• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Some of my old work back in the day before the evil computer

SignManiac

I found that sniffing paint thinners all day induced a variety of images which I used in my sign work. The tactile experience one gets with the brush is akin to an erotic dance with the paint pixies that would fly around in my head. I'm sure Dan can relate to the elation one derives from this near spiritual experience!

These are some of my very old works that were hand painted before computer. Most are painted on MDO or sandblasted redwood. The Bostwick's sign is 1/2" plywood, completely flat. The gold is 23k hand spun and outlined and the artwork and ribbon panel are airbrushed. The skydiving piece is from a photograph of my friends I use to jump with. The plane is our old Cessna.

The signs I make today are not real, they just look that way because they are made from artificial pixels. I sold my soul to the devil and he's had his way with me. I will probably have a digital head stone printed for my grave when I die. The government is plotting against me, I just know this.

Attachments

• amcondo.jpg
    amcondo.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 138
  • bacchus.jpg
    bacchus.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 124
  • Ben&Jerry.jpg
    Ben&Jerry.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 131
  • Bostwicks33.jpg
    Bostwicks33.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 106
  • crowsnest.jpg
    crowsnest.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Deal U-pull-it.jpg
    Deal U-pull-it.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 101
  • flyingfish.jpg
    flyingfish.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 115
  • littler2.jpg
    littler2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 117
  • LIskydivers.jpg
    LIskydivers.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 121
  • lobsteragogo.jpg
    lobsteragogo.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 117

Marlene

nice work as always!

The signs I make today are not real, they just look that way because they are made from artificial pixels. I sold my soul to the devil and he's had his way with me. I will probably have a digital head stone printed for my grave when I die. The government is plotting against me, I just know this.

just having a 'puter doesn't make a person talented. the 'puter is just one more tool like a brush or a router so it all comes down to talent, which you have no lack of. stand proud my friedn, you have not sold your soul, only moved on to a new tool to express your talents.

AUTO-FX

wow, cool "dan" !!! and that u-pull-it sign is flippin sweet!!! easy on the meds though, dont want to wreck a good thing...

-Chris

SignManiac

Nope Bill, never once submitted any work to the mags. Just some old stuff I had stored from the early days.

Thought I would have some fun poking Freehandan...Shucks he's gone already. He will be sorely missed....NOT

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nope Bill, never once submitted any work to the mags. Just some old stuff I had stored from the early days.

Thought I would have some fun poking Freehandan...Shucks he's gone already. He will be sorely missed....NOT

When the heck did this happen ?? Not to be a :thread, but what did he do to get banned ??

He was annoying, but unless he did something behind the scenes or composed a thread so bad he got walloped off of here.... what gives ?? He was a very interesting specimen............ :omg:

SignManiac

He pretty much slammed and insulted Fred in Fred's house. I think he was pushing as hard as he could to get banned. It's one thing to diss the members here, but you don't dare disrespect Fred. He does not deserve that at all.

SignManiac

LOL Si, not sure Freehanddan was correct about much of anything. Especially his conspiracy theories.

All I know is that I painted a ton of signs with 1-shot and quills and enjoyed the pictorial work the most.

Ponto

I started in the "biz" coating boards for guys with similar talents and was able to witness the "craft" firsthand while they brought the boards to life.....your images bring back memories and display real talent as well...........thanks!

JP

Jim Doggett

nice work as always!

just having a 'puter doesn't make a person talented. the 'puter is just one more tool like a brush or a router so it all comes down to talent, which you have no lack of. stand proud my friedn, you have not sold your soul, only moved on to a new tool to express your talents.

+1 to that Marlene! My friend Greg Reid (http://www.reidsigns.com/site/?page_id=10) was pretty active in the Letterheads meets back in the day. And he was branded a heretic for buying a vinyl cutter when they gained popularity.

But talent + technology = uhhhhmazing

IMHO,

Jim

Craig Sjoquist

Those are all outstanding, full of life and interest and readable.
Like your pictures as well very nice indeed.
I'm amazed you don't use the brush more often.

SignManiac

To be honest Craig, it's because I'm lazy and don't enjoy ruining all of my clothes from being covered in paint. I enjoyed hand lettering when I started but found it too limiting with regards to turning out volume work for more money. A one man painter can only produce x amount of dollars in an hour, a week, or a month. I got into business to make good money and that's still the focus of my business.

I still have all of my chisels and can hand carve all my signs or run the router table and do in one hour what would take eight hours by hand. It all comes down to time and time is money and the time we have on earth is even more limited. I want to get the most out of this journey and have realized that tools can make you more productive.

My quills are a tool, my printers and routers are tools. To me, the real enjoyment is in the creative design process, not so much the production. I chalk it up to evolution and progress. I'm continually evolving and don't want to limit myself to never adapting to the latest and greatest way to make a sign. I'll use anything that gets the job done as long the end result looks fantastic! I'm a tortured soul. I'm a bit of an egomaniac but I don't want my ego to get in the way of improving my business or my skills. I struggle with that.

chopper

SignManiac,
some really nice work....I was more into truck lettering in my paint sniffin' days...
I am saddened that freebasindan has been banned.
and I missed out on it...:doh: but I knew it was inevitable, I thought I might share some pics of some of the old stuff I did, the best buy and grabel were done with a partner of mine , the best buy is from when they first started out...
Picture 006.jpg

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 005.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

//chopper

SignManiac

Chopper that's some nice work! I did a ton of vehicles back then too.. I didn't mind knocking out a one off custom, but hated lettering fleet work that was the same all the time. I had a mountain of pounce patterns back in the day. I still have my pounce wheels somewhere.