• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Something about the Riot makes no sense to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

netsol

in the days before the riot, antifa & blm people said they intended to infiltrate the trump demonstrations, and foment violence
lets say it didn't happen. these were all misguided trump supporters who rioted (i don't know, and am unconvinced either way, at this point)

the police say they wanted to HANG MIKE PENCE

so, of these two groups, you think it is trump supporters who, if they get to pick a politician they want dead, would choose mike pence. i am a trump supporter, and in spite of his differences of late with the president, and trump expressing his disappointment with pence, i would still hoist mike pence on my shoulders and carry him around as a hero. (i am reasonably sure GINO would get on the other side so i could keep him balanced)

if they gave it the ring of truth, and said they were going to hang mitt romney, for example, i would not be so sure. he has never missed an opportunity to stab the president in the back. but why would trump supporters kill a staunch ally. especially at a time when trump is truly finding out what herbert hoover meant when he said, if you want a friend in washington, GET A DOG

I have seen the footage of police opening the barricades to let the protesters in.
was this trump sympathizers among the capitol police (he had a 4 % approval in DC before things started going bad for him) or did they figure they would let a bunch of trump supporters in, so they would have something for the evening news. (and imagine their surprise when the group did more than just steal all the W's off the keyboards)

just trying to make sense of a situation, out of the twilight zone, as far as i am concerned

republicans don't riot (which is why no government official is afraid of them, and they are often treated like a doormat)

netsol

Just to be clear
no one supports the riot, certainly not me,, people should be prosecuted..

i am just not sure the news is giving us an accurate story (THERE' S A FIRST TIME FOR EVERYTHING)

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
IMO to think that the hard core “Trumpers” are any less violent/dangerous than the hard core Antifa/BLM players is naive, they’ve all got their extremist whom easily distract from the groups message. Personally (as a person w no horse in this race as I think both parties are pretty embarrassing right now) I think the Trumpers have to own up on this one.

netsol

IMO to think that the hard core “Trumpers” are any less violent/dangerous than the hard core Antifa/BLM players is naive, they’ve all got their extremist whom easily distract from the groups message. Personally (as a person w no horse in this race as I think both parties are pretty embarrassing right now) I think the Trumpers have to own up on this one.

I have been a trump supporter from the beginning. until this week i would have laughed at you if you told me about violent trump supporters.

what cities have "we" occupied for the last 180 days? none.

i am legitimately baffled by current events.

if you remember, during obama times, it was the "tea party" & they even picked up all their own garbage after a "demonstration" which was always condemned by the other side. they never left a city in ruins. perhaps my sample group of fellow trump supporters have been an outlier. STILL NOT SURE

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't sit on his shoulder, but I'd carry the flag out front for us.

This conversation/thread won't last long, but while we have this moment, let's just say...... it's all over now. If the correct people are prosecuted, it will be very hard to find any true trumpers or republicans in the mess. It will most likely be antifa and other supporters of the rich leftists.

The probes and investigations won't be near as thorough as they have been against trump for 3.5 years.

"Rigged" is the only all around perfect word for all of this.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
It's not about sides. Americans did this, if you don't condone destruction and violence then you should be against this sort of thing rather then debate the who why and how.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Aww, C'mon man, don't talk so dumb. Ach, I don't condone killing or murder, but if my family was in danger, I'd kill anything in my way to stop it. Of course you wanna know what happened, who started it and who is to really blame. Look at the last 4 years.......... it truly was a witch hunt.

netsol

Notarealsignguy

while i don't feel i need your permission to wonder why, we are in a country that responded to the 911 attacks with 10 years of "why do they hate us"
i think i am asking a legitimate question. none of that seemed characteristic of any of the trump supporters i have ever met.

as i said, as a show of good faith, i would be willing to relinquish all of the cities the trump supporters occupy. this just isn't part of our playbook, or most of the
78,000,000 of us wouldn't be on that side.

netsol

something odd going on
depending which computer (and which browser) i use behrmon is either hidden, or visible or shows up as "ignored user"

is this something he did, or something i did?
(yes, i know, i am the one who claims to be the computer consultant)

is ignored user a function i know nothing about?

Notarealsignguy

Aww, C'mon man, don't talk so dumb. Ach, I don't condone killing or murder, but if my family was in danger, I'd kill anything in my way to stop it. Of course you wanna know what happened, who started it and who is to really blame. Look at the last 4 years.......... it truly was a witch hunt.
It wasn't directed at you, it just happened to be after your post. I know you don't condone this sort of thing.

Notarealsignguy

something odd going on
depending which computer (and which browser) i use behrmon is either hidden, or visible or shows up as "ignored user"

is this something he did, or something i did?
(yes, i know, i am the one who claims to be the computer consultant)

is ignored user a function i know nothing about?
Yes, click a name and in the pop-up there's an ignore option. Maybe you hit it on accident?

Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy

while i don't feel i need your permission to wonder why, we are in a country that responded to the 911 attacks with 10 years of "why do they hate us"
i think i am asking a legitimate question. none of that seemed characteristic of any of the trump supporters i have ever met.

as i said, as a show of good faith, i would be willing to relinquish all of the cities the trump supporters occupy. this just isn't part of our playbook, or most of the
78,000,000 of us wouldn't be on that side.
I agree but there are these types in every sort of group. There are violent trump supporters just the same as there are violent liberals and the there are violent apolitical types too. That doesn't represent the majority of any political leaning though. I never felt that trump supporters were violent and I also never felt that liberals were either. It's just a small offshoot. There were a lot of people at all of these protests yet it was a small group that caused the problems. As the saying goes, 1 bad apple spoils the bunch.

netsol

if you had told me something like this was going to happen at a trump protest, i would have thought you were crazy.
\
i guess you never know.

ikarasu

republicans don't riot (which is why no government official is afraid of them, and they are often treated like a doormat)

This is where you're wrong in your thinking. It's like me saying Democrats don't Riot, or BLM protestors don't riot, and everything you see in the news is fake.

