• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SOL with DSL

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Anyone know how to speed up a sluggish DSL upload?
I have about 2 gigs of files to upload to Gregory and my ftp speed is less than 40kbs.
I have a one meg connection ( I think) and I know the upload speed is going to be slower than download, but is it supposed to be this slow?

It's getting close to midnight and I'll be here the rest of the week at this rate.

wayne k
guam usa

Have to go troll the NHB forums to keep awake
:Sleeping:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
that's a 320kbits upload rate... 1/3 the speed of your download rate... seems about right to me
320kbits would be good, the ftp client is reporting 33.5kb per second..
I used to get this speed when I was on a 57k modem.
it took 2 and a half hours to upload a 318 meg file.
It got to the end and then reported an error - transfer failed.
:banghead:

wayne k
guam usa

Techman

tweak yer settings.. Every machine is different. DSL reports will help you configure your machine..

Sounds like you are having packet collisions..

choucove

If your average upload speed is supposed to be 320 kbits/sec. then it sounds like you are actually running at the correct speed if it is uploading at about 40 kb/sec. Network traffic likes to make it sound all fast and powerful by confusedly using kbits/sec speed while the standard for storage space anymore really is kb, eight times the size of a kbit as there are 8 bits per byte. So, 320 kbits/sec. divided by 8 is 40 kb/sec. Part of the slow transfer could also possibly be due to ISP throttling.

There is a great deal of controversy right now about ISPs being able to throttle -cut down - a persons internet drastically based on the type of internet protocol and traffic that they are using. Comcast just faced the Supreme Court on this very subject because they advertised that users would be purchasing a DSL package with internet connection speed like 3 MB/sec. (when it actually was 3 Mbits/sec. for one) and then if that user downloaded files using the P2P protocol, like through a torrent file or other peer-to-peer transfers, then they would cut that user's connection speed to as little as 10% of what they really should be receiving.

The supreme court ruled that this was illegal, as in a way it was both invasion of privacy (they have no right to limit the amount of service of a signed contract based on the type of protocol or internet traffic that is being used.) and a form of false advertisement (selling a 3 Mb/sec - really 3 Mbit/sec - connection or other speed connections but then throttling down to only 10% or so of that contracted connection speed.)

It will be interesting how other ISPs will begin to deal with their administration policies as I know they will soon be facing the same kind of court cases should they continue the practice of connection throttling as well.

cptcorn

adad
320kbits would be good, the ftp client is reporting 33.5kb per second..
I used to get this speed when I was on a 57k modem.
it took 2 and a half hours to upload a 318 meg file.
It got to the end and then reported an error - transfer failed.
:banghead:

wayne k
guam usa

You're compairing bytes to bits... 1 byte = 8 bits... so 33.5kb (kilobytes) = 268kbits (kilobits) ... thats about right give or take a bit unfortunately.

TheSnowman

If you can get cable DO IT! We had DSL a couple years, and now I don't know how I managed. My UPLOAD speed now is twice what my DOWNLOAD used to be. Now my DOWNLOAD speed is about 20X faster than my old download speed.