• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

So is this as good as it gets?

visualeyez

I'm not 100% about the "offset .25" thing? However you should be able to perfectly cut calendered vinyl with 70 grams of force. You probably have a blade with a busted tip being pushed down with way too much force at max speed and getting the speed wobbles, lol.

-Keith

Edit, second thought. Maybe the test file was programmed by some d-bag software engineer with a horrible CAD file from some other d-bag engineer with zero sign making knowledge or interest (thusly, nodes). Plug it in and send it some of your own vector data before you flip out.

Redwave Signs

I had GX and absolutely loved it. I would try decreasing the pressure, with a new blade I would set it at 70 as well. Maybe the pressure is making the blade wobble around on the circular cuts.

I regret selling the GX ....

Techman

too much pressure will cause drag on the vinyl and cause the motors to fight in moving the material.

125 is more like cutting reflective rather than regular vinyl..

Custom_Grafx

Are these machines getting couriered to you? or are you getting them from a shop? Does your local courier/postal service maybe throw things around and not look at "fragile" or "this way up" signs? Just a thought... way too strange a problem you're experiencing.

I'm this far from believing your machine/s are haunted.

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
Cuts

I think Oldpaint hit the nail on the head. Excessive force on the test cut ate the blade. (or the blade was damaged or faulty from the get go)

Start over with a fresh blade, set the depth, insure the holder is seated and start at 50g slowly working your way up in 10g increments.

I also agree to skip the test and run a job you know is good before ripping your hair out.

Alter the blade, settings and test cut in the equation and if it continues then panic. I would have to believe that is where a tech would start anyway.

signmeup

Something here sounds fishy to me. You buy a new plotter and have trouble with it so Roland offers you a refub as a replacement?!

Did you ever look for a setting for steps per inch? I notice people trying to help you but you don't respond to their suggestions(like the one I made) If I set my plotter to a low step per inch, I get exactly what you show in your pictures.

I'd love to hear what the Roland guys are saying. I'm finding it hard to believe they would send you out 3 machines that weren't right.

Also, if I set my plotter at 160 grams it would cut through the liner.

I'm also wondering how you're falling behind if your old Summa "cuts circles around this thing".

Tim Aucoin

I have to agree with the force being too high. I very rarely run above 60 or 70. I'd take the advice of trying a new blade and lowering your force. If problem still persists, discuss it with Roland!

FrankieTeardrop

If 120 grams is too much pressure than why did Roland send it to me like that?? Also, how could it be a hardware issue if it's a new machine, I started messing with all the settings & calibrations 2 machines ago. I'll fiddle with the pressure again though & just hope for the best. The steps per inch thing sounds promising & I'm going to try that when I get to the shop. My Summa has a different problem altogether & I currently can't do any detailed or smaller cuts with it. I primarily use it to cut blasting mask. It can be fixed but at the time I had a little extra money & figured I owed to myself to buy a new plotter anyway...

signage

If you do not want to beleive what every one is telling you that is fine. Your answer above is why I have not given you any more advice and time!

Now on you question why would they shipp it that way, well maybe they tested it cutting a heavy material before they sent it out! Or mabe they are just seeing if you know what you are doing. Latter and good luck!

signmeup

Never mind what Roland did. Set it to where at least 10 of us have suggested, just for giggles. Take a new 45 degree blade out the package and install it. If you drop it, get another one...
Set all driver settings to the proper value. Offset, steps per inch etc. (never mind what Roland did)

Report back when you're finished.

FrankieTeardrop

They tested it on 3 mil vinyl & sent the test print with it signed & dated. I wish I could take a pic of it & post but it's white vinyl on white backing & won't show up well. All the corners of the test cuts are rough & there is stitch cutting as well. I would have never passed it as satisfactory. I seriously doubt Roland is trying to trick me to see if I know what I'm doing by purposely setting the pressure too high. I try to respond to all the advice but most of it is repeat & I'm just tired & frustrated from all of this.

signmeup

Looks like you're on your own mate.

Google "trouble shooting". You may be able to find some advice on how to systematically resolve an issue. Follow the steps.

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
Not to be a smart a** but a "factory" force setting is like a "factory" seat adjustment in a car. Force setting might be the single biggest user setting there is.

Drop the 120g, and if this was tested and the blade was in place when it was delivered (????????), put in a new blade.

And how ws the 120g setting maintained when the power was off? I would think the default settings would revert back to 50g.

Starting to wonder.........

FrankieTeardrop

It was definitely set on 120 & I know what ya mean about factory settings. So I put in a new blade & holder & set it to 70 but it just barely cut through the vinyl so I kept trying & ended up at 90 when it would completely cut through the vinyl. It is a cleaner cut though but it does still have the stitch cut pattern on the backing paper?? I'm trying to find the step per inch setting. I can't find it on the GX24 so I assume it's in my prod mgr. I was told to completely bypass that to reduce the chance of any miscommunication.

buttons

Not to be a smart a** but a "factory" force setting is like a "factory" seat adjustment in a car. Force setting might be the single biggest user setting there is.

Drop the 120g, and if this was tested and the blade was in place when it was delivered (????????), put in a new blade.

And how ws the 120g setting maintained when the power was off? I would think the default settings would revert back to 50g.

Starting to wonder.........

Roland GX-24 factory default is either 120g or 150g of force... i can't recall which one.

FrankieTeardrop

Yep, I set it to the (half the thickness of a credit card) setting & went from there trying different ones. I just can't lose the stitch cutting result??

signmeup

It was definitely set on 120 & I know what ya mean about factory settings. So I put in a new blade & holder & set it to 70 but it just barely cut through the vinyl so I kept trying & ended up at 90 when it would completely cut through the vinyl. It is a cleaner cut though but it does still have the stitch cut pattern on the backing paper?? I'm trying to find the step per inch setting. I can't find it on the GX24 so I assume it's in my prod mgr. I was told to completely bypass that to reduce the chance of any miscommunication.

That's how it's supposed to work. The vinyl is designed to "tear" along the score line. If you are cutting the backing paper, you are using too high a cutting force. You want the cut to be just a micron or two shy of cutting all the way through the vinyl. Either way, it should not affect the smoothness of the cut.

If you are getting a "stitch" pattern it's probably either the solenoid that applies the downforce is faulty or your knife is not swiveling. Or a wonky cable.

I suppose it's possible to have a box full of bad brand new blades somehow.