Monks don't riot... or burn themselves in fire.. But when there was a cause they believed in, they sure as hell did.

How many people were protesting at the capitol? hundreds, thousands? And how many broke in and turned the protesting into rioting? 1-2 dozen? Is it so hard to think a dozen people saw an opportunity to do this and decided to show up?

There are crazies on both sides of the fence. Rather than trying to defend "Republicans", Denounce the people who did this and point it outs not how republicans act, and just because theyre diehard pro trump and call themselves a Republican, it doesn't mean thats what Republicans stand for.

There is so much evidence and proof that all these people snapping photos of themselves were in fact Republicans... I don't see why it's still being denied. But again... We learned time and time again that generalizing a group of people due to a few bad apples is wrong, the same goes towards Republicans.

90% of S101 are Republicans - Am I worried you guys will march to DC and blow up the capital? do I respect, or think any less of anyone on here because of what some idiots did? Nope...

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

There is so much evidence and proof that all these people snapping photos of themselves
Ha, this is the part that gets me the most. How much stupid do you need to eat in order to think that its a good idea to document, in photos, all of the crimes you are committing? Then go post in on facebook - HEY GUYS LOOK AT ME!! All of the pictures of people taking selfies in there really kinda kicks down the toughness factor a few pegs too. I can't wait for social media to lose it's appeal.

WildWestDesigns

It's not about sides. Americans did this, if you don't condone destruction and violence then you should be against this sort of thing rather then debate the who why and how.

This unfortunately assumes that there is a middle ground and that has been eroded, certainly over the last year. But it's been the case over the last 4 yrs. And depending on how much of a geek/nerd you are, one would have seen this type of culture coming since about 2011. There is a line of thought out there, that the first way to destroy a society is to corrupt their pop culture.

WildWestDesigns

Ha, this is the part that gets me the most. How much stupid do you need to eat in order to think that its a good idea to document, in photos, all of the crimes you are committing? Then go post in on facebook - HEY GUYS LOOK AT ME!! All of the pictures of people taking selfies in there really kinda kicks down the toughness factor a few pegs too. I can't wait for social media to lose it's appeal.

That's why back in there summer, you had people pleading for people not to do that once they figured out that it was being used against them.

Heat of the moment, people do what they are used to without much thinking. If they are used to posting vids/pics (and as an affluent society where that's where people get their endorphin high), that's what they are going to do to with much thought about it.

I certainly hope that social media does lose it's appeal and quickly. Put that little "experiment" to bed.

unclebun

I think the majority of the people who went into the capitol were there on a lark. They really didn't have a purpose beforehand. They were there shouting in front of barricades, maybe some were pushing and struggling. But I've seen the video of the guards taking away a barricade, and I've read a state representative who said he just calmly walked through an open double door and went to the rotunda. But there seemed to be a few who were going to try to do something, though I haven't heard anything at all about what that might have been. But after looking at photos that are available on the internet, the photos of the people who ended up banging on doors and breaking windows seemed to be very few in number. The published photos give you the idea that it's a huge mob. But when you look at the actual size photos, many of which are full size pictures from digital cameras, you can see that what looks like a full room of angry people is really about 2-3 rows of angry-looking people interspersed about 60/40 with guards in riot gear. And all the people you can see behind them are other cops and guards standing along the back wall of the room. There's nobody between those front rows and the back of the room, but at a glance on a phone or the size they show the photo on a news page it looks like a huge mob.

I also get the impression that the police who basically walked into the building with these people weren't really trying to stop them, and perhaps didn't think they were much of a threat. Even in the video of the woman who was shot, the police in the hallway with the people weren't really acting as if their lives were threatened as they moved about through the crowd. However the guard who shot the woman was hiding in a side doorway, as were several others, and seemed to think this was their dying moment.

Were there people in Washington who were intent on mayhem? Probably yes, if you believe they made the social media posts attributed to them beforehand. And if the various pipe bombs reported to have been left around at the DNC, RNC, and other places were really placed by people and not government agents as a ruse, then obviously yes. But I believe the majority of those who went in the capitol had no idea what they were going to do when they got in there. That's why they did stupid things like have their picture taken sitting at Pelosi's desk or carry a podium around. How could that be a major insurrection? What would it even do if they managed to do as much as kill a legislator? Our form of government is supposed to spread the reins around enough that it can survive those kinds of things. Oh, sure, the media talking heads would be apoplectic to get more ratings.

In reality the most they could have accomplished would have been to be a noisy disruption, perhaps chanting "Decertify" in the hallways or having a sit-in in the Rotunda or something. But I don't think they were even organized enough for that, and frankly even the guy who took his picture in Pelosi's office seemed to have come to his senses immediately afterward when he posted that he would likely need a really good lawyer. It was all a useless action and the noise about it now is even less useful. And the legislators and others calling it the worst blow to democracy ever and a major insurrection and all that are even more useless. If they think our republic is that fragile, it can only be because they know they have done something to make it that fragile. When they talk about how the capitol is the people's building, and it was "desecrated", exactly who do they think the people are? Those who were roaming the halls were the people, just like the ones looting and burning and killing all year are the people. Those who stayed outside are the people. Those who were at home are the people. Besides, there is nothing holy about the capitol building. Destroying it would not destroy our country. Representatives can meet anywhere. And that's what they are. The people's representatives, though it seems that once they are ensconced in power they forget about all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.