• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Signlab VS Illustrator

player

I own Signlab 9 print cut, but I don't know how to use it. Should I learn SL or Illustrator as my go to vector program? I also own Corel X5.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you are building your own files Corel is a good choice.
If you primarily take clients files and need to edit them prior to printing or cutting - Illustrator is the better choice.
Don't know anything about Signlab.

wayne k
guam usa

phototec

If you are building your own files Corel is a good choice.
If you primarily take clients files and need to edit them prior to printing or cutting - Illustrator is the better choice.
Don't know anything about Signlab.

wayne k
guam usa

I agree with Wayne's statement above, I like a Illustrator and have been using it since 1988. You will find a lot of debate on here about which design software is better, but I stated in the design side of graphics before I got into the SIGN business, and the industry standard for me as a designer at Texas Instruments, Dell computers, and the State of Texas was Illustrator. Illustrator has a steep learning curve, but when you lean it, you can do some awesome design work. And I guess you can say that about Corel also.

I think for the folks who where NOT in the design end of graphics, but more focused on signs, SL was created to fit what was needed for the sign industry and allow people to create designs. I have a friend who NEVER work as a designer, he started making T-shirts in his garage and then later signs, SL has worked well for him and helped him grow his sign business, he always said it is pretty easy, and Illy was hard for him to learn.

player

I have been playing with Signlab a bit. The sign shapes is a nice feature.

Can the settings section on the top left be undocked or floating?

OldPaint

SIGN-LAB is a enhanced COREL DRAW. if you use corel sign lab is an easy transition. it is geared more for "sign design" and has many great features .........better then corel or illy. in my 20 years of doing signs on computers, it all comes down to what youre the most PROFICIENT with. i have used SIGN-LAB, FLEXI, SIGN WIZARD, PRO CUT VINYL EXPRESS.......and corel is my comfort program.

JMPrinting

I've dabbled in a few, my choice is Corel. I use it for signs, wraps and lettering, business cards, logo design and screen printing

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
SIGN-LAB is a enhanced COREL DRAW. if you use corel sign lab is an easy transition. it is geared more for "sign design" and has many great features .........better then corel or illy. in my 20 years of doing signs on computers, it all comes down to what youre the most PROFICIENT with. i have used SIGN-LAB, FLEXI, SIGN WIZARD, PRO CUT VINYL EXPRESS.......and corel is my comfort program.
This is the nicest and easiest post to read YOU'VE EVER WRITTEN ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Fred is my online stepdad.

Why do you come here? Go learn how to sell. Stop complaining and blaming manufacturers for your inabilities.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
As an observation, you have been on Signs101 for 9 years,
what have you been using the whole time?

Do you design more than signs?

Are you self taught in design software?

If it's Signlab, and you have not learned it yet, I would
think any software where you can get online or classroom
setting would be best. I'm thinking Illustrator (or Corel) have
an edge on Signlab (or any sign software for that matter)

I started as a traditional graphic designer (pre-computer)
and taught myself software, but watching fellow designers
fly through Illustrator (or Corel) can speed up your skills very
fast.

We use Illustrator because we just design and only design... it
works with any format we need, it will easily import into any
sign software, it also works better with our workflow as we also use
Photoshop and InDesign.

OldPaint

player......its just your Canadian sensitivity))))) heheheheheheehehe HD........ is the proverbial "hemorrhoid" WE all will encounter from time to time...........without them......... it makes it harder to distinguish intelligence from idiocy))))))))

noiz

I've been using Signlab since it was a DOS program. :omg:
It's great for some things but every once in awhile you'll go...damn, I wish it would___________. But I bet every program has this issue.

player

I've been using Signlab since it was a DOS program. :omg:
It's great for some things but every once in awhile you'll go...damn, I wish it would___________. But I bet every program has this issue.

Can you undock the control panel that is at the top left that changes depending upon the feature selected?

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
+1 for Corel Draw, and 15 is a good version, I'm on 16 now and don't like it as much.

I used CD for many years, this was one of my big beefs with it. New versions were always very unpredictable, and it took a couple service packs to get it stable. We switched to Adobe a few years ago and I can't imagine going back. I'm not saying illy is perfect. Consider the benefit of using the same design software that almost every design or marketing firm uses. Good luck asking for CD format, and transferring files between the two programs is not pretty. In our experience, ripping files has gone much smoother too.

gabagoo

I am a Signlab user since it was DOS as well... I have Flexi and Gerber Omega as well.

If I were to start all over again I would definitely learn Illy and Signlab so that I had the best of what each offers me.

So many files we get are designed in Illustrator and Signlab can't handle many of the files the way they were created, forcing me to have the designer here open them in Illustrator and saving them as an eps file that I can open properly. Masking and clipping paths seem to make Signlab completely useless with many files.