• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

So is this as good as it gets?

FrankieTeardrop

I received a brand new GX24 from Roland to replace the refurb machine I had received earlier. Details archived here:

http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77456

This is the result of the on board self test I did before I connected it to my computer. Note the wavy/choppy cut lines. The conditions are: Speed 30 / Force 120 / Offset .25
material is Oracal 651 purple intermediate vinyl.

Is this just what I should expect from this machine? Am I just too picky? My 9 yr old, beat to Hell Summacut D620 cuts clean & sharp circles around this thing. What do I do now... If you have followed my last thread you'll know just how frustrating this has been. I am completely exhausted from this & feel bad for the hassle it's been for me & the guys at Roland.

Attachments

• DSCN3098.jpg
    DSCN3098.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCN3101.jpg
    DSCN3101.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN3103.jpg
    DSCN3103.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 85

signmeup

Dude! My Master plotter cuts better than that. Are you sure it's not software related?

Oops... self test. Never mind. Although... it might work fine in actual use.

jmb474

120 Force? I have a cx-24 and never need to run the force that high. Im usually running it around 90 with a new blade.

TheSellOut

Just out of curiosity...have you ever ran magnet sheet material through the machine?

Edited to say: I read your old post after this one and forgot this is a brand new machine.

TheSellOut

Sorry for your misfortune on these machines man...and "no" you are not being too picky.

130 does seem way too excessive for your force with a brand new blade.

I am sure you have checked this but, is your blade holder tightly secured in the machine? or does it have a little play?

TheSellOut

Since it has happened with both machines now...have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software?

FrankieTeardrop

I can't think of any other variables... I even had my voltage checked in my shop by an electrician. I haven't used it to cut a job yet so maybe it's just the internal test that's the problem. I'll run something & find out.

BobM

Never had your issues or had any kind of problem with my Rolands. I run my GX24 at 80 to 90 grams with a CleanCut blade and have never had the issues you are having. For $1,000 I'll sell you mine and you'll know for sure it worked before it came to you.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I haven't read your posts entirely, but I think it's time to either get your money back or get a totally different machine.

I'm glad to see you did this without bashing Roland, but enough is enough. If it wasn't working right out of the box and then they had the chance to work on it for a week, then it's time to start making demands.

Roland is very understandable in this area..... if you're being 100% fair. Simply write down all the facts, what you've done to date and what they've done and send them your pictures and explain that you need a quality machine within 72 hours. You don't want to be unreasonable, but this should not be acting in this manner at all and you have a business to run and chose their product to help you. So, how will they reimburse you ?? Monetarily or a good sound [tested] machine ??

FrankieTeardrop

Well, this machine was tested & the vinyl they tested it on was included & it was signed & dated by those who inspected it. The results are not what I would call quality cuts at all. There is obvious stitch cutting & the corners of all the cuts are lifted a little. Again, my d620 doesn't look like that all which is why I'm wondering if this is just what can be expected from this machine. I also did speak with one of the higher ups about it & was offered a 5 pack of blades for my troubles. I inquired about a new black print head for my sp-300 & never heard a thing about it until the local service tech called me when he was on his way to install my new print head to my surprise & I got real excited until I found out that I was still going to have to pay almost $600 for it plus $230 to get it installed. I don't have that money just lying around especially since I've been falling behind with my work due to all of this. The tech said he'd been emailing them all week about it but nobody ever contacted me in any way about it.

Bigdawg

Just Me
I feel your pain.

I just got off the phone with Roland tech support... they are really short handed and phone calls are the priority over everything else I was told - including ongoing support tickets. While the girl I'm dealing with now is doing her best - I am less than impressed with the support overall - I can't wait a week in between answers that I've already tried (and told them I did)...

Border

Ok, I did not read every post about your problem but skimmed through and see that you mentioned having to use really high pressure to get it to cut.

I wondering if it's possible that your blade depth is not enough and so you are actually forcing the blade holder down onto the vinyl surface. That seems like it sure would make it want to skip around and track funny.

Just a thought....dumbass. (Just kidding but couldn't resist)

This is all I can think of and I did not see it mentioned from what I read of this and the other thread.

CES020

I can't speak for the Roland, but I just sold a plotter, a chinese one and on the way to pick it up, they said "Oh, we must see it run", so I ran the self test and it looked like that. It was so horrible, I freaked out a little, since they were on the way.

I scrambled to download some trial software to drive it, plugged it in, ran it from the computer and it looks excellent. No choppy corners at all. So in my case, it was the self test included.

Might not be your case, but thought I'd throw that out there.

FrankieTeardrop

Well, the blade is set up the way Roland had it. I haven't changed anything except the speed which just altered the frequency of the "waves" in the cut. Maybe I am just a dumbass...

signmeup

It's either software or hardware. :)

If it's hardware I'd bet your machine has poor bearings on the feed rolls. Or your blade holder is crappy. You could try a new blade holder. Highly doubt it's anything hardware as you tried 2 machines with the same result.

If it's software my first guess would be to go into your cutting software's settings and see if you can up the number of steps per inch. (my money's on this)

Final thought... I can't see how this could be your problem but... I've had files that cut that way. No reason in the world for it they just did. I had to redraw the file to get it to work right.

Good luck.

OldPaint

120 GRAMS OF DOWN FORCE IS WAY TO MUCH...........if its a new blade.!!!!!! i told you that before on the other post. start trying it at 60, then 70, then 80...........now i think you screwed the blade.......on your 120 gram 1st try!!!