• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Small Shops - How many active jobs do you have and what is your lead time?

Doyle

Thanks Doug. You always have great advice. I talked to Jon on the phone early this year (January I think) and we discussed what he could do for me, and there is no doubt in my mind that he could help, but at the time, the money wasn't there, and now that it is, I keep telling myself that I don't have time to do it right now, but I am starting to realize that I will hurt myself even more by putting it off. I will do everything I can this week to get my jobs caught up and call Jon next week, I need his help.

In the meantime, I think I may try to find some more help with another production employee.

511graphix

I have no work at all, get calls,meeting setups, the last two were dead ends one was a highschool annive thing and they just wanted everything free. and the other was a new business that didnt have any signs. set a apontment to see them and when I got there.Wa La they already had signs. I need work.

Jillbeans

Doyle, I think it's fantastic that you are so busy! We should all be so lucky.

March-July I usually have at least 5 jobs a week working simultaneously. There are always quotes to email via my website (not everyone bites, but I have gotten a few nice jobs this year) I get at least one solid phone call a day and 2 tire-kickers. Most of my work is word-of-mouth. I also have several 10 to 15 year clients at this point.

I have a dry-erase "reminder" board that I usually remember to scribble on. If I have vinyl jobs of the same color, I cut them all at the same time. I will have a cut day, a weeding day, a sticking day. In the meantime when cutting I do design work. If painting, drying time can be occupied by wedding, doing paperwork, returning calls and emails.

Longest return times for me are usually 10 days max, but I can usually get a job done in 5-7 days based on supplies. Occasionally I will have a job on a back burner for as long as 18 months waiting for a client to make up their mind! But usually that is more like 3 weeks max, I used an extreme as an example.

If and when I get a big wall job or something requiring a big pattern, I call a dear friend who is a 35 year veteran of the sign trade. If and when I need a print (maybe once a year) I sub it out. I turn down jobs like backlit signs, over the street banners, or anything else I don't totally enjoy doing.
Love....Jill

ndemond

quoted from Isign:
This at-a-glance sheet showing all jobs is very helpful in remembering what there is to do. I've since added 3 colums on the left: Quote, Pending, and Job... so if it is pending artwork approval, material arrival, or payment of a deposit... then there is nothing for me to do, except remember that it is coming up as a future responsibility. If it is a quote, that is noted... if it is a job, the brief description should indicate what steps are first to be done. The other side of the sheet has three comums with the initials of me & my help. The boxes of who will be involved are checked off, so any of us can quickly scan this sheet for something to work on. The last thing on this sheet are under a "due date" column, which is usually just a 1, 2 or 3 indicating the level of priority... rarely do i commit to an exact due date.
This is what we do also.

Also said was it is better to have 1 5000.00 than 50 small jobs. Agreed. Our son has a hard time with that one as he wonders why we bid, example:
20 signs for a local park at 110% mark up and get under bid. You just do not need the busy work when more profitable and less labor intensive work is more desirable. ( If they take your high bid):thumb:All the better.

The lead time for custom sign work is 4-6 weeks and an install date is not given the weather and unforseen snags plays a big part.

At any one time 2 or 3 large monument signs are in progress. In the mean time installs and maintenance is keeping the us busy.

Coro's, banners and 4 x 8 are in and out the door in 3-4 days. And paid that day of delivery as that is the cash flow that keeps things moving till the larger jobs are finished and paid.

3dsignco

A lot of good answers and comments here.
We hover around 30 to 40 Jobs at a time but like many of you they are small jobs Real estate, Banners ect.. What I ended up doing was breaking the shop into 2 Sections/Divisions if you like.
My wife and son take care of all the repeat clients and Bread and Butter work, That allows my employee and myself to work on the larger, More time consuming work. After setting the shop up this way I have seen far more production and the bank account steadily grow and we are now actually working less. My wife, Son and employee work 40 hours plus or minus and I keep it around 50 to 60 and I am always off Sunday and I keep Saturdays for appointment only Jobs, just some catch up or personal things I want to do in the shop .

I finally feel that "I now run my business not my business running me" (Ragged)

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I have around 20 ongoing projects varying from 1-2 days to 6 months.

I usually have around 5-10 medium size sign design jobs (apartment, retail and business signage) at a single time usually lasting 3-6 months. Then I have 5-10 quickie sign design/drafting jobs that last a day or 2 to fill in my time. I have 5-10 ongoing print/identity/apparel design jobs at any given point usually lasting a few weeks to a few months. I have not had a basic quickie sign job in over 3 months.