this all the time because given the choice between spending $3 on quik-crete or spending an extra 30 minutes trying to pack Alabama clay around a post the choice is obvious.

If you mix the concrete first and then add it to the hole the mix is stronger. You go to remove the post and the concrete is coming with it.

I don't think it makes a difference until you get into signs that need a structural concrete footing.

Stuckup

we have a few types of concrete for posts, some say mix first, 1 or 2 say just add water after pouring contents in. Have to find the correct one.

Stuckup

I did put Sign posts in last Friday, and I made sure I used the wrong concrete, they were speed bump warning signs, and they were required because the elderly residents were speeding on their electric scooters and wheel chairs, I suggested we needed signs that gave way when hit lol, client accepted. Dont want them blowing away in a storm, but definately want them to give a bit when hit.

JAMEY

I'll dig the holes...place the 4x4s or 6x6s from the sign in them...pour in a bag of cement on each...give it a squirt with the hose or a gallon of water on each...back fill in the dirt leaving room for the sod...place the sod...and plum/straighten it all up.

Bang. Done.

DizzyMarkus

I have built decks, sunrooms and small additions using this method and have for 25 years. We do add a splash of water on top before covering the dry concrete. Never had any issues and I live in horrific weather area lol

Just my 2cents -- hope everyone had a nice weekend,
Markus

ChicagoGraphics

Out of all the post & panel signs we do we never used cement, just dig your hole at least 30" deep set your post and pack the dirt around the post tight, done! Never had a sign tilt or blow over.

Sign-Man Signs

40 lbs bag of Quick Crete per post. Water in hole first, add Quick Crete, Shake and level post, more water and finish off with rest of bag. Been doing it for over 20 years. Course it is a ***** when they want you to take it down.

k.a.s.

We have put up tons of posts with no concrete, it is possible to tamp a post in tight without concrete. There are times when we add whats called "post set" in the holes, and in that case we usually don't add any water.

Kevin