• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Something about the Riot makes no sense to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclebun

I certainly hope that social media does lose it's appeal and quickly. Put that little "experiment" to bed.

Personally, I think they should make it such that in order to keep their section 230 exemption, no social media can have any government official or agency and no political candidate posting on their medium, and make the same prohibition for any government official or agency or political candidate. And also that no news media can write a story when the only source is social media.

Snydo

I certainly hope that social media does lose it's appeal and quickly. Put that little "experiment" to bed.

Couldn't agree more with that statement. Anyone with an hour to kill this weekend should check out the documentary "The Social Dilemma" on Netflix, it interviews the people that created most of the current social media structure and they are sounding alarms about how damaging it has been to society.

ikarasu

I think the majority of the people who went into the capitol were there on a lark. They really didn't have a purpose beforehand. They were there shouting in front of barricades, maybe some were pushing and struggling. But I've seen the video of the guards taking away a barricade, and I've read a state representative who said he just calmly walked through an open double door and went to the rotunda.

Wasnt the guy who walked through the door and let people in, a different incedent in oregon or something?

anyways... I think 99% of the people there were their protesting. A few people were there for violence... And then a few got caught up in the moment. The guy who smashed a cop in the head and killed him? He didnt get caught up in the moment. The people smashing windows and trying to get into congress when it was in session? those people were idiots, and the cops had reason to fear them. The people who took advantage of the situation and strolled into the capital? I think they didn't make the smartest choice... but they're not "terrorists"... just people caught up in a bad decision who didn't make the smartest choice. Sadly most of their lives are likely ruined over it. Lots of people who got identified got fired, lots are in jail... Intent to due harm or damage or not... breaking into a government building thats supposed to be secured is one of the dumbest things you can do.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/07/us/capitol-mob-deaths/index.html I know you guys love CNN... but this is the first link that came up, and I'm too lazy to find another!
It posts a little snippet about a few of the deaths and people who died. Everyone that died... They seem like normal people. Their families said while they are huge trump supporters, what they were doing when they died was out of their character. And thats why it's so sad...

What do you do? A slap on the wrist? Then it opens the doors for this to constantly happen. Despite the intentions... what happened is a big deal, and something needs to happen to ensure it doesn't happen again.

I think those who were smashing windows and forcing their way in need serious consequences. Those who just strolled in and were part of the crowd... they need a bit more than a slap on their wrist, but their lives shouldnt be over because of a mistake they made in the heat of the moment.

WildWestDesigns

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/07/us/capitol-mob-deaths/index.html I know you guys love CNN... but this is the first link that came up, and I'm too lazy to find another!

So you get your information from one source and that's it? Again, that doesn't do well for a middle ground. And bare in mind, CNN is the source for the infamous "Fiery, but mostly peaceful protest" as a building was burning in the background (which was actually quite common place throughout those protests throughout the year and still happened despite not being reported on due to the bad optics).

WildWestDesigns

Personally, I think they should make it such that in order to keep their section 230 exemption, no social media can have any government official or agency and no political candidate posting on their medium, and make the same prohibition for any government official or agency or political candidate. And also that no news media can write a story when the only source is social media.

While I agree with that, I doubt it would happen. To many ways for it to be used to keep people in power. Media of all types can be used for propaganda and if it all becomes an echo chamber, that's a very bad, bad thing. That's why anyone that believe in any type of censorship is a good thing, is on a very, very dangerous road. No matter the good intentions (you know what they say about good intentions don't you?)

netsol

I think the majority of the people who went into the capitol were there on a lark. They really didn't have a purpose beforehand. They were there shouting in front of barricades, maybe some were pushing and struggling. But I've seen the video of the guards taking away a barricade, and I've read a state representative who said he just calmly walked through an open double door and went to the rotunda. But there seemed to be a few who were going to try to do something, though I haven't heard anything at all about what that might have been. But after looking at photos that are available on the internet, the photos of the people who ended up banging on doors and breaking windows seemed to be very few in number. The published photos give you the idea that it's a huge mob. But when you look at the actual size photos, many of which are full size pictures from digital cameras, you can see that what looks like a full room of angry people is really about 2-3 rows of angry-looking people interspersed about 60/40 with guards in riot gear. And all the people you can see behind them are other cops and guards standing along the back wall of the room. There's nobody between those front rows and the back of the room, but at a glance on a phone or the size they show the photo on a news page it looks like a huge mob.

I also get the impression that the police who basically walked into the building with these people weren't really trying to stop them, and perhaps didn't think they were much of a threat. Even in the video of the woman who was shot, the police in the hallway with the people weren't really acting as if their lives were threatened as they moved about through the crowd. However the guard who shot the woman was hiding in a side doorway, as were several others, and seemed to think this was their dying moment.

Were there people in Washington who were intent on mayhem? Probably yes, if you believe they made the social media posts attributed to them beforehand. And if the various pipe bombs reported to have been left around at the DNC, RNC, and other places were really placed by people and not government agents as a ruse, then obviously yes. But I believe the majority of those who went in the capitol had no idea what they were going to do when they got in there. That's why they did stupid things like have their picture taken sitting at Pelosi's desk or carry a podium around. How could that be a major insurrection? What would it even do if they managed to do as much as kill a legislator? Our form of government is supposed to spread the reins around enough that it can survive those kinds of things. Oh, sure, the media talking heads would be apoplectic to get more ratings.

