• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Solvent to Latex

has anyone changed from solvet to latex and had regrets

• negative

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • positive

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters

ikarasu

I'm still getting familiar with my 560 (it was a second hand) and it would extend out about 4 feet of material the last time I loaded it. I couldn't rewind it beyond a certain point either so it all went to waste. How are you only scrapping 6-10 inches?

It should only load 1-2" into the printer. I'm not sure why yours loads 4 ft... Must be a setting or something is wrong. I know you can tell it to load xx inches before it prints, I turned that off. I usually extend it until it gets passed the "hump" in the heater... Once its extended enough to lay flat inside the curing module it's good to go. Usually it wastes 10" on cheap material / reflectives... Car wrap material I can print with near no waste.

4ft is insane though! Not sure why it'd preload that much.

Dukenukem117

It should only load 1-2" into the printer. I'm not sure why yours loads 4 ft... Must be a setting or something is wrong. I know you can tell it to load xx inches before it prints, I turned that off. I usually extend it until it gets passed the "hump" in the heater... Once its extended enough to lay flat inside the curing module it's good to go. Usually it wastes 10" on cheap material / reflectives... Car wrap material I can print with near no waste.

4ft is insane though! Not sure why it'd preload that much.

I have to load my material using the flappy assist thing, so I wonder if that has something to do with it. But ya, it ends up with about 4 feet extending out and won't let me rewind. Its so long that I cant even tape it to the take up roll without cutting it.

Bly

I could be wrong but I think if the take up is turned on at the front panel it spools out enough media to tape on before you start printing. Top tip: turn it off on the front panel - it still works. You just have to wait till it gets down to the takeup reel.

ikarasu

I always have use take up turned off on my 110. Not sure if it's even an option on the 560 as I don't remember seeing it.. But it could be and that may be the problem. As Bly said, keep it off and tape it up mid print, it's what I do.

What flappy thing do you use to load? Our printer came with a ton of stuff we don't even use. Never saw a need to use any of it yet... You should be able to load normally. I think the accessories like the loader assist is for stuff like cloth or material that curls. I'm not at work right now so I can only get pictures of.my 110. But this is where my 110 and 560 load to... Right below the cutter Channel. This is also where I print on good car wrap materials - everything else I extend to go past the heater.

Attachments

• F6479496-AB17-4FAE-8040-D29ABAC0B9D3.jpeg
    F6479496-AB17-4FAE-8040-D29ABAC0B9D3.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 244

ikarasu

Id suggest doing a factory reset on your printer. Since its used you never know what settings the old owners put into it.. But I can tell you wasting 4 ft of media isn't normal. You can get by with no waste if you babysit the machine even... I just waste a foot because I don't want to stand there for 10 mins unless it's an expensive material.

I have two metal rulers I got from the dollar store. If I'm worried the material will curl and touch the heater, causing a jam.. I just stick around and jamb them up to guide the media. Or I used to... Now we just write off a ft or so everytime we load. It's not really a huge deal since we like a foot on both ends for laminating also.

Only reflective materials like 3430 3m and 4090 DG are very wasteful. Since its so thick it tends to curl on the edges... I've ruined two printhead from DG curling. Now I measure about 50", tape it to the real and print after its already attached. Then we just use that 50" to sheet roadsigns for screen printing.

If it's not the take up reel being turned on, Try this.

Settings - substrate - substrate handling options - then there's an extra bottom margin and an extra top. My.too is set to 110 mils.. Bottom is set to none.

Dukenukem117

I always have use take up turned off on my 110. Not sure if it's even an option on the 560 as I don't remember seeing it.. But it could be and that may be the problem. As Bly said, keep it off and tape it up mid print, it's what I do.

What flappy thing do you use to load? Our printer came with a ton of stuff we don't even use. Never saw a need to use any of it yet... You should be able to load normally. I think the accessories like the loader assist is for stuff like cloth or material that curls. I'm not at work right now so I can only get pictures of.my 110. But this is where my 110 and 560 load to... Right below the cutter Channel. This is also where I print on good car wrap materials - everything else I extend to go past the heater.

Turning off the take-up would make sense... but would the printer know to start winding it when I tape it mid print? I read somewhere the dancer bar is what triggers the winding, so I guess I just have to try it. If I'm taping it mid-print, do you find it helpful to pause the print while taping? Is it ever a good idea to pause a print?

I am using the load assist 'wing' cause my material basically acts like fabric. It makes it work though its not exactly easy to use either. It's very slippery so its hard to push into the channel.

ikarasu

Once the bar lowers to a certain point, it'll wind up the reel. I've never pretaped it to the bar as that'll take up 4+ ft of material... If you're doing a ton of rolls a day and pressed on time, and want to just tape it up I can see that being useful... otherwise I do it manually.

You can pause it - Just open the window and it'll pause and stop. I usually keep it going... but until you're used to taping it up on the move I'd pause it. I usually have 3 pieces of tape sticking to the machine... One on each side and one in the mid, as it's moving I hold both ends taut... Once the printer finishes a pass and advances the media, it gives me enough time to tape both sides and the center up with plenty of time to spare.

Only once did I mess up and end up pushing the media up causing it to curl and cause a jam... My first week using the printer. Other than that it's fine!

And yes, pausing is also fine. I pause all the time and theres never any noticeable print defects. When you run out of ink mid print... the machine will pause and tell you to put a new cart in. 9 out of 10 times there wont be any defect for that even - And it gives something like 5-10 minutes before it'll cancel the print. I'm not sure how long you have by lifting the plexiglass... but it's safe to do so, so long as you dont go take a phonecall after lifting it and forget about it.

Dukenukem117

Once the bar lowers to a certain point, it'll wind up the reel. I've never pretaped it to the bar as that'll take up 4+ ft of material... If you're doing a ton of rolls a day and pressed on time, and want to just tape it up I can see that being useful... otherwise I do it manually.

You can pause it - Just open the window and it'll pause and stop. I usually keep it going... but until you're used to taping it up on the move I'd pause it. I usually have 3 pieces of tape sticking to the machine... One on each side and one in the mid, as it's moving I hold both ends taut... Once the printer finishes a pass and advances the media, it gives me enough time to tape both sides and the center up with plenty of time to spare.

Only once did I mess up and end up pushing the media up causing it to curl and cause a jam... My first week using the printer. Other than that it's fine!

And yes, pausing is also fine. I pause all the time and theres never any noticeable print defects. When you run out of ink mid print... the machine will pause and tell you to put a new cart in. 9 out of 10 times there wont be any defect for that even - And it gives something like 5-10 minutes before it'll cancel the print. I'm not sure how long you have by lifting the plexiglass... but it's safe to do so, so long as you dont go take a phonecall after lifting it and forget about it.

Does it take about 20 minutes to boot up for you as well? I'm still not use to how long it takes to boot. Mine also restarted itself at least once when I was navigating to the network menu, but that may be because we're running it off a residential 220 line at the moment.

ikarasu

From power off to boot is about 4-5 minutes.

From sleep to print is about 3-5 minutes also.

I've had it restart once, one time it just froze mid print... It is really reliable, but every machine will have a glitch once or twice.

The main glitch is the screen will become slow to respond once the prints been on without a restart for a week or so..which seems to be a common problem. Pain in the ass when your trying to select media and it just sits there

Jack Knight1979

My company switch from to eco sol Rolands which I was very loyal to. We changed to two 370 machines in 2015. I think we ran something 75,000 square feet through the two machines in the first month. I wouldn't have been able to do that with the eco sol machines if my life depended on it. Our productivity, image quality, dry times, color accuracy, and profitability all increased dramatically upon turning on the latex machines.

The HPs can be temperamental at times, but I've never had a serious problem with them.

Nismoasfuh

Ok I must be super behind, I thought latex was exclusively for dedicated printers. I can just switch from eco-solvent to latex on my Roland sp540v? What else has to be changed for the switch? What are the biggest benifits?

flyplainsdrifta

Ok I must be super behind, I thought latex was exclusively for dedicated printers. I can just switch from eco-solvent to latex on my Roland sp540v? What else has to be changed for the switch? What are the biggest benifits?

no you cannot. OP is talking about getting rid of his solvent for a new latex