• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

software

Banjo

anybody recommend software for entry level startup vinyl cutting ? have PC and Summa D-60 . Thanx

Kottwitz-Graphics

Cocut is a nice add on, but you don't really have to have it. With summa, you can download winplot, and off you go.

With cocut, you get weed lines, but you can just add that into your corel file when you send it to plot...

ThinkRight

Cocut is a nice add on, but you don't really have to have it. With summa, you can download winplot, and off you go.

With cocut, you get weed lines, but you can just add that into your corel file when you send it to plot...

Can you explain to me how to do that ?I have a DC4sx
I tested sending a file to winplot,it made it.Then what ?
A tutorial for winplot would be nice.

Kottwitz-Graphics

That being the printer/plotter, I'm betting you need the printer tools.

I have the d60 plotter, and in corel you select the text you want to plot, select send to winplot, and it opens winplot.

you just click send to plot, and its done.

Techman

With cocut, you get weed lines, but you can just add that into your corel file when you send it to plot..Cocut is a nice add on, but you don't really have to have it.

No and they used to cut vinyl with an exacto too!. Oh they also painted cave walls with a burnt stick..

Cocut and cocut pro PRO has it all. And more lots more. It makes your vector art program such as Corel draw and Illustrator and Autocad or all three on the same computer into full blast sign programs. Weed lines, outlines, offsets, rotation, cut by color, every thing any one could dream of. Cocut will cut any file anywhere on any machine out there.

Adding weed lines manually? Are you crazy??
Cutting manual direct out of corel? How many ruined jobs would it take before someone finds a way to quit wasting time and vinyl? IT took me just a one..

You can try cocut free for 30 days.
http://www.cocut.com/index.dml

Jim Doggett

With the DC products, you'll want to download ColorControl. It's essentially a Postscript RIP, which includes print-and-cut, which when last I was familiar with ColorControl, it assumed the boxes on the corners are reg-marks and that the remaining vectors are cut-lines. But it may, and is likely to have newer features.

It's free to download, since it only runs Summa products.

But designing is something Summa leaves to off-the-self products, which I believe they still recommend be CorelDRAW and Photoshop, which their tech support folks know well. Maybe Illustrator in lieu of CorelDRAW is something they're now better at supporting, given the growth in popularity for Illy among sign-makers ... in the old day, Corel ruled, and still does, I think, on average.

Best Regards,

CS-SignSupply-TT

SUMMA DC4sx PRINTER CUTTER

ThinkRight, since you have a printer/cutter hybrid, asking it to cut only is asking it to do more than it was intended. The beauty of the DC4sx is its ability to print 3-4 year outdoor durable graphics on adhesive back vinyl AND contour cut the graphics.

Kottwitz-Graphics

No and they used to cut vinyl with an exacto too!. Oh they also painted cave walls with a burnt stick..

Cocut and cocut pro PRO has it all. And more lots more. It makes your vector art program such as Corel draw and Illustrator and Autocad or all three on the same computer into full blast sign programs. Weed lines, outlines, offsets, rotation, cut by color, every thing any one could dream of. Cocut will cut any file anywhere on any machine out there.

Adding weed lines manually? Are you crazy??
Cutting manual direct out of corel? How many ruined jobs would it take before someone finds a way to quit wasting time and vinyl? IT took me just a one..

You can try cocut free for 30 days.
http://www.cocut.com/index.dml

I must be. I have used Cocut at a previous job, and it wasn't all that...in my opinion.

As far as the bells and whistles...I really don't need them. I am using Signtools 3, so I can do the outlines right in corel. I don't rotate material to cut, and I arrange the colors to cover best use of material. Weed lines, I just pull a straight line right in corel.

Wasting time, I guess it would save a few seconds, but its all what your accustomed to. I have yet to waste vinyl due to messed up weed lines.