• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign remake

Solego

Hello everyone

This will be my first paying job for an actual sign. I was given free reign to come up with a new design for this school. I am new at this, so anything you say will be helpful.

This is the original sign:
rsz_1installed-banner.jpg

Here is my attempt at a redesign. The lion's head is the new logo and the school colors are red, white, and blue. My idea is to weave the school colors into the design without being to bold.

Front-Sign-Mock-Up-1.jpg

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanx
Mike

Your layout is very nice. I would only suggest that you might want to create your layout over a whited out photo of the existing sign or recreate the shape of the sign as an outline to design within.

Is the lion clip art? It's rather nice. It appears to represent a prestigious organization, rather than a high school football team like the current lion does.

You might also try modifying the letter R so that the main copy fits together nicer. The R with it's long tail makes it appear as though the kerning is off.

Solego

The lion's head logo is a vector created by the guy who does their website. He gave it to me free to use for the sign.

I would like to have a border but am not talented enough to create the shape of the sign in illustrator.

SignProPlus-Chip

The lion's head logo is a vector created by the guy who does their website. He gave it to me free to use for the sign.

I would like to have a border but am not talented enough to create the shape of the sign in illustrator.

Your not talented enough to push a few nodes around in AI, but your designing signs?

Take a break from "designing" play around with illustrator for a few days and learn the raw basics. Drawing out a basic shape for a sign like that should take about 3 minutes and it's REALLY something you should have in a proof for your client.

John Butto

The website guy must work for Bigstock as a designer.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-09 at 9.56.16 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-08-09 at 9.56.16 AM.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 70

Solego

Your not talented enough to push a few nodes around in AI, but your designing signs?

Take a break from "designing" play around with illustrator for a few days and learn the raw basics. Drawing out a basic shape for a sign like that should take about 3 minutes and it's REALLY something you should have in a proof for your client.

I'm trying really hard to take that as constructive criticism. So, thank you for your advice to continue to build on basic skills in Illustrator.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
You could really mend their mind! Seriously though, you're in the sign business and don't know any software?

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 92
  • rsz_1installed-banner.jpg
    rsz_1installed-banner.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 71

visual800

I like what you did, but please kern those couple letters! Ive seen alot worse and I dig the font you chose. Good job imo

TimToad

A couple of the first things any young or inexperienced designer wants to work on is prioritizing your messages so they:

A. Don't compete with each other due to being too close to each other in size, boldness and color.
B. Provide the viewer with a set of visual cues they should recognize and identify with in their order of importance.

Dig up some old issues of SignCraft magazine and really study the work of Bob Behounek and others who have had those basic principles drilled into our heads by our elders.

Keep it simple, work on character and font weights, proper typography utilization, take a class on color theory, don't try to "do too much" on every job and you'll be fine.

I often can't believe the number of graphic design pieces I see put together by seemingly experienced designers with very little adherence to these basics. Learn the differences between display, book, etc. fonts and when to use which.

Solego

I just paid for a subscription to Signcraft today. I am going to go back and adjust the kerning of those letters. It didn't bother me because I didn't look at it from your viewpoint. Now I have and have learned something new. Thank you everyone for your insight and compliments. I do have enough knowledge to design a simple sign in Illustrator. I also learned how to add anchor points and use shape builder today.

Now for the big question!

What would you charge to for this whole job. The substrates are new and I've been told they are the same shape and size. White painted aluminum. Two separate sheets, so two signs, to be installed by them.

The signs are 87" across. The peak is 48" tall. The top corners are at 32" tall.

I've come up with $291 for the first side and $257 for the second side with $48 for one hour design time. It actually took 4 hours, but I'm not charging this school for me to learn. So, I figure a one hour minimum is fair and ethical.

This comes to a total of $596.

I understand different locales demand different prices. Fortunately, there is a sign shop literally five blocks from my neighborhood. My wife is a friend of a business that used this local sign shop. The business was charged $300 for a 3ft x 3ft one color vinyl graphic. I believe my estimate is not out of the zone of probability.

Any thoughts?

Mike

Solego

I took the overwhelming advice and worked on the kerning. It only took me an hour. How does it look?

Front-Sign-Mock-Up (1).jpg

JMPrinting

Are they providing the substrate? Is it already cut like that? Not sure about the price...I'm doing some alum core signs that are single sided, 2 color 35x90 for $425 each

Techman

but I'm not charging this school for me to learn. So, I figure a one hour minimum is fair and ethical.

Fair and ethical would be first learning your software, and the basics of design, and then learning how to charge for your work before passing one's self off as a sign maker..

My friend..

Many wish to become signmaker having no previous experience, knowledge or awareness of the industry. This seems to happen in the following steps. One gets a lead on a possible design job. He discusses his proposal with a client. Usually embellishes his ability a little because he has no idea what he does not know. He buys some tackle he thinks he needs to do the job. He spends a great deal of time making too many mistakes that later must be rectified. His work violates every known rule of design.

He spends a great deal of money without taking his baby steps to deepen his knowledge and learning what he will be doing to make a sign FIRST.

Sign making is not an occupation where someone can permit himself to act without paying the price. Too many others will suffer for this false start. As long as the sign panel holds the mysteries, as long as he does not understand the sequence of designs, as long as he does not realize the relationship between lettering, paint, color and layout rules his payoff will never be anything but as an also ran.

It is not wise to approach sign making this way. From whence do these signmakers with their skills rooted in the unknown appear? They appear from self envisioning of producing a nice income working at home and making a piece of work that will let them stand out among their friends and family as having a skill no one else posseses.

In reality this unskilled wandered into uncharted waters of idealism. In the hands of the unskilled the skilled signmaker has to endure the torment and stress and endure the diminished reputation wrought upon the trade by the unskilled idealog.

Only the one who studied, read and practiced signmaking skills and software knows how to avoid the beginners errors. Only a previously trained technician is capable of working within the generally accepted rules of design and assembly. Doing so he builds his trade and the industry. All this makes a successful business and a happy sign maker.

After a period of proper study the beginner steps out and produces a fine product. He will post and let others observe his work and take suggestions.

One day the beginner will have the skill and ability to be called a signmaker. He can look at a design in progress and know instantly what needs to be changed, tweaked, and dismissed. Then he can go out and sell his work that looks professional while he acts as a professional. At that time all those who know what a good panel looks like will stand and admire the great improvement this person has accomplished.

Your order of operation.
Go to Youtube.
Learn your design software
Learn the rules of kerning and layout.
learn paint, and substrates and other media.

Come here. Post designs, Take advice and act on it.
Get good enough. It will only take a few months
Then one will be a Sign Maker.

Solego

I do appreciate the time and effort you took to exercise your literary skills. Would you be willing to opine regarding the question stated above?