Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some of my old work back in the day before the evil computer

Discussion in 'Hand Made Signs' started by SignManiac, Oct 13, 2010.

1. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    I found that sniffing paint thinners all day induced a variety of images which I used in my sign work. The tactile experience one gets with the brush is akin to an erotic dance with the paint pixies that would fly around in my head. I'm sure Dan can relate to the elation one derives from this near spiritual experience!

These are some of my very old works that were hand painted before computer. Most are painted on MDO or sandblasted redwood. The Bostwick's sign is 1/2" plywood, completely flat. The gold is 23k hand spun and outlined and the artwork and ribbon panel are airbrushed. The skydiving piece is from a photograph of my friends I use to jump with. The plane is our old Cessna.

The signs I make today are not real, they just look that way because they are made from artificial pixels. I sold my soul to the devil and he's had his way with me. I will probably have a digital head stone printed for my grave when I die. The government is plotting against me, I just know this.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    great stuff! :thumb:

3. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    nice work as always!

just having a 'puter doesn't make a person talented. the 'puter is just one more tool like a brush or a router so it all comes down to talent, which you have no lack of. stand proud my friedn, you have not sold your soul, only moved on to a new tool to express your talents.

4. AUTO-FX

AUTO-FX Very Active Member

Feb 14, 2010
    wow, cool "dan" !!! and that u-pull-it sign is flippin sweet!!! easy on the meds though, dont want to wreck a good thing...

-Chris

5. Williams Signs

Williams Signs Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Like the boobie in the crow's nest sign.

6. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Great stuff! some of them look familar...any chance they appeared in SignCraft?

7. SignManiac

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    Nope Bill, never once submitted any work to the mags. Just some old stuff I had stored from the early days.

Thought I would have some fun poking Freehandan...Shucks he's gone already. He will be sorely missed....NOT

8. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA

When the heck did this happen ?? Not to be a :thread, but what did he do to get banned ??

He was annoying, but unless he did something behind the scenes or composed a thread so bad he got walloped off of here.... what gives ?? He was a very interesting specimen............ :omg:

9. SignManiac

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    He pretty much slammed and insulted Fred in Fred's house. I think he was pushing as hard as he could to get banned. It's one thing to diss the members here, but you don't dare disrespect Fred. He does not deserve that at all.

10. signmeup

signmeup Major Contributor

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    Nice work. Love the flying fish!

11. Si Allen

Si Allen Very Active Member

Jul 17, 2004
    :omg2:

Guess ol'Freehanddan was correct ... you don't need a computer to make outstanding signs!

:ROFLMAO:

12. SignManiac

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    LOL Si, not sure Freehanddan was correct about much of anything. Especially his conspiracy theories.

All I know is that I painted a ton of signs with 1-shot and quills and enjoyed the pictorial work the most.

13. Just Me

Just Me Active Member

Sep 29, 2004
    Cleveland, Tenn.
    love the u pull it sign, pretty awesome indeed!:thumb:

14. Ponto

Ponto Active Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I started in the "biz" coating boards for guys with similar talents and was able to witness the "craft" firsthand while they brought the boards to life.....your images bring back memories and display real talent as well...........thanks!

JP

15. Jim Doggett

Jim Doggett Very Active Member

Feb 17, 2008
    +1 to that Marlene! My friend Greg Reid (http://www.reidsigns.com/site/?page_id=10) was pretty active in the Letterheads meets back in the day. And he was branded a heretic for buying a vinyl cutter when they gained popularity.

But talent + technology = uhhhhmazing

IMHO,

Jim

16. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    Those are all outstanding, full of life and interest and readable.
    Like your pictures as well very nice indeed.
    I'm amazed you don't use the brush more often.

17. SignManiac

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    To be honest Craig, it's because I'm lazy and don't enjoy ruining all of my clothes from being covered in paint. I enjoyed hand lettering when I started but found it too limiting with regards to turning out volume work for more money. A one man painter can only produce x amount of dollars in an hour, a week, or a month. I got into business to make good money and that's still the focus of my business.

I still have all of my chisels and can hand carve all my signs or run the router table and do in one hour what would take eight hours by hand. It all comes down to time and time is money and the time we have on earth is even more limited. I want to get the most out of this journey and have realized that tools can make you more productive.

My quills are a tool, my printers and routers are tools. To me, the real enjoyment is in the creative design process, not so much the production. I chalk it up to evolution and progress. I'm continually evolving and don't want to limit myself to never adapting to the latest and greatest way to make a sign. I'll use anything that gets the job done as long the end result looks fantastic! I'm a tortured soul. I'm a bit of an egomaniac but I don't want my ego to get in the way of improving my business or my skills. I struggle with that.

18. fmg

fmg Very Active Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Some really nice pieces of work you have there!

19. chopper

chopper Very Active Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Big Lake MN
    SignManiac,
    some really nice work....I was more into truck lettering in my paint sniffin' days...
    I am saddened that freebasindan has been banned.
    and I missed out on it...:doh: but I knew it was inevitable, I thought I might share some pics of some of the old stuff I did, the best buy and grabel were done with a partner of mine , the best buy is from when they first started out...
    Picture 006.jpg

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 005.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

//chopper

20. SignManiac

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    Chopper that's some nice work! I did a ton of vehicles back then too.. I didn't mind knocking out a one off custom, but hated lettering fleet work that was the same all the time. I had a mountain of pounce patterns back in the day. I still have my pounce wheels somewhere.