• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Smalts help please

DSC

Thanks everyone for your help and input .. I wil take Jhills advice and do some in house testing with my current mix.

round man

Smiths cream is a blending agent intended for use with traditional sign painting alkyd enamels nd oil pigments such as fine artists colors in tubes. It more than likley is not compatible with the newer synthetic automotive type enamels and ureathanes. it usually is used about the consistancy of butter at room temperature in a gelatonous state,...one reason we used to call it camel snot in the old outdoor pictoral studios,...I wouldn't try to mix it with 2 part urethanes and or lacquers

Billct2

Everything I've read about Smiths is for use with enamels.
You might try asking on Mike Jackson's Letterheads forum.
I wouldn't trust it with Matthews even if it did dry, the amount of expansion/contraction
smalt goes thru could crack a poor combination of glue. Where did you get the purple smalt? Maybe they would have a suggestion.
Man all this smalt talk makes me want to do a nice dimensional sign with smalt. Did you see the last Signcraft where one shop did a patterned backgrounds then smalted it? really looked sweet. I want to try that.

DSC

Smiths cream is a blending agent intended for use with traditional sign painting alkyd enamels nd oil pigments such as fine artists colors in tubes. It more than likley is not compatible with the newer synthetic automotive type enamels and ureathanes. it usually is used about the consistancy of butter at room temperature in a gelatonous state,...one reason we used to call it camel snot in the old outdoor pictoral studios,...I wouldn't try to mix it with 2 part urethanes and or lacquers

THANK YOU. Not what I wanted to hear, but great info and advice. Now I have to find a customer that wants a sign painted pantone 688c.. !

DSC

Everything I've read about Smiths is for use with enamels.
You might try asking on Mike Jackson's Letterheads forum.
I wouldn't trust it with Matthews even if it did dry, the amount of expansion/contraction
smalt goes thru could crack a poor combination of glue. Where did you get the purple smalt? Maybe they would have a suggestion.
Man all this smalt talk makes me want to do a nice dimensional sign with smalt. Did you see the last Signcraft where one shop did a patterned backgrounds then smalted it? really looked sweet. I want to try that.

Thansk again Bill .. The place I am getting the smalts did not have an answer either, which is why I looked to signs 101.. Thanks again!

Jackpine

Ditto! That's the way. I use OneShot + Smith's Cream.
get smiths cream
Get some paint of the same color as the smalts
Add a little bit to tint the smiths cream
Lay it on thick
Pour in smalts
Leave set for a day
tip over to pour out excess osmolto
Done.

There a hundred ways to glue the smalts. But only a few really work well and easy.
Whatever you do. Do not paint letter wall or border walls all the way to the top.. Or you will picking smalts off the top edges for hours.

Last edited:

GB2

Old Member
Did you see the last Signcraft where one shop did a patterned backgrounds then smalted it? really looked sweet. I want to try that.

I was just looking at that and thinking the same thing? How do you think that was done...masked out or just careful application of cream and smalts?

By the way...who's got a good source of Smith's Cream and Smalts?

Marlene

that purple sign with the swirls is cool.

I haven't bought any in years as I bought big bags of it and enough Smiths Cream to last a life time but I got mine from Esoteric Sign Supply. I'm not sure if they are still in business as I think the owner passed away years ago

DSC

Thanks everyone for your help.. here is the result..

Screen shot 2013-05-28 at 12.47.55 PM.png

Marlene

you need to post some better pixs as that looks awesome! the background smalt looks to be purple, is that the color? it came out looking great

Billct2

Nice, smalts looks like it came out great. Thanks for the follow up.
(one critique, the logo is too low, should have more space below than above)

Keith Jenicek

Wow. Just discovered this thread with so much disinformation....

We have both Smith's Cream & Smalts available to the sign industry on our website, so you could say we have the experience. Our supplier used to be Rick Glawson of Esoteric Signs as well. However, after his passing, his shop closed, leaving one source with limited supplies. This has been quite an endevor for us, as we are keeping this tradition available and alive!

First, Smith's Cream is not the binding agent for smalts. Smith's Cream, is actually the agent that allows a longer drying time for the enamel...the enamel is the binder. The Cream is colorless and oil based, so it must be mixed with enamel that will match the color of the smalt that is to be applied. Smith's Cream also allows for a thick "bed", applied liberally, for the smalt to lie in and adhere. I have heard of using epoxy for this procedure, but have yet to use this method myself. If you have used this method, please share so we can pass along this knowledge.

Typically we apply the smalts to our dimensional signs. This smalt is "fine" and is roughly 1/8" in size. When routing the sign, all elements that will not be smalted will have a 1/8" raised outline from the smalted area. This allows for the Smith's Cream and enamel mixture, 50/50, to be applied to the background only. As mentioned, anywhere the binder is applied, smalts will adhere to. This includes the returns on all of the raised elements, hense the 1/8" x 1/8" outlines.

Hope this helps all with future projects!!
Best to all,
Keith Jenicek
Artisan Signs

paul luszcz

Because smalt is not available in PMS 688C, isn't it likely that the smalt was applied first and then painted? Wouldn't this work with Matthews?

Keith Jenicek

Could be...however, I don't see any advantage to painting smalts. Some of the reflective qualities would be lost when painted. If you have to match the paint color exactly, I would suggest using HDU and sandblasting. This will leave a pebble effect for the background, similar to smalt. Then paint using a gloss paint according to your client's specifications. Smalts is not cheap and would, in my opinion, be an unecessary expense.

Keith Jenicek

Sorry, I did not mention that Smith's Cream is now manufactured by 1-Shot, so it is definately compatible with their lettering enamels.