• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

So a guy brought me some Oracal 651 to wrap his car....

Desert_Signs

It was some kit he bought online and was trying to find someone to install it. Basically a full hood wrap, not just stripes. It was gloss black calendared Oracal 651.

I told him I was sorry, I wouldn't do it. It was the wrong material, it would never look right, and on a horizontal surface would have no warranty. I offered to do it in 1080 for a reasonable price, but he told me he'd already paid $200 for the stripes and couldn't afford to re-buy the vinyl. I told him if I were him, I would return the material as he got ripped off.

He got pissy and snarkily told me "I'll remember you not doing this for me next time I need signs!"

I said "I hope you do. And I hope you remember I was honest with you about the materials you brought me, and in a year when the vinyl is cracked, peeling, and damaging the paint on your brand new truck, you remember that saving a couple bucks was more important to you." He turned on his heels and literally peeled out of my parking lot. :ROFLMAO:

He was a real ***** about the whole thing. I tried explaining cast and calendared, horizontal vs. vertical, etc. He just kept going on and on that "Rand" (the company he bought it from - I've never heard of them?) would never ever sell substandard materials and they know what's best for vehicles, etc. OK, bud. Have fun with that!

Jburns

I think it ws the right decision. His attitude alone signaled problems down the road.
Black 651 for a hood, in Arizona???

SignosaurusRex

Proof once again... You get what you pay for.
651 seems to be pretty common in kits ordered online. It never ceases to amaze me as to how many so-called professionals claim that 651 is "Top of the Line" material. It must be only that they keep it on the "Top Shelf". :covereyes:

Bly

You could probably have been a bit more diplomatic.
I wouldn't have told him he got ripped off, maybe just said that's not a very long term solution and would have suggested a better quality product.
Just warn him about expected lifespan and either do it or not.
Sounds like he got offended which is probably not what you want to do to potential customers.

Desert_Signs

You could probably have been a bit more diplomatic.
I wouldn't have told him he got ripped off, maybe just said that's not a very long term solution and would have suggested a better quality product.
Just warn him about expected lifespan and either do it or not.
Sounds like he got offended which is probably not what you want to do to potential customers.

I was diplomatic, at the outset. He was being a **** from the word go, pretty much, and I was more "honest" than I'd usually be.

At first I was explaining to him that that material was not the right choice, explained why, explained what the right materials were, etc and that's when he started going off about how "Rand" knew what they were doing, would never sell material that wasn't perfect, etc etc. That's when I moved to the 'you got ripped off' portion of our discussion.

That, and sometimes customers need to hear the unvarnished truth, whether it runs them off or not.

Mainframe

No, I think you were way too nice! If he came into my shop i wouldn't install it even if it did work! I make and sell signs for a living! "Excuse me sir do you take your own eggs and bacon into a resuarant and have them cook them for you? Didn't think so!

Sorry dude see ya!

Christian @ 2CT Media

Don't you? :banghead:

We're not open weekends, but often work, if you know what I mean. But this actually happened yesterday morning.

Totally know what you mean... We have guys working all weekend for a project and for the next few months our fair clients are going to be busy so we will have 7 day weeks.

ams

Wow..... 651 for a wrap? Horrible idea. The reason the company is selling that is because it's dirt cheap. I wouldn't touch anything under the 970RA for a wrap.
As for the weekend work? Yeah I am open on Saturdays for 3 hours.

Bly

I was diplomatic, at the outset. He was being a **** from the word go, pretty much, and I was more "honest" than I'd usually be.

At first I was explaining to him that that material was not the right choice, explained why, explained what the right materials were, etc and that's when he started going off about how "Rand" knew what they were doing, would never sell material that wasn't perfect, etc etc. That's when I moved to the 'you got ripped off' portion of our discussion.

That, and sometimes customers need to hear the unvarnished truth, whether it runs them off or not.

I hear ya.
Most times I just tell people we don't install anything we don't supply, just to avoid this kind of thing.
Also sometimes accidents happen - then how do you reprint or re cut the job?

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I hear ya.
Most times I just tell people we don't install anything we don't supply, just to avoid this kind of thing.
Also sometimes accidents happen - then how do you reprint or re cut the job?

Absolutely this. We learned our lesson (again) on this one. Picky customer with a Mustang ordered a striping package from Ebay or something. After telling my CSR to turn down the job, she took it anyway and we installed. In the sun. With a crappy calendared vinyl. And there were a couple tiny blemishes afterwards (one I think was in the vinyl). I explained this is what happens sometimes with third party supplied graphics. "Well why can't you just recut that part that's bad?" WELL, as we stated before hand, we don't stock this vinyl, nor this color. Nor do I have the file to cut it anyway. After the whole runaround, he agreed to have us recreate the graphics, order our OWN vinyl, and install again. NEVER AGAIN will I install someone else's garbage.

reQ

I don't install something like that at all if it was bought on ebay etc. Different story if another company supplies graphics for a job lol.

What makes me smile, is that people think that buying materials is the most expensive part of the job & installations are easy. So by buying stuff of ebay they think the would save bazillion dollars even if they will pay a sign shop to install.

Always happens to me with tint jobs:

CUSTOMER: "How about i buy my own tint, how much its going to be?"
ME: "Around 25-35 dollars less"

Then i would explain that tinting is about skill first, and biggest expense is the install. Some people understand, some don't

decalman

I install other peoples garbage! Why not? It can't be sunny everyday. You take the good with the bad. I'm a business, and the client is live money. If I thought I could get the 651 to jump through the hoop, I'd take the job, If not, Then I pass.

\ :popcorn: