• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Solara Ion

coyote

Doesn't this belong to the "you're a sign geek if....." thread?
I thought you folks were talking about a car.
so, you know you're a sign geek if you talk about a new printer with words like "sexy".
C

ChiknNutz

Isn't this about $80k? If so, aren't there other better options out there for that? Maybe, maybe not...just asking cuz we're starting to look at these...

petepaz

from what i have seen (which is not alot)
the solara is pretty good for the cost
i think the solara 1 is about $50-60,000
but if they had a white feature that worked good i would gladly pay $80,000
one of the good ones that i have seen that prints white is the mimaki but that is about $120,000

signage

The Solara is about 35,000 the Ion is 80,000 the Solara is a rigid UV ink and the Ion is a flexible UV ink, also the Ion is a quick cure UV whic means that one the UV light hits it it starts the cure and finishes even without the light!

Left Coast

printers and plotters can so be sexy! sign geek indeed!

ive always liked the gerber products myself... really enjoyed graphix advatage back in the day!

ChiknNutz

Anyone seen one of these or actual samples? I just talked with a guy from Gerber. Supposedly, the ink is opaque enough to be used successfully for clear media...unlike what I've seen from most inkjet prints. I just looked at the service plan for the Ion....only $8000 a year! Geez, gotta be kidding me...that's 50% more than the entire payment for my SP-540!

signage

Yes I saw prints from one back in March, at the same time Mimmaki had samples from their new flatbed. What I would wait for is for Gerber to come up with white ink that will work. That is the one nice thing that the mimmaki had. When you get one of these I would recommend getting the service plan!

Browner

Waiting to see what some of the reviews from "out in the field" are. It does look pretty interesting, but the cationic inks are - as of yet - unproven (unless someone can show me otherwise).

Gerber is nice stuff (I've been using an EDGE for 10 years), but I'd hate to invest $80,000+ and have it end up the way of the Maxx.

$8000 per year service plan? C'mon.

ChiknNutz

Waiting to see what some of the reviews from "out in the field" are. It does look pretty interesting, but the cationic inks are - as of yet - unproven (unless someone can show me otherwise).

Gerber is nice stuff (I've been using an EDGE for 10 years), but I'd hate to invest $80,000+ and have it end up the way of the Maxx.

$8000 per year service plan? C'mon.

Yeah, that was my reaction too. Seems like extortion to me!

signage

I think the next big change will be good white ink in flat bed UV at that time it may become a more stable venue. Look at the price drop in the original Solara already replaced by the Solara Ion! Only time will tell, The Ion looked better to me than the Solara 1.

klmiller611

Well, I still have not seen one in action as of yet other than at ISA in Orlando. We have one ordered, placed our order on April 18 and our present ship date is October 17, now two months past our original ship date. I'd love to hear comments from someone who has actually received a production model, I begin to doubt there is anything other than dealer or beta units out there so far. I hear rumors of various problems, but nothing concrete, and the only way I have even gotten a ship date is from our salesperson.