• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

So, how often does this happen to you...............................??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Guy calls and talks to someone here about needing banners... and in a hurry. Jeremy tells him all that's possible and what all we can do, if he acts quickly. So, the guy comes in and we talk.

I'd like 4 banners 5' x 12' and one banner 5' x 20'. He shows me the copy, which is really of no concern to me for price.
Give him the price and he says, maybe he should think this through a little, before he rushes in.
I thought you said you needed these for this weekend ??
Yeah, I do, but til I make the pole mounts for the banners and weld the stuff together, I'm gonna have quite a bit wrapped up in this and I won't have enough to pay for the banners.
Ohhhhhh..................... Well, let me know how I can help when you figure it out.
Then he says, you came recommended to me by so-n-so..... [which happens to be a very large customer of ours] and he said you could help me with anything.
Yeah. Right. Did he also tell you he pays dearly for all of his signs ??
Okay, so why don't we just do a 'quickie' thing here and get you out of your jam..... money-wise and time-wise ??
How 'bout we print these onto a 5' x 10' Cor-X sheet, cut them apart and you'll be out of this for about $475 ?? The sizes will be smaller, but it will still be seen from quite a distance.
Can you do it for that ??
Sure.

All layouts combined took me about 25 minutes to put together, send him a proof and be accepted.
5' x 10' took about 30 seconds to rip, 9 minutes to print and a minute to cut them apart.
Guy came in and was a dollar short after tax, so I told him to forget about it and he was on his way.

Job went from around $2,600 to $475 with less than 45 minutes of time and $20 of materials.

It's not always about an up-sell, but at least make money with whatever you do. :thumb:

petepaz

regardless of the amount of money you made a sale instead of losing one and you where able to help the customer out of a jam so he will use you again. win/win
(although the way you worked it out the profit was pretty good %)

Mosh

People have champagne taste on a beer budget.

Have a customer that wanted a 4'x8 quilt printed on her window, after I told her $300 we ended up doing a 1'x2' on her door...$300 down to $40, she told me she thought a 4'x8' "stencil" would be only $40...uuuhh