In reality the most they could have accomplished would have been to be a noisy disruption, perhaps chanting "Decertify" in the hallways or having a sit-in in the Rotunda or something. But I don't think they were even organized enough for that, and frankly even the guy who took his picture in Pelosi's office seemed to have come to his senses immediately afterward when he posted that he would likely need a really good lawyer. It was all a useless action and the noise about it now is even less useful. And the legislators and others calling it the worst blow to democracy ever and a major insurrection and all that are even more useless. If they think our republic is that fragile, it can only be because they know they have done something to make it that fragile. When they talk about how the capitol is the people's building, and it was "desecrated", exactly who do they think the people are? Those who were roaming the halls were the people, just like the ones looting and burning and killing all year are the people. Those who stayed outside are the people. Those who were at home are the people. Besides, there is nothing holy about the capitol building. Destroying it would not destroy our country. Representatives can meet anywhere. And that's what they are. The people's representatives, though it seems that once they are ensconced in power they forget about all that.

unclebun

they didn't understand what they were starting. if they were anti-trump protesters, we would hear they were following their conscience, the police would be charged & they would be naming high schools and post offices after the protesters.

it sure sounds to me like EVERYONE can be charged with felony murder

ikarasu

So you get your information from one source and that's it? Again, that doesn't do well for a middle ground. And bare in mind, CNN is the source for the infamous "Fiery, but mostly peaceful protest" as a building was burning in the background (which was actually quite common place throughout those protests throughout the year and still happened despite not being reported on due to the bad optics).
CNN is painting the protesters that died in a good light...news I've heard from multiple sources. It's just the first google result I saw, so it's the one I posted.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Ha, this is the part that gets me the most. How much stupid do you need to eat in order to think that its a good idea to document, in photos, all of the crimes you are committing? Then go post in on facebook - HEY GUYS LOOK AT ME!! All of the pictures of people taking selfies in there really kinda kicks down the toughness factor a few pegs too. I can't wait for social media to lose it's appeal.

There is a saying.jpg

netsol

fred,
it is frightening the power we have given to sergey brin, jackdorsey and that horrid little sh*t zuckerberg. it makes you realize how restrained william rsndolph hearst was, 100 years earlier.

230 repeal is desperately needed, but i doubt it will come

i would love to see the vast majority of trump's 78,000,000 voters cancel their facebook accounts. (we really need to hit back, in a non violent way, THAT REALLY HURTS)

it has been said, (hard to tell truth from yet another wild conspiracy theory) that bill gates has a microchipping technology he wants/wanted to be inserted into the vaccines to track who has been vaccinated, and exposure going forward. the practical problems in a rapid worldwide vaccination effort would provide a data gathering opportunity that would make facebook, apple, google and the others seem like pikers

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
it has been said, (hard to tell truth from yet another wild conspiracy theory) that bill gates has a microchipping technology he wants/wanted to be inserted into the vaccines to track who has been vaccinated, and exposure going forward. the practical problems in a rapid worldwide vaccination effort would provide a data gathering opportunity that would make facebook, apple, google and the others seem like pikers

From what I know of Bill Gates, I find it doubtful that at this point in his life he has any need to expand his wealth or power. He seems to have a high interest in third world countries and helping them with medical solutions. Taking that, along with the conspiracy theory you put forward, it wouldn't surprise me if there is a kernel of truth to it that would be intended to help third world nations better deal with the covid pandemic.

I would be concerned about any sort of government action to reign in social media through legislation. What is needed IMHO, is a campaign similar to what we've seen with anti-smoking that would educate the public at every opportunity so as to either bring pressure on these companies to properly clean up their acts or to dissuade individuals from partaking in their offerings.

Last edited:

netsol

yes fred, the only thing worse than watching the likes of zuckerberg, sergey brin & jack dorsey running around unfettered is to let nancy pelosi & chuck shumer "deliberate" and come up with a solution.

remember in simpler times, when you didn't have so clear a picture of what "the inmates are running the asylum" meant?

Gene@mpls

remember in simpler times, when you didn't have so clear a picture of what "the inmates are running the asylum" meant?

I assume you mean Nancy and Chuck as the inmates? I thought that Trump was running this particular asylum?

The violence in most cases [on both sides] can be laid at the door of the White Nationalists and Quasi-fascists IMHO. They are promoting a new civil war and are the dudes in body armor and with AR15s strapped across there [often] ample stomachs. DC had the sense to not allow open carry or we would have seen a real S--t storm.

netsol

when you say they don't allow open carry, i take it you have never experienced a visit to the crown jewel of our country
quite the crime rate, a history of a previous mayor smoking crack, it's a gem...

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
when you say they don't allow open carry, i take it you have never experienced a visit to the crown jewel of our country
quite the crime rate, a history of a previous mayor smoking crack, it's a gem...
I think that if you have ever been to DC, especially SE, we could debate the rationale

Status
Not open for further replies.