• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Someone stole my design

Border

On something like this job, my approach would be to go there and meet them. Give them a close ballpark price and tell them "for a $50.00 deposit, I will take a photo and measurements and start sending layout proofs for them to look at. Once final design is approved we can adjust the final price up or down a little, if needed, but it should be very close to what I quoted up front, unless we are now doing something more significant than what we first discussed."

This usually lands and keeps the job without them feeling like they are risking a bunch of money up front before seeing seeing some sort of layout. Heck , even if ya charge them just 30 bucks up front, they will usually never take it to someone else or shop it around.

You don't HAVE to collect huge deposits to start a job like this one.

John Butto

Sign Mafia

Sometimes when cars are going a little fast down the street and they run over a rock, it can be kicked out pretty hard... sometimes even hard enough to break a window... that would be a shame, wouldn't it? :covereyes: Or a kid riding a bike down the sidewalk and "accidentally" falling into the window scratching the beautiful vinyl job... happens all the time, doesn't it? :rolleyes:
Okay, those are extreme and childish things to do... just kidding around!
Pssst... go by one night and quickly spray down the window with rapid remover...
You left out the dead horse's head in the bed.

klingsdesigns

Never had a problem before this. I trust everyone till i get burned. I def thought about all of this over this weekend and HAVE to change up some things. I typically, like this easy design don't charge for design work if they have me do the finish product.. But in this case i sent him an invoice since he took off with what i had designed.

THANKS GUYS!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sometimes when cars are going a little fast down the street and they run over a rock, it can be kicked out pretty hard... sometimes even hard enough to break a window... that would be a shame, wouldn't it? :covereyes: Or a kid riding a bike down the sidewalk and "accidentally" falling into the window scratching the beautiful vinyl job... happens all the time, doesn't it? :rolleyes:
Okay, those are extreme and childish things to do... just kidding around!
Pssst... go by one night and quickly spray down the window with rapid remover...
You left out the dead horse's head in the bed.

Now you're getting personal. We never did that and would never hurt a horse. Sending a dead fish, maybe, but not horses. That wasn't us and I wish you'd stop bringing it up all the time............ :ROFLMAO:

SD&F

Like everyone else, no deposit no design. That being said, I would go talk to him or write a letter and tell him the work that was put in to it. Then, if it is a matter of principle follow up with; you wil go to small claims court and if documented...you should win. If not worth the time and aggravation, take it as a learning experience.

threeputt

Can anyone send me an email to klings@charter.net of what your proofs/layout of proofs look like when you send them to customers?

Shouldn't you sort of try and write up something yourself? How hard can it be? You basically state "the artwork shown belongs to you and no use can be made of it without your written consent", etc.. Put in some "teeth", penalty for infringement, etc.

Seems like this is your the third post requesting someone else send you their disclaimer.

Marie

Being clear and professional upfront prevents a lot of BS down the road. If the job involves custom art, I go over the art fee as a separate charge from the actual sign. If it is stock/basic stuff, I usually just give the customer a lump price that includes a small set up fee. Then after I go over what they want and give them the price (everyone understands what's what), I say something like, "When you are ready for us to begin work on your design, we just need a deposit to start and can email you a proof in just a day or two." Friendly and direct gets the job done most of the time.

neil_se

We're probably the only shop in our region out of 30 or so companies that charges separately for artwork and requires a deposit before commencing, but we're also the only shop with dedicated, qualified graphic designers. Since we've implemented these policies we've grown considerably, we're probably double the size of any other sign company in the region. We now get customers who value our service and respect our time, so we get more SMEs & regional corporate offices rather than retail work.

Our process is similar to Marie's, if there's a significant amount of artwork required then we'll list it as a separate line item with an "artwork charge TBC" type statement, if it's simple text or just pre-press then I'll incorporate it into the price. Everyone charges for artwork somewhere, sometimes it's just factored into your overheads when working out your product margin, we prefer to be transparent and list it separately so clients are less inclined to make 20 changes because without repercussions because it's "free".

I'm happy to share some of our statements if it helps. These are only self-written but feel free to use or modify:

Our line item in a quote where artwork requirements haven't yet been discussed:
"Allowance for creation of print ready artwork
Charged at $100+GST per hour in 15 minute increments
Yet to be determined: varies depending on content, images and quality supplied by client, complexity and image sourcing required."

On our SignVox proof review email:
"Please follow the link to view and approve your proof.

Please check your proof for layout, spelling, numbers and design. This proof allows you to check colours, however variations may appear due to differences between models of PCs, monitors and printers. Dimensions and materials are listed in your quote.

Sample test prints are available at additional cost and may delay production, please contact us before approving this proof. Changes made after approval may incur additional costs. Production will not commence until artwork has been approved."

In our quotes and invoices:
"ARTWORK:
6. Quoted prices are exclusive of artwork unless stated. Print-ready artwork can be supplied by the Customer to artwork specifications, or created by our designers. Time will be charged at $25+GST per 15 minute increments.
7. It is the responsibility of the Customer to check all proofs, designs or artworks for errors or omissions, and the Customer assumes responsibility for any remaining errors or omissions in products following artwork approval. Costs of any alterations after approval will be borne by the Customer."

visual800

I dont care if I do a layout for someone and they do not get charged by me, it is MY ART! It is my design and my creativity. The only time I charge for art is when I am asked to specifically design a logo. If I am bidding on a sign packge you damn right Ill spend time laying some art out. As far as " we dont value ourselves" I disagree. I have much value on my art and designs and THAT is what sells the signage for the most part.

All art I do specifically says the art is mine and not to be used, blah, blah, blah. We have all had this discussion before and it seems I am the only one on here that doesnt charge for art. The others that do it just dont admit it.

s7graphics

Rock thru the window should do the trick. At least you'll feel better about it cuz you got screwed. Let it go. lesson learned

what the

Owner/op
It happened to me

Same thing happend to me: I had a deposit and with that I went forward and did design and purchased 12ft polycarbonate. They told me that they have someone to do it cheaper after I bought this! I stood there untill they wrote me a check for everything! Jerks- I did not apply the vinyl- The "cheaper" guy did- and with that they used my design!!
The end result- they have to wake up everyday being a unprofessional business owner- keep truckin' You'll gain without having to stand there and demanding money.

I am sure this has been posted in the past. I know it doesnt just happen to me.

I spent 2 hours designing a store front window for a company and changing their logo a bit. Went to their store and showed them samples of colors for the vinyl.
Havent heard from them for a while after i told them prices over email.
Tonight i drove past the place and it was all lettered up exactly how i had it designed.
What would you guys do send them an invoice for the two hours design time?

Whats your input?