• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

smartcar wrap

abadsvt

Hi everyone! I have a customer who owns a smartcar (those little cars. I think there electric.) and he want's it wrapped. I was wondering if you guys charge the same square ft price still even though it will require much less than normal sqft to be worth your time? That make sence? Almost a mininum price kind of thing. Also are those cars hard to wrap since they are so small? I have yet to wrap one of those. Any help would be great. Thanks

Josh

threeputt

We don't work up a sq. ft. price when wrapping.

Doesn't make sense to me. As you yourself have alluded, much of the cost of wrapping a vehicle has more to do with the degree of difficulty of the wrap.

They're small but curvy.

The attached file shows how I proposed a wrap for a company with (2) of these smart cars.

They ended up going for simple lettering, which we printed and cut on our Roland.

Since they bought a red car and a white car, and the door skins are changeable panels, he swapped out the two and we ended up with red and white cars.

I thought they came out okay, but was disappointed we didn't get to wrap these two cars.

Attachments

• proposed wrap for SPM.jpg
    proposed wrap for SPM.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 76
  • actual vehicle after lettering.jpg
    actual vehicle after lettering.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 83

petepaz

i would agree you have to charge based on the dificulty of the wrap
i did a job on some smart cars just a 9" stripe around it with some other cut lettering but the stripe around the front fenders and grill/nose took about 3 hours it was nuts
(granted you have to also take into account i am not as experienced as most of you wrappers, not a big call at our office but those curves are a killer)

turbo

don't be fooled be the size. I have done 10 or so Smart cars complete wraps. 90% of the car is a breeze probably 3 hours but if you are wrapping the front and rear fenders factor in at least 5 more hours. I would say out of any wrap I have installed, Smart car is the hardest!!!

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
You're not getting to skip any steps in the process because it's smaller. I suppose the natural default thought process would be smaller = cheaper.

If you relate it to any other application process volume decreases the sq/ft price. Consiering this is a small volume project I would think the sq/ft price increases simply because you are going to work harder for each sq/ft you apply.

The same price if not higher than a "normal size" car.

IMO

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Actually...You certainly CAN use sq.ft. to base pricing on. But the amount per sq.ft. changes per vehicle. These are just sample prices: a box truck or trailer is $8 per sq.ft. printed, laminated & Installed due to simplicity whereas a smart car is $14 per sq.ft. due to compount curves. Though you use less vinyl..the installation time/difficulty is increased. Your shop, your rules. Whatever makes sense to you. Just know your true overhead AS WELL as your true worth (value of your product). I did a fleet of 4 smart cars...in winter. I had to put up small tents in my huge warehouse with torpedo heaters running and spot lights to see. Fenders werent as bad as figuring the best way to do all the dang relief cuts around the tail lights.

Attachments

• smt1.jpg
    smt1.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 84
  • smt2.jpg
    smt2.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 96
  • smt3.jpg
    smt3.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 79

phototec

Actually...You certainly CAN use sq.ft. to base pricing on. But the amount per sq.ft. changes per vehicle. These are just sample prices: a box truck or trailer is $8 per sq.ft. printed, laminated & Installed due to simplicity whereas a smart car is $14 per sq.ft. due to compount curves. Though you use less vinyl..the installation time/difficulty is increased. Your shop, your rules. Whatever makes sense to you. Just know your true overhead AS WELL as your true worth (value of your product). I did a fleet of 4 smart cars...in winter. I had to put up small tents in my huge warehouse with torpedo heaters running and spot lights to see. Fenders werent as bad as figuring the best way to do all the dang relief cuts around the tail lights.

Looks like you did a real nice job!

Ok, the smart cars are $14 per sq.ft., what was your total cost per smart car? Because there were four, did you give any kind of volume price break or not?

:thankyou:

CheapVehicleWrap

Here's 1 I just did

They're not for everyone but not impossible. Got $32 big ones for this one. Yep, $320. Eat your heart out Mosh. Very Picky customer couldn't find a single flaw.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 103

CheapVehicleWrap

No prep, cheapest calendared vinyl I had on hand from years ago, no warranty, had kids do the install. It's all about cutting corners these days.

WrapperX

$320? Really? That doesn't seem possible unless you paid those kids like minimum wage. And Calendered Vinyl? Now I AM calling Bull Sh#t! Sorry - wouldn't believe unless I seen it...

MachServTech

Wrapper X you may have to lower your prices. How in the world are you going to compete against cheapvehiclewraps.com ?

WrapperX

MachServ - you may be right - I know I wouldn't be doing it for $320 or a couple of hours on a PS2 :noway:

I just can't compete with that!