• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Slowly Disappearing...

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I've noticed lately that when I come to signs101 I am only spending a few brief seconds to scan forum topics and checking for a PM. It must be a natural progression of being retired already and being on my fifth month of no participation in the sign business. In fact, since I'm done working at age 58, I consider my new career to be mastering fingerstyle guitar playing. I spend at least 2-3 hours a day with instructional material and dvd's trying to learn what is a very hard way to play guitar. The only benefits I have with my new job is the satisfaction of nailing down another song to where I can play it from memory. As my posts become less and less, don't think I've left. I spent my lifetime in this trade and all I'm doing with it now is the occasional hand painted sign and pinstriping motorcycles. This is still the best forum on the internet and I have many friends here... but the guitar forums are where I'm posting the most these days. Hope y'all have a profitable day.

Marlene

don't leave us! we are an easy to go off topic kind of crowd here so if sign talk isn't all that any more for you, we sure would be willing to chat about guitars.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

don't leave us! we are an easy to go off topic kind of crowd here so if sign talk isn't all that any more for you, we sure would be willing to chat about guitars.

That's good to hear Marlene. I joined a guitar forum specifically dedicated to the brand of guitar I have (Ovation) that after 75 posts I left after being wildly flamed for posting a few OT threads. I've never seen such an anal retentive group. You post about Ovations or not at all. I dug thru their archives and cited a number of examples of OT threads the mod/owner participated in. He has a PM from me right now asking him to explain that to me. I like discussing Ovations, but the occasional OT thread is how I feel people get to know each other better. Can't wait to see his explanation. I think it's a question of WHO the OP is... with respect to post count and how long they've been established. It was NEVER this hard to fit in here!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why don't you introduce Addie to your guitar buddies. That'll straighten out those string pluckers right quickly.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Why don't you introduce Addie to your guitar buddies. That'll straighten out those string pluckers right quickly.

Actually, here's quite a revolt going on at the site now. Long time members are mutinying and jumping ship at an incredible rate. The forum owner named a price for it I'm considering. I'd like to clear the gestappo out of it.

d fleming

Glad to see you have the time to devote to your music. Music and art just go hand in hand don't they? I have been eyeballin a Martin 12 string acoustic/electric at the local music store for a while, but my friend who is a luthier tells me my seagull he is currently working on for me is three times the guitar that particular Martin is. The price on the Martin is around $600.00 so that tells me it's definitely not the top of the mark as far as materials it is built from. But boy it sure plays nice. Be happy to get mine back after its 5,000 song checkup!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Actually, here's quite a revolt going on at the site now. Long time members are mutinying and jumping ship at an incredible rate. The forum owner named a price for it I'm considering. I'd like to clear the gestappo out of it.

So, does that mean if I went on that site and asked if anyone wanted to buy an old B3 w/leslie, I'd get booted off ??

OldPaint

i been looking on ebay/craiglist at ACCORDIONS latly)))))))) i had a nice rivolli when i took lessons.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah man..................

I remember seeing you on Sunday night on the..................

Where's Boppy & Sissy ??

Attachments

• OP accordian.jpg
    OP accordian.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 48

Dave Drane

All the best Arlo. You deserve your "me time" after what you have been through. Get in your RV with Melissa and your guitar and go wherever the wind blows you.. I'll PM you later on.

GypsyGraphics

I've noticed lately that when I come to signs101 I am only spending a few brief seconds to scan forum topics and checking for a PM. It must be a natural progression of being retired already and being on my fifth month of no participation in the sign business.

don't leave us! we are an easy to go off topic kind of crowd here so if sign talk isn't all that any more for you, we sure would be willing to chat about guitars...

That's good to hear Marlene. I joined a guitar forum specifically dedicated to the brand of guitar I have (Ovation) that after 75 posts I left after being wildly flamed for posting a few OT threads. ... I like discussing Ovations, but the occasional OT thread is how I feel people get to know each other better.
...It was NEVER this hard to fit in here!

what a nice thread this is!

it's nice that you let members know what you're up to Arlo, especially if you don't seem to be around much lately...
and even nicer to read Marlene's posts... very sweet.

s101 is a such great place

Arlo Kalon 2.0

For you Arlo.

Link

wow Colin... you blow my mind sometimes. I don't know if that's supposed to be an example of fingerstyle playing for me (not) or simply "Who'd A Thunk It" that I'm disappearing from here? Either way, I dig the guys music and collection of cheap guitars he's playing. Lots of pickers are using OLD cheap guitars anymore. The theory being that an aged top has "opened up" and sounds better than a new one - even very expensive new ones. Doesn't matter to me though... no acoustic guitar sounds as good as my 40th anniv Balladeer - widely regarded as the best guitar Ovation has ever produced. Here's a link to one of Texas' finest fingerpickers demonstrating the sound of my O. After listening to this one, click the "3 Videos" tab at the top of the movie screen and select the first video to hear. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aNUICiVmTA

Colin

I discovered Greg Brown about 20 years ago, and heard him live twice, and have a CD of his (remember CDs?). One of my favourite songs of his is "Speed Trap Boogie". Here is a live version of it, but very poor audio.

If anyone ever gets the chance to hear him live, do it!

Having always had an ear and natural ability for music, I bought a Seagull guitar about 13 years ago (my first) but found playing the guitar so completely unintuitive and difficult (especially trying to contort my fingers for many chords) that I lamentably quit and sold it. I played drums when I was in my teens, had a Tama Rock kit, but never went anywhere with it.

added: Wow, that Stan guy is awesome!!!