• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

So it's been a while...Economy check?

SignManiac

Anyone else seeing things turning around in recent months? I'm balls to the wall busy with solid work for next several months here in Florida.

Just wondering how everyone else is fairing throughout the country or is it just me? Are you optimistic or skeptical still?

FatCat

Things have been steady since April. Still crankin, and tryin' to keep up. No complaints here other than not enough hours in the day. Hoping it stays this way well into the holidays.

Jillbeans

I don't have testicles but if I did they would be smashed to the wall.
Busy busy busy.
Although I haven't really slowed down since 2007.
Love....Jill

JimJenson

I have had a very strong first and what is turning out to be an even stronger second quarter. I am cautiously optimistic, and at the same time fearful of the long term health of the economy and jobs markets.

TheSnowman

We have picked up a lot compared to earlier in May or so. I would be slammed, but I keep "getting jobs" from people, then I end up finding out that they went to the lowballer after they already told me they had the job. Gotta love that.

artbot

so busy finally turning away large projects that don't sound "fun". in the past i would be worried that something else might not be there to replace. so i'd take the job. but there is way more demand than supply at this point. good to hear that others are doing well.

what i am seeing is a mixed bag that i really can not find any rhyme or reason to (other than personal hustle..getting out there and getting the work) i know shops that are really struggling and shops that are experiencing record profits.

in the beginning of this recession i really saw a pattern it was almost without exception from the middle of the US hit first, then the southern states and the east coast hit before the west coast.

but i;m really not seeing a pattern now. i have been preaching to everyone i work with to get out there and get the work don't wait for the phone to ring (but i have always said that i just say it more often now).

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Same here. We're experiencing some of our biggest months and even the last two to three years. I'm not trying to figure it out as much as getting more work to keep things moving. With some of our recent shop additions, some of out time-lines have been cut in half or better. The last three or so weeks have been our slowest, but we're still cranking out the work. Also, our wholesaling has been getting heavier.

Doyle

We are slammed here too in Michigan... haven't worked less than 70 hours in a week for months, this week is looking like 80 hours.

The past few months have been the best we have seen in a couple of years, I am optimistic for the coming months as well. As it stands, I could probably survive until August or September without another order.

Good to hear others are doing well!

Pro Image

Great here......Cant complain one bit.......Ive got a little money in the bank now after the worst winter Ive EVER had........

But Ive had to go back to the Garage business half a day.......We had 3 garages with in 15 miles of us close in the past month......Dad and my Brother just can't keep up with the work.....So its mechanic in the morning and graphics in the afternoon......clean white sheet at night......LOL......

stickermonkey

sales are up overall...but last year sucked really bad...and unfortunately had some bad luck early in 09 (flood in basement & boiler blew = no production for over 6 weeks)...it's catching up to me. I'm a weee bit stressed out. Let hope sales keep up and that GOOD luck will follow me for the rest of this year so that I can put 2009 into its final resting place for good!!!! :wine-smi:

Mosh

Soybean prices are still up and I have around 10,000 bl in storage.
The shop is busy considering we lost our two constant customers. Well down to three of
us until I drum up some new accounts.

imagep

Sales have really sucked all year and continue to do so. We are down close to 20% over last year and last year we were down 30+% over the previous year. But I am cautiously optimististic - I have to be.

So far there is nothing going on in our county. Although our state unemployment rate dropped last month, our county unemployment rate went up. Addidas did just open a new facility and they will be adding 100 jobs during the next six months, but the Disney plant just annouced they were shutting down and will be laying off 100 over the next 6 months - so no net gain in jobs. Several small Boeing vendors have annouced that they will be opening up in our area, but none in our county and it may be a couple of years before any of them open.

All seven of our school systems in our county have just got their new allocation of funds from the state, all seven systems had their budget cut by millions.

Last week we sent out full color postcards to the 1,000 employers in our county, including every single school, non-profit, fitness club, church, every business within a two mile radius, and every employer with 50 or more employees in our county. Out of 1,000 post cards advertising big disount prices on banners, we have not had a single call. We also put the same adv. on the banner that we have up on our building.

I am glad to hear that so many of you are doing so well. There are always winners and loosers in any economy, looks like we got a lot of winners on this forum. Either that or us loosers just aint speaking up.

But here's the upside:

The recession officially started in Dec of 07, we had a record year in '08 and did not suffer any downturn in business until Dec of 08. So I am thinking that my local economy may have a one year delay in this recession cycle. The recession officially ended third quarter of last year, so my hope is that my recession will officially end in the third Q of this year.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

We're busting at the seams. Recently hired an experienced salesman with numerous portable clients. So far, he has kicked in half a dozen new design jobs a week for me and other designer. We have 25 employees and are taking applications for more installers and shop help. No recession here in north Tejas.

copythat

Rocking Since Dec'

We hired to extra hands in the last two months. Direct mailers are really doing the trick. AT least two new customers a month. I haven't been doing any outside sells do to all the work that we have!