• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Rider Suggestions - Need Help

OlgaTudor

Pat: because I loose alot of business by not being able to provide that rider. I know that this sounds stupid but that's what the situation is. So I have to manage and provide those in a way or another.

RebeckaR

Another option that maybe you haven't considered:
You have the software to produce your own layouts. You might get a much faster turnaround by emailing your files to a sign company, having them cut and mask the vinyl for you then applying it to the coro yourself.
I have a client who's been doing this for years. We have very little time involved in producing what she needs and we can turn it around very quickly. You may have to shop around, but I think you can find someone who would be willing to work with you that way.

grafixemporium

It might be cost effective to send your own art files to Signs365 and order a minimum of 10 double sided 18x24 coro signs that you could then cut into 6x24's yourself. The advantage here is you can do full color layouts and add some pop to your riders. At a cost of $50 per 10 18x24, you're looking at a total cost of $1.66 per double-sided 6x24 rider (plus shipping).

I think that's certainly more effective than investing thousands of dollars and time in equipment, tools and supplies just to cut vinyl for some basic riders.

iSign

It might be cost effective to send your own art files to Signs365...

I think that's certainly more effective than investing thousands of dollars and time in equipment, tools and supplies just to cut vinyl for some basic riders.

I actually agree with some of what grafixemporium has to say here.... but I do think it's hilarious that this is the same guy who posted this earlier:
...you guys have no right and no real business to tell... how to start a business. If he wants to put up $ ...to try and start a business... that's his challenge.
:Big Laugh

Regarding the signs365 idea, I'm amazed that they will do orders of 10, with different files, instead of requiring all 10 to be the same... but they will... so that is a pretty goood idea! (except I doubt the turnaround time will be any better)

jiarby

I am trying to imagine trying to make money selling just sign riders to realtors... especially in this business climate!

fastcut

I don't think they are trying to make money selling riders. I think they are trying to keep their current paying customers happy and coming back. Nothing wrong with that. I would spend the bare minimum if that's all you have in store for the equipment. A rider is a rider. The kind of plotter you buy is not going to make it a better one. That's all in the material you use.

Billct2

If I were you I keep looking for a local shop.
You provide the file ready to print and apply to your own substrate.
I think you'll find someone.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome from PA………..

Sounds like you have a lot on your plate. If you think a sign shop is going to give you a hassle for a small order like this…. how do you think it will be when you’re doing it for yourself ?? Although it sounds easy and shouldn’t cost a lot and you say you aren’t going to compete with the local sign companies…. then why enter into such an adventure to help your customers that’s going to cost you quite a bit up front and won’t pay for itself for a year or two at least… especially if you think $12.00 each is too much ??

No Olga…. it sounds very much like you want to enter into the sign industry and you will HAVE to compete with the very sign shops that already do this for a living and know what they’re doing. Going into the sign business because of getting bad service or bad prices is one thing, if you have desire to do good….. but your attitude doesn’t say the same thing. Anyway, one would wonder how two or three shops screwed so much up. If everything was their fault, you might have a chance of passing them and putting out a better product, but you’d need to have a better approach than the current one you’re sporting.

If you wanna get into this field….. I invite you to please step up and say so…… if not, find a professional local shop to produce this for you and do the files for them. Then no one can complain anymore.

Last thing…. again,if you do enter into this trade…. don’t ever think a day or two is waiting too long. Believe it or not, you might end up getting three customers and not getting everything out in 24 hours all the time. Someone has to be first and someone has to be last and guess who comes last…. the last guy in the door…. not the little paying jobs.

Cadmn

Olga you will waste more time than you know & it won't be profitible Having been Photog Long before my signs You take pics for money, if your in the shop making $10 signs instead of taking pics your loosing money. you will never be all things, to all people. So why try your not loosing money by not supplying some thing you don't do. Hope this made sense.

GoodPeopleFlags

I may be mistaken but I don't think any vendors will sell to you without a business license. But then again, I guess any old business license will do - doesn't have to be signs.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I may be mistaken but I don't think any vendors will sell to you without a business license. But then again, I guess any old business license will do - doesn't have to be signs.

I highly doubt that would ever be a problem. Over the years, I can't remember how many customers brought in their own vinyl and asked us to cut it. Then after talking to them and asking them point-blank where they got it.... they mentioned several of the vendors we buy from.... some of them are even members on this site. Now, that isn't too bad.... selling product to our customers, but they also pay the same price we pay, so it's rather easy to get anything you want from anyone without proving you're a legit business. :banghead:

Kottwitz-Graphics

Is not that they mess it all the time. Dont want to fill up the mass complaint...

Prices they charged me were between $12 - 20 each sign.

The biggest problem was that they will never do them instantly, as my customers wants them, takes them 2-3 days to have them ready. then I pick them up. Two times, they were mistaken, 2 different companies. They replaced them free, but induced another 1 day delay...

If I do them myself, I get out of the delay loop completely (and also save some money/piece)

I'll would do like 20-30 these kind of signs a week.

What I am reading into the picture (and I may be wrong) but you want to walk into a shop (that may be busy) with a $240 - $360 order, and you want to walk out with them in a mater of 30 min (?).

I'm sorry, but most shops don't have turn around time that quick. You should expect a 2 - 3 day turn around (or a day at the least).

I don't think you really understand the time it takes to produce signs.

I can uderstand the sign company making a mistake, they happen, and they should replace them for free if the mistake was thiers.

You gotta remember, you're not shopping at Walmart. Sign shops don't have stuff on their shelves waiting for someone to come in and pick them off, and take them. Each one is produced per order. I take it each one is different info, so that is going to take a little longer.

Bill Modzel

Olga,
Spend a couple thousand on a plotter and another hundred or so on your substrate and vinyl. Learn to cut, weed, premask and apply vinyl and sell the riders to your customer for $15 each.
You will possibly make $2.50 a piece in profit, and that's if you don't count your actual time involved. If you really want a hobby, you just may have it here.

fastcut

Hey I'm no fool! I'm shopping for real estate and that's the business my BROTHER is in...he can have ANY sign he wants at cost!