• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

So Just how fast IS your Plotter...Really!

OldPaint

If you can go with your plotter back in time can you go back to when Old Paint was making $600 hand painting a set of doors with a quart of muddy 1-Shot and a dirty Q-Tip and tell him to invest heavily in Roland, Summa & Graphtec.........
:smile:

wayne k
guam usa

YA HAD TA GO THERE DIDNTYA??? I DID INVEST IN A ROLAND... 1992.....hehehehehehehehe and i never ever got $600 for set of truck doors....but i sure as hell got a lot more then the $35.......MOST vinyl jockey's get now........

Auburnpeanut

I have had a gerber envision 15", a summa 30" and two graphtec 54". While the graphtecs can cut very fast, the quality is not quite on par with the summa or sprocket fed envision at the higher speeds. As someone pointed out the biggest drawback with the graphtec's is that it will yank on the roll if you don't have enough pre rolled out (or you can run it at significantly slower speed). The summa was design to stop cutting every so many feet and slowly roll out material then go back to position and cut. Basically it pre rolled its own material. It is a great feature that I would kill to have on our graphtec's. Back when we had the 30" Summa it was a daily occurence to run 150 to 300 feet of vinyl through it in a day. I think our record was around 500-600 feet in one day. That joker would cook. Man I miss it....

Sorry meant Mimaki's not graphtecs. I was a little too sleepy writing that last night!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah mon, dat's some fast chit, mon.

Having several plotters, speed never seems to be an issue. Accuracy seems the main focus. We'll go fast sometimes, just for sh!ts & giggles, but for the most part, we're going at about 50% to 65% speed. If a blade is wearing or you have some intricate stuff going on..... or just long continuous lines of copy, no need to take a chance to finish up cutting a little sooner. There's always tomorrow. Plan better and have a happy weekend.

Jeff

YA HAD TA GO THERE DIDNTYA??? I DID INVEST IN A ROLAND... 1992.....hehehehehehehehe and i never ever got $600 for set of truck doors....but i sure as hell got a lot more then the $35.......MOST vinyl jockey's get now........

Here is a local advertisement... 20$ truck doors.jpg

I always ran my plotters on a max of 30 or so for 15+ years. A couple of years ago I started turning my Mimaki up to 100 on all die-cut vinyl, as long as it isn't an 8-foot-long box or outline.

Biker Scout

Exactly. "STARTING AT" is just a "Loss Leader" statement.

"Oh, you want a logo... that's $25 extra. Oh, more than one color? Yeah, that's going to be $15 per color."

Customer: "Your sign said you'd do my doors for $20"

Umm, yeah if it was just one color and looked exactly like this: "BOB'S REPAIR SERVICE" in Helvetica, black vinyl. And that's per door anyway.

Jeff

Exactly. "STARTING AT" is just a "Loss Leader" statement.

"Oh, you want a logo... that's $25 extra. Oh, more than one color? Yeah, that's going to be $15 per color."

Customer: "Your sign said you'd do my doors for $20"

Umm, yeah if it was just one color and looked exactly like this: "BOB'S REPAIR SERVICE" in Helvetica, black vinyl. And that's per door anyway.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread...

Not for these people...that would be both doors...2 or 3 colors. As I posted in another thread they advertise stock car numbers - 2 color convex cut vinyl for the roof & both doors $30