• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

so... what's up with the surecolor?

a77

Anyone know what is the production problem causing the delays?
I am looking at printers now and it's an interesting option.
I know they are delaying by at least 2 months, but anyone know what the issue is? print heads? software? mechanical issues?

CS-SignSupply-TT

EPSON has done a "...wheelbarrow full..." of marketing, promotion, and advertising since SGIA in Naw'lins last October and ISA in Orlando just a few weeks ago not to be delivering...hhhmmm?!?!?!

a77

hp apparently doesn't have ink for the l26500, that's not stopping them from selling it :S

Molenbeek

here at Advantage Sign Supply we have inks for both the Epson SureColor and the HP L26500- OEM. Inks aren't an issue for either

tomence

I won't name who the dealer is but this is what i got in my email:

"Please keep in mind the Epson S30 will not start shipping until mid to late summer. If you are told otherwise you may have some issues with ink inventory as Epson has only released a few units and those are supposed to be kept by the dealers for their demo rooms and dealers can only buy enough ink to keep those going."

a77

I've heard that these will be shipping at the end of this month now..
Anybody else got news?

rjssigns

Epson sounds just like the place I used to work.
Management: Is it ready for production?
Engineering: Absolutely, the drawings look great!
Management: Wonderful, get started immediately.
So engineering has us build it even though we raised objections as to the serious flaws we saw in drawings during the pre-start meeting. It turns out to be a flaming pile of feces that we cannot even get to run long enough to QC the dang thing.
Engineering: But the CAD drawings looked so good. It was the guys in the shop that effed it up.
Me: What?! You're upset now because we built it just like you told us too?
Engineering: #*)*_(*&^_)(_)(YOU!
So now it goes back to where it should have began. Proper component selection, which includes not only compatibility, but fitness of use, durability, and ease of maintenance.

Where I worked had nearly 97% of the world market for their products, but because of idiocy like what I described they are now barely hanging on. Some friends that still work there are very afraid of losing their jobs.
Went from almost 500 employees to well under a hundred.

If Epson keeps pulling stunts like this they will find themselves in an untenable situation.

mediaman

rjs,

That is a boatload of conjecture there with no hard evidence. Kind of useless as an explanation for Epson's delay of their product. BTW, we have a SureColor S30670 and it is awesome. Ink is readily available.

artbot

i believe epson is a company in decline. canon will have their solvent printer out soon and as the years go on, the idea of "permanent" heads will lose out as legacy buyers jump to new tech. now if the thermal head oems will just go with a straight media path design then you'd have the perfect solvent printer.

a77

mediaman, are you a printer or a supplier?
was going to ask you what you thought of the printer besides it being just awesome..
any other first thoughts now that you've been able to play with it?

rjssigns

That is a boatload of conjecture there with no hard evidence. Kind of useless as an explanation for Epson's delay of their product. BTW, we have a SureColor S30670 and it is awesome. Ink is readily available.

Okay. Glad it is working well for you. My post was based on my 25+ year manufacturing background. Just when I though I'd seen it all a new wrinkle appears.

The fact remains they wanted to capture a certain market segment or use end of cycle inventory. Engineering was rushed and it went downhill from there. It happens all over the world in various industries. The least they could have done is owned the issue.

comholt

We are an Epson dealer and I discussed the S30 delay with the folks at Epson a few months ago. They told me that they were not getting the desired quality at 600 sq-ft/hr, so they replaced the damper assembly to improve high speed quality. We are printing on our demo unit as I type, and the results are really excellent.

The S50 and S70 went up on the Epson site yesterday, and I was told today they will be shipping in October.

No problem with inks at this point.

--Clark, Spectraflow

ProColorGraphics

The new S70 looks cool. wonder how their 8 color setup looks? Also wondering how their white and silver look. A 10 color printer will be interesting to see.

parrott

These new printers look great and have a nice price point (or at least the s30 does). I am a big fan of them adding a "heavy duty" media holder. Holds up to 11.5" diameter rolls and 175 lbs. We have been extremely happy with our GS6000 and will continue to look at the Epson family for future wide format printers.

a77

hey comholt.. so does your demo have the new damper ***'y? If so.. did it fix the problem like promised?