• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

smoothest scrim banner?

JERHEMI

Hey guys & girls! I'm looking for a solvent printable smooth matte scrim banner preferably 10 or 13 oz. When I say "smooth" I mean smooth...the look and feel of it is smooth and you can't feel or see any scrims in the material. I would like to trim these to size without any hems allowing for a clean, crisp edge that doesn't show any scrim lines. Lastly, if the material is double-sided and curl free that would be excellent! These particular banners will be hanging in retail storefront glass windows with light shining on them. Any suggestions? Thanks!

parrott

We use Bantex blockout 13oz for our house banner. Feels almost like silk its so smooth. Should hang pretty flat and prints great.

JERHEMI

We use Bantex blockout 13oz for our house banner. Feels almost like silk its so smooth. Should hang pretty flat and prints great.

That's funny you mention that material! I'm sittting here looking at the Grimco catalog and looking at that exact material! I use the 18oz Bantex all the time and love it for long term outdoor banners, but it is overkill for the particular project I'm working on and it isn't smooth. I notice Bantex also has a 13 oz "curl free" material as well, do you have any experience with that? I'm curious if it is that much more better being almost twice the cost of the material you are recommending?

parrott

Never used the curl free, just the 13oz blockout. I couldn't imagine the curl free being much more than the blockout, but I don't have a catalog in front of me. Just glue hem the edges and it should lay nice and flat.

JERHEMI

Just glue hem the edges and it should lay nice and flat.

What do you mean by this? I've never heard of "gluing the hem". Are you referring to an 1" or 1.5" hem all the way around? I would like to trim to size without any hems and still have the banner lay flat.

boxerbay

it depends on your print. if you have a lot of ink especially darker colors you will need to use curl free so your edges dont curl.

parrott

Glue hem (1" all the way around) works well when you don't want the hem to be visible. It will help prevent any edges from curling.

Letterbox Mike

Contact Benjy at Trigon Imaging in Cincinnati, ask for the same stuff he sells me for retractable banners, it's a 13oz or 15oz smooth double-sided scrimless blockout vinyl, curl free. Glass smooth, satin finish, prints beautifully. I don't know what it's called or who makes it though, but it sounds like it would fit your needs.

signswi

Use a point of purchase / interior graphics no-curl film not a vinyl banner. Intellicoat Pos Pro 200+ or Feller's "PopUp" or the like.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
We use LG UltraSmooth 14oz. It's as smooth as paper -- in fact, haven't used paper in a few years -- once customers see the product and understand that for a very slight increase in cost over a high-end paper, they get waterproof, wrinkle-resistant and blockout, they always go for it.

It's reverse side is very nearly as smooth as well --almost to the point of being indistinguishable. I've used it a fair bit for double-sided banners.

Its also nice to be able to have a single stock item that can be used for small & large banners as well as posters.

JERHEMI

We use LG UltraSmooth 14oz. It's as smooth as paper -- in fact, haven't used paper in a few years -- once customers see the product and understand that for a very slight increase in cost over a high-end paper, they get waterproof, wrinkle-resistant and blockout, they always go for it.

It's reverse side is very nearly as smooth as well --almost to the point of being indistinguishable. I've used it a fair bit for double-sided banners.

Its also nice to be able to have a single stock item that can be used for small & large banners as well as posters.

Who is your supplier for this material?

HulkSmash

Contact Benjy at Trigon Imaging in Cincinnati, ask for the same stuff he sells me for retractable banners, it's a 13oz or 15oz smooth double-sided scrimless blockout vinyl, curl free. Glass smooth, satin finish, prints beautifully. I don't know what it's called or who makes it though, but it sounds like it would fit your needs.

Mike whenever we use 13oz banner... even the no curl.. it's usually too thick to roll up.. you have no issue with this?

petepaz

we are using super smooth block out banner from N. Glantz DIJB155499M. it's super smooth on both sides and it's a good price for 54" x 99'

JERHEMI

Thanks for all the repies guys! I really appreciate it! I can't decide what material to go with lol, but I'm happy to have numerous options rather than having no options!

Letterbox Mike

Mike whenever we use 13oz banner... even the no curl.. it's usually too thick to roll up.. you have no issue with this?

None whatsoever with the one we use. It's my vendor's house brand so like I said I don't know exactly what it is or who makes it, but it works great. We actually use the 15oz version in retractable stands, we've done more than 100 of them in the last year with this stuff and have never had a problem with it.

JERHEMI

This is the route I ended up going! Thanks Mike! I contacted Benjy and he sent me out a sample and it looks and feels like nice stuff so I ordered a roll today! What was really nice was Benjy must have been watching the tracking on my sample arriving because when I get into the office the next morning I have a voicemail waiting from him saying I should have received the sample and told me some details about the sample and to let him know how I like it! That was the first time in 10 years in business I ever received a phone call like that from a supplier! I like it! If this material I ordered ends up working out good Benjy can expect a lot more business from me!:thumb:

10sacer

I just got a sample of the Titan smooth banner from Creative Banner and its really nice. they'll send you 5 yards to play with

Letterbox Mike

This is the route I ended up going! Thanks Mike! I contacted Benjy and he sent me out a sample and it looks and feels like nice stuff so I ordered a roll today! What was really nice was Benjy must have been watching the tracking on my sample arriving because when I get into the office the next morning I have a voicemail waiting from him saying I should have received the sample and told me some details about the sample and to let him know how I like it! That was the first time in 10 years in business I ever received a phone call like that from a supplier! I like it! If this material I ordered ends up working out good Benjy can expect a lot more business from me!:thumb:

Awesome, glad he was able to help. It's nice stuff, we've been burning through it lately. Benjy's a god guy. They don't sell a lot of "mainstream" materials orbrands, but he can get some pretty oddball medias that I've had trouble sourcing elsewhere.