Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sign Shop break-in

Discussion in 'Roland' started by MikesSigns, Jul 9, 2011.

1. MikesSigns

MikesSigns Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Barrington, NH
    What a day.
    Arrive at mobile sign shop and find graphics PC and monitor stolen. Need to replace. My 5 yr old sp300v versacamm was running xp. All new computers and laptops now with win 7. With new firmware and roland updates what issues are you having with versaworks and windows 7. I also use use illi and corel .

Any suggestions or red flags on what pc or laptop is working best for you would be appreciated.....shopping tomorrow.

Mike

Tags:
  2. mark-s

mark-s Active Member

May 11, 2005
    SoCal
    Sorry to hear about the break in.
    mark-s

3. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    I'd check pawn shops in your area.

I bought a dell laptop running XP today for $100

(plus ask them if anything came in matching the description of your stolen property)

4. phototec

phototec Very Active Member

May 23, 2008
    Belton
  5. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
  6. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    I thought the title of this post implied the amount of time required to get comfortable running a sign shop.....sheesh!

JB

7. m_s_p

m_s_p Member

Sep 7, 2010
    We run versaworks on a W7 box and I have had no problems with VW. I've had more OS problems, but I'm a Mac guy so I don't keep up on proper update procedures and stuff.

8. jiarby

jiarby Major Contributor

Feb 11, 2007
    You can pick up a Dell GX620 for less than $200 on craigslist. Buy 2 so you have a backup!

9. nwbee

nwbee New Member

Mar 11, 2010
    We run VW, Corel, Flexisign, and Illustrator on 2 computers with windows 7 with absolutly no issues. We had problems with Vista and had to go back to XP but Windows 7 is fine for us.

10. schpoe

schpoe New Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Geeks .com has some really great buys on refurbished computers. They have just about anything could ever want.

11. nwbee

nwbee New Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Since it looks like it was your design and rip/print computer, I would get a decent one. You can go refurbished but might as well get something kind of new at least. Not sure if you bought it new but do you really want to run a $12,000 machine on a old $200 computer? You can get something really nice for like $400 in a desktop. Just my 2 cents.

12. Kevin-shopVOX

Kevin-shopVOX Active Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Maine
    No problems with windows 7 in my shop with versa or the adobe creative suite 5. 7 is a improvement over xp and especially vista. If it were me I'd get a new machine if you could. Check newegg.com as they have decent prices. Sorry to hear about the break in. Thieves are one of the worst kind.

13. westpointsigns

westpointsigns Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Sorry to hear about your break in, that really sucks.

Have you considered running an iMac? I run all my printers and cutters on it. I too have to run everything in XP, and the new iMacs will run a dedicated Windows partition called Bootcamp.

I also run the same copy of Windows in in the Apple side of things using Parallels, but only do design work on the Flexi in there. I just never set up the printers and cutters on the mac side.

14. MikesSigns

MikesSigns Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Barrington, NH
    Thanks for the input. Lots of great ideas. Got verrsacamm running on a dell laptop today and designing on another pc. Looking at an ASUS at the moment, @ $1200. All the bells and whistles, designed for gamers but will be plenty fast to run everything I need.

Mike

It's ok JB, after 5 years , I'm still breaking in. :)

15. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    They will be back.

16. CheapVehicleWrap

CheapVehicleWrap Very Active Member

Dec 2, 2008

This IS a valid concern.

17. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    running windows 7 through all designing & ripping (separate stations)

if they got away with it one time they will do it again, have you thought of alarm system and/or bars over windows doors? also run PC security cables to workstations

18. jdoug5170

jdoug5170 Member

Jan 16, 2010

Mike, you got my attention with "mobile sign shop". Are you actually running a SP300 in a vehicle/trailer? I would love to travel to events with mine but have been afraid to do so.

Doug

19. jimbug72

jimbug72 Member

Oct 25, 2008
    South Carolina
    Also remember a lot of the new cpu's rolling out now are 64 bit. If you're running any software not designed to run on 64 bit chips will likely be an issue.

20. SignBurst PCs

SignBurst PCs Very Active Member

I am sorry to hear about the theft. If there is anything that I can do to help, please let me know. I can help with a lot of the computer related questions, even if you are not a customer of ours. I would me more than happy to help any way I can and as they say in the commercials, "no purchase necessary".