Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

smartcar wrap

Discussion in 'Vehicle Wraps' started by abadsvt, Apr 14, 2011.

1. abadsvt

abadsvt Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Hi everyone! I have a customer who owns a smartcar (those little cars. I think there electric.) and he want's it wrapped. I was wondering if you guys charge the same square ft price still even though it will require much less than normal sqft to be worth your time? That make sence? Almost a mininum price kind of thing. Also are those cars hard to wrap since they are so small? I have yet to wrap one of those. Any help would be great. Thanks

Josh

Tags:
  2. threeputt

threeputt Very Active Member

Mar 10, 2006
    washington state
    We don't work up a sq. ft. price when wrapping.

Doesn't make sense to me. As you yourself have alluded, much of the cost of wrapping a vehicle has more to do with the degree of difficulty of the wrap.

They're small but curvy.

The attached file shows how I proposed a wrap for a company with (2) of these smart cars.

They ended up going for simple lettering, which we printed and cut on our Roland.

Since they bought a red car and a white car, and the door skins are changeable panels, he swapped out the two and we ended up with red and white cars.

I thought they came out okay, but was disappointed we didn't get to wrap these two cars.

Attached Files:

3. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    i would agree you have to charge based on the dificulty of the wrap
    i did a job on some smart cars just a 9" stripe around it with some other cut lettering but the stripe around the front fenders and grill/nose took about 3 hours it was nuts
    (granted you have to also take into account i am not as experienced as most of you wrappers, not a big call at our office but those curves are a killer)

4. turbo

turbo New Member

Oct 12, 2010
    don't be fooled be the size. I have done 10 or so Smart cars complete wraps. 90% of the car is a breeze probably 3 hours but if you are wrapping the front and rear fenders factor in at least 5 more hours. I would say out of any wrap I have installed, Smart car is the hardest!!!

5. FS-Keith

FS-Keith Active Member

Dec 4, 2010
    pennsylvania
    we installed a few, front and rear bumpers are a pia

img1823f.jpg

img1666f.jpg

Offsite pics replaced. Please observe our rules on photo posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2011
  6. MikeSTK

MikeSTK Dawns Vinyl Designs

Feb 23, 2011
    Weatherly, Pa
    You're not getting to skip any steps in the process because it's smaller. I suppose the natural default thought process would be smaller = cheaper.

If you relate it to any other application process volume decreases the sq/ft price. Consiering this is a small volume project I would think the sq/ft price increases simply because you are going to work harder for each sq/ft you apply.

The same price if not higher than a "normal size" car.

IMO

7. Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps Kentucky Wraps

Mar 6, 2009
    Bluegrass
    Actually...You certainly CAN use sq.ft. to base pricing on. But the amount per sq.ft. changes per vehicle. These are just sample prices: a box truck or trailer is $8 per sq.ft. printed, laminated & Installed due to simplicity whereas a smart car is $14 per sq.ft. due to compount curves. Though you use less vinyl..the installation time/difficulty is increased. Your shop, your rules. Whatever makes sense to you. Just know your true overhead AS WELL as your true worth (value of your product). I did a fleet of 4 smart cars...in winter. I had to put up small tents in my huge warehouse with torpedo heaters running and spot lights to see. Fenders werent as bad as figuring the best way to do all the dang relief cuts around the tail lights.

Attached Files:

8. phototec

phototec Very Active Member

May 23, 2008
    Belton
    Looks like you did a real nice job!

Ok, the smart cars are $14 per sq.ft., what was your total cost per smart car? Because there were four, did you give any kind of volume price break or not?

:thankyou:

9. CheapVehicleWrap

CheapVehicleWrap Very Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Here's 1 I just did

They're not for everyone but not impossible. Got $32 big ones for this one. Yep, $320. Eat your heart out Mosh. Very Picky customer couldn't find a single flaw.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      46.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      54.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      65.8 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      42.3 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      46.9 KB
      Views:
  10. COOKY

COOKY Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Nice job. Don't get how you can do that for $320. Do you mean $3200. What material did u use?

11. phototec

May 23, 2008
    Belton
    Bump! :help

12. CheapVehicleWrap

Dec 2, 2008
    No prep, cheapest calendared vinyl I had on hand from years ago, no warranty, had kids do the install. It's all about cutting corners these days.

13. WrapperX

WrapperX Active Member

Dec 18, 2009
    $320? Really? That doesn't seem possible unless you paid those kids like minimum wage. And Calendered Vinyl? Now I AM calling Bull Sh#t! Sorry - wouldn't believe unless I seen it...

14. CheapVehicleWrap

Dec 2, 2008
    I.didn't pay them anything. Just let em use.my neices ps2 for a few hours.

15. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    BTW gullible written on the ceiling

16. MachServTech

MachServTech Very Active Member

Sep 19, 2008
    North Carolina
    Wrapper X you may have to lower your prices. How in the world are you going to compete against cheapvehiclewraps.com ?

17. phototec

May 23, 2008
    Belton
  18. WrapperX

WrapperX Active Member

Dec 18, 2009
    MachServ - you may be right - I know I wouldn't be doing it for $320 or a couple of hours on a PS2 :noway:

I just can't compete with that!

19. CheapVehicleWrap

Dec 2, 2008
    Its singular.... im still making money off my atari 2600 too

20. WrapperX

WrapperX Active Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Ahhh - yes the old 2600...it IS a classic.