• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

solid color van wrap questions

petepaz

have to wrap a white van and customer is getting a solid black wrap with some graphics added. i figured because of the amount of black i just ordered black wrap vinyl to save on printing, lam and any imperfections that you could get printing that much black(in other words wasted material) here are my questions...
1. since it's solid color/black what do you do about hinges or any other white parts that would show through or don't get wrapped?
(i was thinking about painting them but then what if the customer removes the wrap?)
2. customer asked how this will affect his registration?
(registered as a white van but we are making it black)

and if there is anything else anyone thinks might be important to know when doing a solid color wrap feel free to give your 2 cents
thanks

rjssigns

If it's a work van and he plans on running it into the dirt I'd paint it. Lots of shops in my area competing to make a buck. One of our clients has a taxi company. Respray on his shuttle vans are 800 bucks. And they look nice when they're done. For that kind of coin it ain't worth my time to wrap for a color change.

As far as registration there should be no issue. If there was it would be illegal to change the appearance.

tbullo

Superunknown
I will share a color change story that happened to me. This was not a wrap but paint. I painted my 1995 Blazer that was red to a 2 tone blue and gray. Drove around a few months no problem. One day at a stop light a motorcycle cop (which I happened to have lettered) pulls up behind me. Light turns green and he turns his lights on and pulls me over. He runs my tag at the light and it came back registered to a red Blazer so he pulled me over. I explained that I just painted it and he tells me I have to reregister with the new color. No ticket and only cost less then 5 dollars. So in VA your tag needs to match the color on the registration. I do not know if this applies to wraps since they are not a "permanent" change.

petepaz

thanks for the input. going to try the plasti-dip paint. think i can just get that at lowes or home depot. also i have a call in to my brother in law, he is a state trooper to see what he says about the registration. let you know what i find out

dolce05

pete... your overthinking it. I attached a photo of a truck we wrapped avery dark indigo blue and did the logo and copy with second level vinyl. If your customer in the end thinks the hinges need to be done. Give them the additional cost mask the suckers get some spray paint ....scuff and spray. if they sell the truck they will have to reverse the hinges. Not a big deal. If it is, they can live with them white. ....Get your deposit and wrap away!!

Attachments

• bluetruck.jpg
    bluetruck.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 57

phototec

If it was me, I just paint the hinges black with Krylon, that's how I address this issue. If they remove the wrap at a later date and what the truck white again, they just paint the hinges white, no big deal.

Plastic-Dip paint can be scratched and removed very easily, it peels off if you rub against it, I would NOT use it on the hinges. Anyway this my mu onion, just like an A-hole everybody has one.....