• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

So tired of customers not realizing the value

fmg

+1 for techman. i profile within 10 seconds of the first phone call. its a learned skill, and a MUST have skill for success in this industry.

i send more work to fast signs than you can imagine.

Just curious as to why you send more work to fast signs than one could imagine?
Thanks

cartoad

Had a new one today, a guy who was a big supporter of a failed political canidate has a bunch of 4 x 8 coro signs and wants to use them to advertise on the back of them. So he comes in and asks if we have any old vinyl, or vinyl we are not using to make RTA's with his marketing message for a substantial (read very cheap) discount. It gets more interesting day by day!!

ProWraps

Just curious as to why you send more work to fast signs than one could imagine?
Thanks

because its work that isnt worth my time to do when you factor in what i will give up to have to stop to do it.

qualify the customer instantly, and if its not something you can make money on, pass it along.

jasonx

because its work that isnt worth my time to do when you factor in what i will give up to have to stop to do it.

qualify the customer instantly, and if its not something you can make money on, pass it along.

I agree. People see it as loosing work if you don't take the work.

But your really loosing money not work if you take the work.

iceracer

I'm in the exact same boat with amazingly enough an HVAC guy.

He was a referral from a business associate. He sent me a pic of his current work van which he cobbed together and let me tell you, it is a real mess.

Long and the short of it is, the last reply from him when I explained about design fees and the need for me to know what his overall budget was for this work was; "not much"

I think this one is going to get the hook, this could go on and on.....or not.

heyskull

I lost a job last week that I had put a quote £2,000+VAT.
It was for an alluminium composite sign with a digital print 40' x 9' installed.
Customer called back to ask if my price was correct?
I was a bit concerned because when I initially priced this I started to panic I had underquoted!
No was the answer, they had another quote for £600+VAT fitted!!!
I wouldn't have supplied a banner this size let alone fix it as well.

And then they asked if I could beat this or match it......LOL

SC

signpro

Manager
Same thing around my town... seems everyone is CHEAP!!! they'll tell me how much $$ they spent on radio or newspaper, but penny-pinch with me??? i try to explain they'll get 5years + out of my advertising for a fraction of what they just paid for a month on air!! but they just don't get it.

Signs are the most affordable means of advertising for many businesses, and most businesses -new or not- don't have a dollar to waste. The United States Small Business Administration Bulletin Number 101 on signage for businesses says, "...signs are the most effective, yet least expensive form of advertising for the small business." What's more, signs are always on the job for you, advertising 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Quoted from the Governments' Small Business Association, regarding the effectivness of signs

Marlene

this has worked for me a few times so I thought I'd share. when a customer can't afford to pay the whole price, we do part of the job to get them started and then add to it when they can afford it. I've done just one side of a van with a full colored graphic and lettering on the other side with a spot for the graphic. I've done just lettering and then added a graphics later. it is helpful to the customer because they can have what they would like to have and by working with them, you build a good relationship. it might not work so well with a fleet of trucks but I would give it a try anyway.

J

john1

I tell you guys what, It's very nice to know i'm not alone in getting these customers but I've just about had it.

I have been in business for 6 years now and the past 2 have been nothing but struggling. Not sure if it's the economy or what but hardly anyones calling me anymore and i haven't stopped with my own advertising or anything.

Seems there is a new guy in town who opened up about a year ago and hes actually ALWAYS backed up 2-3 weeks for some reason. He's getting decent pricing for his work too from what i can tell.

Must be the store front taking over home based businesses because i'm doing terrible and have just about had it period. I would so rather work in the back doing production then doing it all and failing.

For years and i even now i always like to read different books and articles on business tools and such but it just seems nothing i do matters anymore.

To be honest, i would like to have someone get my business on track to where it's fun again but at this point i am running out of money so hiring a coach or whatnot is out of the question.

Techman

Must be the store front taking over home based businesses because i'm doing terrible and have just about had it period. I would so rather work in the back doing production then doing it all and failing.

Time for a marketing consultant. Contact Jon.
Hiring a coach is not out of the question. The real quesion is,, what if you continue on the same path. You are still goona have trouble.

J

john1

IMO i don't have the money in my bank for a coach, consultant etc

That's the problem

J

john1

IMO i don't have the money in my bank for a coach, consultant etc

I know he has a free consultation but there is a fee involved to go further which i don't have.

That's the problem

3dsignco

Wait till your get one of these..This happened to me in May.
I will save this email conversation till I die. It is actually framed in my shop.

Good Morning:
I would like a firm estimate of the cost of routing the letters: "SIERRA MOJADA RANCH" into a 10 foot long by 10 inch wide by 4 inch thick of pine beetle killed pine that I provide. The letters will be as large in proportion to the piece of wood as possible as shown in the Maytag Mountain Ranch example.

Arthur Attached is a Proof and quote for your sign using the Dimensions you supplied me. ($250 for the router work)

Friend Bill:
Would you consider performing the work for $200 to reflect the poor
economic conditions here in Westcliffe? This would be a 20% discount.
Thinking allowed..

(Reply)
I think I will pass on the project Thank you anyway. I only offer quality and charge accordingly.

Friend Bill:

* Things are changing and the blue collar workers like you need to adjust to the new shape of the land..... I am a Phd in Engineering and a multi-millionaire. In 2010 my wife Marty and I have not made a single penny so far in our commercial endeavors..... Yikes! My wife Marty is one of the top RE/MAX agents in the world and like I said she has not made a single penny in 2010..... Look here:

www.sangre-de-cristo.com/land

* The food chain starts with people like my wife Marty and I..... How about making 20% less than you hoped for rather than zero and providing us with some signage?

* As a Phd in Engineering I can learn how to carve some letters in a piece of wood in a couple of days..... Can you Learn how to be a Phd in Engineering in the same amount of time?

Thinking allowed.......

My Final email:
5 Years MIT and ASU. $95,000

CnC Router, Software, Building to house all equipment and 20 Years
learning my Trade. $300,000 (Give or take.)

Being able to turn down your Job.... PRICELESS.

Friend Bill:

I apologize for insulting you..... Would you please take on the assignment for the fee you proposed of $250.

Thanks for letting me know about your background..... Wow! We are experiencing a cash flow problem even though we are well educated millionaires on paper so we are pinching pennies on every project including auto repairs, eating out at restaurants and having signs made for the ranch...... Our health insurance as of a month ago went from $9600 to $16,500 per year with no change in the policy itself.

My wife Marty is offering residential homes at 40% below the asking price and she still has not made a penny in 2010 as there are almost 1100 homes for sale in Custer County. Marty is the great grandaugher of James Watt - Inventor of the Steam Engine and has to hustle real estate for a living thanks to a collapse of the stock market..... Look here:

routierracing

well

So you didn't help the guy playing the down on his luck millionare part? You could have at least offered buy his kids something around the holidays because thats when millionares need us "blue collar" folk to help out and do what we can for them.

k.a.s.

I'm dealing with a non profit right now, they have no idea what type of sign they want. I explain that we can make a sign to meet most any budget, so I asked if they have a budget.....she said she has asked her boss several times and his response is "we are non-profit, our budget is zero." But since I am for profit that is not gonna work.

Kevin