• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Smart Designer X3

jessew1987

Has anyone heard of or use this product? (http://www.smartdesigns.com/html/software/sd.htm) From what I read, it's a addon to Corel Draw enabling printing/cutting directly from inside Corel. I know SignTools is the same idea, but only does cutting. I'm thinking that if it works well, I can cut out Flexi from the process all together. The X4 version is apparently done and just in the packaging stages. I emailed them asking for a trial version of their X4 version with no response. Anyone know how well this works?

tintgirl2000

love it

I started with SD and love it. I as well don't know of many people that use it. They have great products and I think I have almost all of their stuff. I would love to go to their training program. I would recommend it. I have a Summa D60 and a dc4sx. What I also love is that I can cut or print straight from Corel (SD) to either machine from a cdr file.

Techman

Its just another program. but they add on a bunch of clips to make it look like a deal. Those clips are not all that good.

They call Corel Draw a desk top publishing program. IT isn't a desk top publishing. IT is a vector art program.

They say cocut is an add on this package.. Sorry Cocut is NOT an addon option to this package.

They claim it can automate many basic functions. I would say this automation keeps a user from becoming proficient in corel. In fact they claim their package can do many things that corel already does. IF you lean them for yourself you will become a much better corel user on your own.

you will love Cocut and corel draw which i feel is a much better package.

Cocut can do anything the other one does.
http://cocut.com/index.dml

Try the 30 day trial and see just how good it really is.

jessew1987

Cocut looks awesome. I wasn't interested in all the SD features, so Cocut might be just the program I need. I'll take your advice and download a trial version and see how it works.

Thanks!

jessew1987

I don't know if Cocut is the program I'm looking for. After doing a bit of research, I see that Cocut isn't a far cry from other sign software in terms of being integrated with Corel. The only positive is that it exports and imports into Cocut from Corel easier, but I have already have my exports macro'd, so It's not that much of a jump. I'm not looking for a separate program, but adding functionality to Corel Draw. So I'm still looking into SD. If anyone has more info about the kind of thing I'm looking for, I'd love to hear it.

Techman

I see that Cocut isn't a far cry from other sign software in terms of being integrated with Corel. The only positive is that it exports and imports into Cocut from Corel easier,

HUH?

There is no import / export into cocut for cutting. All you do is design and then click the cut icon. It brings up the cut dialog and you select what color from the design you want cut, how many,, cut pressure, material size etc.. This and a host of other goodies that I find very useful are all within corel or the cocut cut window..

Cocut is a plugin for corel. Actually it was part of corel starting with version 6. then taken back out with version 7.. Cocut is NOT a bridge like some will have you think. There is no need to import or export anything.

Cocut works completely within corel and is fully integrated with corel. I spent many hours years ago testing what proggy would work the best. After a few weeks it was obvious that Cocut is superior to all the rest.

Then when looking at the tech support there is only a very few request for help. Many of which are simply operator errors. Plus working with Suma gives you some of the very best customer service you could want. Not like the other guy who hangs up on people when they do not fall for the high pressure buy it now sales tactics.

Techman

IVe been using this for years. Get the trial and see for yourself.

Listen to noone but your own personal experience. Of course those with a vested interest will slant their opinions. The terminology in that video is a little misleading. Next, that video makes i way to complicated looking. Actually he is trying to give a wide overview of all the goodies it has. IT is a very comprehensive as it shows in that video. But you are not required to operate it like that.

No need to reinvent the wheel. I spent hours testing and listening to the hype of all of them. The only one that didn't have any hype was cocut pro. I tested it. Liked it. It saved me money. And I did not have to pay for any minor updates. Not one cent.

I don't have more than $400 bux in cocut pro including all the updates. Plus it operates in 4 additional software packages. What more could any one ask for?

We use SDX3 for a variety of things. What excatly are you looking to do with it? I use the program to design for vinyl cutout (both for heat and sign(and I cut directly from X3)), vector artwork for the auto-digitizing software for our embroidery machine and then for the artwork manipulation and creation for our DTG machine. I like the software for many reasons. I have had the software for almost 2 years now. The only real flaw in my opinion is that you have 2 programs running at the same time (verified by them at the Baltimore show this past weekend)and if I am working with the program for an extended period of time, it tends to freeze up. I went and saw the new SDX4 version. Much nicer. It acts as more of a plug in than a piggyback program. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I will get you my number. I should be getting SDX4 within the next 2 weeks. I am looking forward to using it.