• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Somebody at Ford is getting a kickback

FS-Keith

Resale? Hardly. Most municipal vehicles go out to auction when their time is done. It doesn't matter how they're painted or not. But I do agree that a certain percentage is economics with the vinyl versus paint. Since I don't wrap, I can only guess that wrapping the doors and the roofline would be only marginally cheaper than paint, once labor is figured into the job. I'll have to ask the chief if he had a choice between the wrap and paint. Methinks there wasn't!

Colorado: no, the doors and roof are definitely vinyl. The doors are even machine cut around the handles, so this was thought way ahead of time.
View attachment 77339

actually he is right, it is about the resale. we do the fleet of impala police cars in my city and they are about to start ordering Taurus's. the Person who runs the car purchasing and such came to us and asked if we could wrap the front doors and come close to his price for paint. We were about 150$ more per car and they were happy with that because when it comes time to send them to auction they can just strip the vinyl off in 1 piece as opposed to repainting doors or taking a lot less money for a skunk car

cdiesel

Ryder wraps many of their trucks yellow instead of painting.. selling a used white truck is easier than selling a yellow one.

HulkSmash

Ryder wraps many of their trucks yellow instead of painting.. selling a used white truck is easier than selling a yellow one.

you mean penske?
and if OW is alive, 3m straight lied to me... for the 100th time. I literally
had a rep call me and tell me it was shut down.

Not surprised in the least though.

scott pagan

wrapping the roof and doors of a black vehicle with white is much easier than wrapping the bumpers and fenders black on a white vehicle. much faster too :)

cajun312

I did an order of decals for our local sheriff dept. a couple of years ago, and he mentioned sending their old units to be auctioned off.
I asked him how they removed all the reflective graphics and he told me with a straight face....that takes too long, we just spray paint over the graphics.........

letterman7

actually he is right, it is about the resale. we do the fleet of impala police cars in my city and they are about to start ordering Taurus's. the Person who runs the car purchasing and such came to us and asked if we could wrap the front doors and come close to his price for paint. We were about 150$ more per car and they were happy with that because when it comes time to send them to auction they can just strip the vinyl off in 1 piece as opposed to repainting doors or taking a lot less money for a skunk car

That's partially correct. Municipal vehicles going to auction must have all markings pertaining to "Police" removed, random striping can remain. Removing everything in one fell swoop saves on labor charges for removal by whomever is doing the job. I can guarantee they don't repaint the cars when they go out for auction.

SignosaurusRex

The wrapped doors and roof are a standard option offered by Ford for their police package. Black/white combo paint is no longer an option available from the factory. They are wrapped at the factory to order then shipped to the dealer handling delivery to the respective department. It is a $840.00 option. One dislike is that they are pre-cut from a template and do not wrap into the door jambs or completely to the trim.

jfiscus

Rap Master
How will we go about getting replacement (matching) door vinyl?
I would assume that any unprinted/laminated combo should in theory work, but I wonder what they're going to do once they start wrecking the cars. We do a lot of partial cruiser (replacement) graphics once they get out of the body shop.

Thankfully, most departments around here are getting all white cars.

Also, U-Haul is now just putting white wrap vinyl over their decals/graphics when they sell their used box trucks.
Had a customer come by with a truck he just bought; I told him I could not warranty what vinyl I put on the truck as I have no idea what vinyl they used as a "cover up" so when it fails, the graphics/wrap over it will fail also.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Those demo graphics on the Ford commercial gallery for wraps are a little misleading. Those are RGB graphics on the vehicle. There's no way to get some of those colors on a wrap printing with CMYK. I hate when customers come in with a pic like that and say...I want it to look like that picture..and when I try to tell them the difference between CMYK and RGB they don't believe me and say...well they got it done. After I told them it was just a graphic proof. Arrrgggghh

jfiscus

Rap Master
Those demo graphics on the Ford commercial gallery for wraps are a little misleading. Those are RGB graphics on the vehicle. There's no way to get some of those colors on a wrap printing with CMYK. I hate when customers come in with a pic like that and say...I want it to look like that picture..and when I try to tell them the difference between CMYK and RGB they don't believe me and say...well they got it done. After I told them it was just a graphic proof. Arrrgggghh

It can be done for the most part with a printer with more than CMYK inks. Our Epson has 8 colors & hits pretty close to most colors. With the Orange, Green & lighter color inks it can hit a lot of "almost florescent" colors.

SqueeGee

We've been wrapping police units to create B&W's for a few years now with success. It's rare for them to keep a vehicle in service for 5 years in our area so durability is not an issue at all.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
It can be done for the most part with a printer with more than CMYK inks. Our Epson has 8 colors & hits pretty close to most colors. With the Orange, Green & lighter color inks it can hit a lot of "almost florescent" colors.

Yeah but I'm referring mostly to those Bright Ultraviolet looking Purples (flowers) and Bright electric looking Blue's. Those just can't be made with C/LC/Y/M/LM/K/W etc. And those are the coolest colors in my opinion. I've learned a long time ago you gotta make sure you don't show customers proofs in RGB view.

signswi

The GS6000 gamut does just get into the good purples and electric blues but just and you have to be custom profiling the machine to get near it. If you just feed it SWOP you won't get close.