• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Signs of needing a new printhead or servicing?

Firemalt

Could someone help me out here? I purchased a used Roland sp300v about a month ago, and since the quality of print has started to decline with each passing day. I'm not sure when or even if the machine has ever been serviced by a Roland tech. Today, I did a manual cleaning, and prior to taking this picture I also did 2 "cleanings".

Thanks for any help, suggestions, or comments in advance!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 75

threeputt

That's quite a bit of drop-out on the Yellow/Magenta head. Do you have an earlier test print to compare it with, to see if it's truly getting worse?

As it is, my guess is that the head is damaged in those areas. But it could be simply that the nozzles are plugged up.

What you could try is manually cleaning them by the following method: And by the way, I'm not undertaking any responsibility for any damage that could result from this, but it's a method I've done myself.

Park the heads in the cleaning mode way to the left. Soak a soft cleaning swab in cleaning fluid. Using your index finger placed along the back of the swab press up (absolutely no side to side or back and forth movements) and down as if you were "pumping" the cleaning fluid into the head. Keep the swab well loaded with fluid. You may have to do this for 10 minutes or so. Press, hold a few seconds, then relax, press then relax.

Close everything back up and re-run the test. Compare it with your earlier test. If there's improvement, then continue the swab presses.

Be careful not to rub the heads, the idea is to press and pump those cleaning fluids into what may be clogged heads.

Anyway, try it at your own risk. If the head is indeed damaged you can't hurt it...it needs to be replaced. About $1000.00

Hope this helps.

Mike_Koval

I would also suggest replacing the cap top for the magenta and yellow head. It may be dried up or clogged. This is a cheap and easy thing to try and may be all you need to do.

Mr Gerbik

Definately replace the cap tops. There is some contamination in the yellow, this is caused by the cap top failing. I think new caps and med clean will get the nozzles back. At most may need to syringe ink thru cap.

DRamm76

Definitely replace the cap tops. Make sure your cap tops are also properly lined up with the heads as well so the ink is being pulled from the head properly.

You mentioned you bought it a month ago and cleaned it for the first time recently. How much use have you gotten out of it prior to these issues? Did the seller show you a test print before hand?

Firemalt

Thanks for the suggestions.

When I first got it, the test print looked great, typically a "cleaning" or two. I don't use the machine everyday, sometimes it goes as long as 3 or 4 days without printing something, but I have always left the sub-power on as suggested by the previous owner.

I've seen the prices for new printheads, so I am hoping that's not the case...

I will try the swab cleaning/soaking as suggested and will pick up some new cap tops on Monday.

airborneassault

If you are like I am, I start thinking about touching my print heads and I get sweaty and began convulsing out of control! All joking aside if you want to do a few extra steps there's a slightly easier way that involves parking the head.

If you take off the panel and expose the cap tops, then remove the small metal cover that shields the pump you'll find several ink lines down there. 2 come from the cap tops (1 cyan, 1 magenta eventually t-ing together) and run to the pump while 1 runs from the pump to the waste bottle. I pulled off the single line running from the cap tops to the pump and plugged it.

After it was plugged and I was sure it couldn't leak I poured both cap tops full of cleaning solution and ran the heads back to normal position so they sit parked on the cap tops submerged in cleaning solution (just like if it was idle and not printing). Several people on this board recommend doing this and probably have a much better explanation maybe even pictures but they also suggest letting sit for as long as 30 minutes. After that reassemble and see if any progress was made. I hope you are able to reclaim those test prints and no head is needed!!

-Nathan

cdiesel

That's a bad damper.

Probably not a bad idea to replace the cap tops.. how old is the machine? Is there any change at all after doing an auto clean?