Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions Solvent to Latex

Discussion in 'Product and Supplier Referrals' started by david webb, Mar 31, 2019.

has anyone changed from solvet to latex and had regrets

1. negative

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. positive

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. david webb

david webb New Member

Mar 29, 2019
    gold coast
    solvent to latex issues

Tags:
  2. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Converted 10 years ago and wouldn't go back from having latex. We would add Solvent and actual plan on it soon for its abilities beyond latex.

3. david webb

david webb New Member

Mar 29, 2019
    gold coast
    So i would be crazy to go latex i think the
    new technology for solvent is much better, do you agree

4. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over

5. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

switched to latex about 8 years ago, I would rather have rusty nails driven up my fingernails on a daily basis rather than go back to solvent.

• Like Like x 2
  6. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    Ran solvent for 10years, been on latex now nearly as much.... can't say I'd ever go back but i'd be interested to hear how solvent prints have improved

7. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Absolutely not. I think Latex is best for general purpose, solvent is great for super bright colors and specialty printing like white and silver metallic.

8. jpescobar

jpescobar Member

Jun 5, 2016
    Tunisia
    Solvent and Latex are like diesel and electric engines, they are different and they don't have the same technology. Most people and printer shops use solvent printers like Windows system on PCs. HP has no doubt the most diversified printing branch (DesignJet, Latex, Scitex, Indigo, PageWide) but it struggles to compete with big brands like Epson, Mimaki, Konica Minolta, Ricoh, Agfa, Vutek...). I don't say HP has bad products, personnaly I owned only HP PCs for nearly 17 years but when it comes to printers I prefer brands like Epson and Konica Minolta. I own 5 machines and I'm happy with the reliability, the versatility and the print quality.

9. BigfishDM

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    For wide-format, HP is the #1,2, and 4 printer in the ENTIRE industry. Epson, Roland, and Mutoh COMBINED make up #3. HP does the best job against those brands FYI.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

The improvement isn't so much in the prints, though they are sharper/clearer/brighter than 10 years ago, but in the solvents. 10 years ago you couldn't stand to be in the same room with the printer more than 5 minutes. Now it's no problem. Also the ink dries much faster now.

Most of my competitors in town have latex, and when I get a customer who has used one of them in the past, they typically are amazed at the quality of the prints compared to what they used to get.

11. jpescobar

jpescobar Member

Jun 5, 2016
    Tunisia
    This ranking is based on which report? If you argue that HP is better than Roland and Mutoh we can agree but better than Epson especially the SureColor Series I do not think so. I understand and I respect the fact you're a HP Latex reseller (If I'm not wrong) but I talked with many HP resellers and they all agree that Epson is the best eco-solvent printer on the market.

• Like Like x 2
  12. StarSign

StarSign Active Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Southern Utah
    We went from solvent to latex and then back to solvent. I know it's apples to oranges to some degree however I am very pleased that we went sent latex packing.

• Like Like x 2
  13. BigfishDM

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Just based of unit placements that's all. I do agree that the Epson Color gamut is better also. I think in most cases the Latex ink gamut is totally fine though.

14. Modern Ink Signs

Modern Ink Signs Premium Subscriber

Jun 27, 2008
    Waukesha, WI
    I switch to latex about 6 months ago. I do not regret it at all.

- We get great color
    - Production times went down

Very glad we made the switch!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Bobby H

Bobby H Very Active Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Lawton, OK
    We used to do solvent (or "eco-solvent) printing. Four years ago we bought a big HP latex printer and then two years ago set up a second one alongside it. When the second printer arrived we retired our old VersaCAMM. Both printers stay pretty busy. To add another variable, we recently purchased/installed a new UV flatbed printer. That's going to be a big help on a variety of other kinds of jobs.

The change in printers has been positive for the most part. No more waiting for hours or more to allow prints to out-gas before laminating them.

• Like Like x 2
  16. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    Each have their benefits. The latex fanbois will swear by latex... The solvent will swear by solvent.

Ive ran all three. I love the latex the best... But that doesn't mean it's better than solvent. For every up it has, it has a down.

One is not better than the other... They're just Different.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  17. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    This^^^^

My new solvent printer will be here in a couple weeks. Why solvent? Because I use the same advice I give to people wanting to buy a printer. Buy local, even if it costs more. Dealer is within 30 minutes of my shop. When a printer breaks,and they all do, I want someone on site within hours not days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. BUCKY

BUCKY Member

Jan 15, 2018
    WISCONSIN
    What was the issues with the latex that you didn't like?

19. AF

AF Active Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Ventura, CA
    No printer is perfect, you may get a dud and not every situation will work with one specific type of printer.

There are people overwhelmingly happy with every printer tech and people who won’t touch certain printers ever again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. StarSign

StarSign Active Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Southern Utah
    It felt like we had to babysit the HP a lot, startup time, power needs made it harder to reconfigure area. They are good machines and have a place however, after having 2 it was time for a change. We still have our 210 but we won't turn it on. It's not worth keeping all of the supplies in stock.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1