• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

signlab switch to Ai for big wraps..good?

carstuff

Hi,
Currently using signlab 8 print and cut, in an XP windows operating system for complex wraps, and looking for a better program and have some Qs. My issue: With SL8, once a wrap is laid out with aurora fills, some fades or chrome from alienskin eyecandy...etc, the program struggles to do functions.

It can take 10+ mins to open or save. If you want to move a large pile of components making up the design in the work area, once you select it with the mouse, you sit there for several mins holding down the button until the program has grabbed it all, then you can move it. If you zoom in or out, you can watch the parts of the design reappear on the screen one-by-one until all are present. Its all time consuming, and can hours during the layout of a complex design. Once the design is assembled, the program will RIP it...no problem, and send it to the Mutoh printer quickly.

I am not bashing signlab, and have used their programs for 20+ years cutting vinyl, upgrading several times over the years, but printing large files seems beyond the program's ability. I talked with a guy that uses AI, and another that uses photoshop, and they do not have any of the issues I encounter.

Would like to hear from a few people with experience using adobe, so I can make an informed decision.

Techman

upgrade to a win7 machine with at least an I7 2600 k chip and 8 gigs of ram. You will be so happy. That is unless signlab charges for an upgraded or a new dongle driver.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Move to the new version of signlab which supports 64bit operation and upgrade your machine to 64bit with lots of memory, a ssd and a i7 sandybridge(e) processor for optimal results.

slipperyfrog

Move to the new version of signlab which supports 64bit operation and upgrade your machine to 64bit with lots of memory, a ssd and a i7 sandybridge(e) processor for optimal results.

We are on version 9. Better cpu processors, memory, and an ssd has made all the difference on our Signlab work. Our process time is virtually instant. Working with textures and fills is no big deal now. Changing from XP to Win 7 made a difference as well.

carstuff

Thanks for all the replys. My computer is only 1 year old and custom built, but with a 32bit Xp system. Upgrading sounds like it will solve most of my issues. My business is mostly race cars (200+ yearly), so this is my super busy season, can not do any changes until late summer.

I do enjoy my signlab program, and dreaded the learning curve of switching programs. I will contact cadlink about the 64bit upgrade, and talk to my PC guy. One issue will be all of my other programs installed are for the older XP...things change, so maybe its time to upgrade.
thanks

lexsigns

We are on version 9. Better cpu processors, memory, and an ssd has made all the difference on our Signlab work. Our process time is virtually instant. Working with textures and fills is no big deal now. Changing from XP to Win 7 made a difference as well.
here too! MUCH better than version8!! I dont like adobe because it wont work in full size like SL-