Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, how often does this happen to you...............................??

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Gino, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Guy calls and talks to someone here about needing banners... and in a hurry. Jeremy tells him all that's possible and what all we can do, if he acts quickly. So, the guy comes in and we talk.

I'd like 4 banners 5' x 12' and one banner 5' x 20'. He shows me the copy, which is really of no concern to me for price.
    Give him the price and he says, maybe he should think this through a little, before he rushes in.
    I thought you said you needed these for this weekend ??
    Yeah, I do, but til I make the pole mounts for the banners and weld the stuff together, I'm gonna have quite a bit wrapped up in this and I won't have enough to pay for the banners.
    Ohhhhhh..................... Well, let me know how I can help when you figure it out.
    Then he says, you came recommended to me by so-n-so..... [which happens to be a very large customer of ours] and he said you could help me with anything.
    Yeah. Right. Did he also tell you he pays dearly for all of his signs ??
    Okay, so why don't we just do a 'quickie' thing here and get you out of your jam..... money-wise and time-wise ??
    How 'bout we print these onto a 5' x 10' Cor-X sheet, cut them apart and you'll be out of this for about $475 ?? The sizes will be smaller, but it will still be seen from quite a distance.
    Can you do it for that ??
    Sure.

All layouts combined took me about 25 minutes to put together, send him a proof and be accepted.
    5' x 10' took about 30 seconds to rip, 9 minutes to print and a minute to cut them apart.
    Guy came in and was a dollar short after tax, so I told him to forget about it and he was on his way.

Job went from around $2,600 to $475 with less than 45 minutes of time and $20 of materials.

It's not always about an up-sell, but at least make money with whatever you do. :thumb:

Tags:
  2. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    Happens all the time. People have champagne taste on a beer budget.:beer

3. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    regardless of the amount of money you made a sale instead of losing one and you where able to help the customer out of a jam so he will use you again. win/win
    (although the way you worked it out the profit was pretty good %)

4. rparsons

rparsons Member

May 31, 2012
    Over here, over there
    Great job.

5. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    Have a customer that wanted a 4'x8 quilt printed on her window, after I told her $300 we ended up doing a 1'x2' on her door...$300 down to $40, she told me she thought a 4'x8' "stencil" would be only $40...uuuhh